Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corruption of LR 3 catalog  (Read 3425 times)

DThomas

Corruption of LR 3 catalog
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:11:18 pm »

I recently added the NIK Silver EFEX Pro v2.0 as a plug-in to LR (Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit system).  After a session using this tool I closed LR.  Nest, on attempting to open LR, I received the following message: "Lightroom catalogue named "Lightroom 3 Catalog" cannot be opened as another application already has it is opened.  Quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch."  I cannot find anything else open that links to the LR catalogue and have no other catalogue.  I tried reinstalling LR 3, but to no effect.  Please give me any thoughts on what is going on and what I can do to fix this?

Thanks for any help you can provide, Dave

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Corruption of LR 3 catalog
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:14:34 pm »

Look in the folder where the LR catalogue is located, and see if there is a lock file there. If so, delete it.

I assume you've restarted the PC.

John

DThomas

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I looked in the folder and can find no indication of a locked file or folder.  I have rebooted my computer several times.

Dave

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:08:40 am »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I looked in the folder and can find no indication of a locked file or folder.  I have rebooted my computer several times.

Dave

It is not a ´locked file or folder´ you´re looking for (and rebooting won´t help).

What you´re looking for is a very small (42 bytes on a Mac) file called ´Lightroom Database-3.lrcat.lock´ or similar right beside the ´Lightroom Database-3.lrcat´ file (which is HUGE; it´s the catalog itself).  While Lightroom is NOT running, erase that small ´.lock´ file, and leave everything else as is. Then try to start Lightroom again.

This kind of lock files are a very common method of flagging a database as being open.  They don´t contain any info; their mere existence or non-existence is the message. So, when Lightroom closes the correct way, it finishes the process by removing this file, and then recreates it when it opens again.
Per Ofverbeck
My

DThomas

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:06:06 pm »

This clarification is very helpful.  I've found the offending lock, removed it and LR has become a good citizen again. :D

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:25:19 pm »

Great info, thanks. I'm in the same situation.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up