Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya AFD and manual lens  (Read 1347 times)

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
Mamiya AFD and manual lens
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:18:34 am »

Can the Mamiya AFD series shoot without a lens? Or more precisely, with a manual lens via a nonelectronic adapter? Is it then possible to set the apterture in AV mode for metering? Since autofocus will not be used, does it make sense to get say an AFDIII instead of an AFD body (the body will be for this lens only)?
thanks!

ondebanks

Re: Mamiya AFD and manual lens
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:40 am »

Can the Mamiya AFD series shoot without a lens? Or more precisely, with a manual lens via a nonelectronic adapter? Is it then possible to set the apterture in AV mode for metering? Since autofocus will not be used, does it make sense to get say an AFDIII instead of an AFD body (the body will be for this lens only)?
thanks!

Yes; yes; yes; no.  :)

("No", because why pay more for the improved AF in the AFDIII when you will not be using AF?)

Ray

mediumcool

Re: Mamiya AFD and manual lens
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:24:27 am »

I use all manual lenses on my AFD body; they are Mamiya lenses so bayonet straight on, but have to be stopped down manually, and I meter that way too, but find the meter quite inaccurate. I look at the histogram on my Aptus 22 back as an exposure guide.

Using all manual is a bit of a pain, but it means I can employ not-available-in-auto lenses like the 50mm shift, 80mm Macro and 145mm SF. Kit cost with AFD/Aptus 22/seven lenses was about $7K.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up