Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are the Panasonic GH2?  (Read 3549 times)

SarasotaSam

Where are the Panasonic GH2?
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:32:49 am »

It is surprising that there seem to not be any Panasonic GH2 cameras available on any of the popular camera seller sites. Especially since the camera debuted in September 2010. I have read rumors that there was a problem with the sensor and the camera is back in the "shop". Maybe Michael can shed some light on the lack of available cameras, since he gave it such a glowing review.

Thanks - Sam

michael

Re: Where are the Panasonic GH2?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:42 am »

There is nothing going on that I'm aware of other than that demand is high and conservative Panasonic management just isn't forecasting and making enough of them. Same with the GH1 a few years ago.

Michael

SarasotaSam

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:29 am »

Thank you Michael - Though it is perplexing that Panasonic has limited the number of cameras, especially after all the positive reviews it has received.

On another note your photos have been very nostalgic for me. I spent three months in Mexico in the late seventies and quite a bit of time in San Miguel, traveling with my Lecia and OM1, and was considering teaching photography at the Instituto Allende. If you are interested, here are a few photos from that time.

All the Best - Sam

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »

It is surprising that there seem to not be any Panasonic GH2 cameras available on any of the popular camera seller sites. Especially since the camera debuted in September 2010. I have read rumors that there was a problem with the sensor and the camera is back in the "shop". Maybe Michael can shed some light on the lack of available cameras, since he gave it such a glowing review.

Thanks - Sam
In stock at amazon.co.uk, for what it's worth.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:13:40 am »

Conservative management under a global crisis seems right to me. I bough mine from Germany a week ago (live in Portugal), from a reputable online shop (Technikdirekt). I also bought another GF1+20mm kit from the UK (from Robert White), they had a last batch in stock for a really low price. So yes, they are difficult to find, but not impossible.

bg2b

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »

They show up fairly regularly, but disappear fairly quickly too (for instance, I notice that Amazon has a couple available at this minute).  If you want one, just place an order with whoever your favorite retailer is and then wait a bit.

John Camp

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »

They show up fairly regularly, but disappear fairly quickly too (for instance, I notice that Amazon has a couple available at this minute).  If you want one, just place an order with whoever your favorite retailer is and then wait a bit.

The Amazon cameras are priced at more than $1800 -- twice normal retail. They haven't had any normal retail GH2s in a long time.

bg2b

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:01 am »

Those are 14-140mm kits, not the 14-42mm ones.  There's some mark-up, but not 2x.

flaxseedoil1000

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:44:14 am »

Took me a few months but finally got a GH2 w/ 14-140mm from Amazon a couple of days ago.

I bookmarked the panny page on nowinstock.net and checked it regularly.

Around 2am on March 2rd Amazon showed as 'preorder'.

Went to Amazon and it said they expected them March 8th. I hit the preorder button.

Around 7am Amazon sent me the following:

” “Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 16.05 MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3-inch Free-Angle Touch Screen LCD and 14-140mm HD Hybrid Lens (Black)”

Previous estimated arrival date: March 11 2011

New estimated arrival date: March 07 2011″

By this time Amazon was showing them as out of stock again.

That same evening Amazon notified me it had shipped.

With Amazon prime I received it 2 days later on March 4th.

So it went from a preorder to having it 2 days later.

The Amazon price was $1499. All those other inflated prices are third parties.

My 20mm prime from Amazon arrives tomorrow :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up