Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff - PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package VS Ultimate-Pro Omni-PivotPack  (Read 15968 times)

Hervé

Hello
I'm new and I read your forum with interest from France.
I practice multi-row and single-row panoramic photography.
Actually, I shoot multi-row panoramas with a 360Precision adjuste and my VR panoramas with a Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 (for a range of telephoto lens to fisheye).
Carrying in my bag, both systems is not ideal, I plan to provide me with RRS equipment for versatility and modularity greater compactness and lightweight.

I wanted to know/understand the difference between the panoramic head Ultimate-Pro Omni-PivotPackage and the panoramic head PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package from Really Right Stuff.

Could you please, help me understand this difference and maybe give me your advice and feedbacks?

The only thing that bothers me in this change, is the absence of incremented rotator with RRS. Is there a solution on this issue with the RRS system or should I keep preciously my Nodal Ninja Advanced rotator D4 with 2,3,4,6 stops detent options and pan lock?

Many thanks,
Hervé

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net

I have had the nodal ninja and the RRS Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package. After using both for a year, I sold the nodal ninja and went with RRS.  I am like you in that I like to shoot mosaic panoramics from wide angle and telephoto lenses.  I shoot with lenses ranging from 15mm to 400mm.  With the nodal ninja, the detents were nice when you were shooting in a normal range lens...say between 24mm and 70mm.  When I put a longer lens on, there were two problems: One, the Nodal Ninja wasn't strong enough to hold the camera and lens in place without some bending or leaning.  Two, the detents were too large and I couldn't stop between them to take photos.  It was very frustrating.

I have been using the RRS exclusively for years and I don't mind the lack of detents. 

As for the difference between the PG-02 and the original version...The new version shares panning clamps with their new gimble equipment. This means that with some extra gear, you can use your panoramic setup as a gimble setup...perhaps for bird photography.  I do bird photography as well, and I wish that I had their newer version.  If I were to purchase it today, I would get the PG-02.  It also looks a bit more compact. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

vandevanterSH

Hello
Actually, I shoot multi-row panoramas with a 360Precision adjuste and my VR panoramas with a Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 (for a range of telephoto lens to fisheye).
Carrying in my bag, both systems is not ideal, I plan to provide me with RRS equipment for versatility and modularity greater compactness and lightweight.

I wanted to know/understand the difference between the panoramic head Ultimate-Pro Omni-PivotPackage and the panoramic head PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package from Really Right Stuff.

Could you please, help me understand this difference and maybe give me your advice and feedbacks?

The only thing that bothers me in this change, is the absence of incremented rotator with RRS. Is there a solution on this issue with the RRS system or should I keep preciously my Nodal Ninja Advanced rotator D4 with 2,3,4,6 stops detent options and pan lock?

Many thanks,
Hervé

I have the original Pro-Omni and like it.  One advantage of the RRS "stuff" is that the parts are often multi-functional and can be used in other configurations.  The "weakness" of the original Omni is locking-down the upper PCL-1 clamp.  I plan on upgrading my system with the PG-02 vertical arm and clamp.  I have no experience the Nodal Ninja.

Steve

Hervé

Thank you fike for your answer  ;)

Hervé

Thank you fike and Steve for your answer  ;)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

The pg-02 is much more robust!

Cheers,
Bernard

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

I have ended up with both  but have pretty much retired the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package. The gimbal in the PG-02VA is much more robust than the PCL-1 as a vertical rotational device.  I also now use the CB-10 camera bar in place of the Ultimate Pro Omni- Pivot' s shorter rail for horizontal displacement as I use a  tall bodied cameras like the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III (the newly announced EOS-1Dx is even taller).
"pretty much retired" doesn't mean I have sold off the second PCL-1 and rail - i just use them for other types of work.

11/14/2011 addendum: If you are looking at  piecing together an alternate version of the  PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot kit, and don't mind carrying the extra length and slightly heavier weight around, consider using the 18" long CB-18 in place of the 10" long CB-10. The rig feels a little more balanced if you have some of the rail coming out the opposite side of the PCL-1 from the camera bearing PG-02 VA side.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:03:37 pm by Ellis Vener »

K.C.

I asked the same question here a few months back. Since then I've purchased all of the different RRS pano packages and tried them out.

While it's true the PG-02 is much more substantial I wouldn't underestimate what you can do with the Omni Pro package. Shooting with anything up to a fast 200mm or 70-200mm the Omni Pro package is great. Once you get to a 300mm it gets a little tricky to make vertical adjustments on PCL-1 clamp simply because of the weight your putting on it. It will support the weight but you need to be very careful when you loosen the clamp.

I finally decided to go with the PG02 Pano-Gimbal Head and the Pano elements package to handle everything from my 17mm to my 400mm.

I work with a Gitzo self leveling base which makes it really easy to switch between the setups directly on top without using a ball head. Changing back to a RRS BH55 or other head is equally quick and simple.

K.C.

11/14/2011 addendum: If you are looking at  piecing together an alternate version of the  PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot kit, and don't mind carrying the extra length and slightly heavier weight around, consider using the 18" long CB-18 in place of the 10" long CB-10. The rig feels a little more balanced if you have some of the rail coming out the opposite side of the PCL-1 from the camera bearing PG-02 VA side.

The pano gimbal horizontal base gives you a more compact, rigid package and feels completely balanced.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

The pano gimbal horizontal base gives you a more compact, rigid package and feels completely balanced.

Yep, this is an excellent part but you need to be willing to either give up on a ball head (use a leveling base) or add many parts.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Yep, this is an excellent part but you need to be willing to either give up on a ball head (use a leveling base) or add many parts.

For panoramic work I have happily given up on ballheads. They still have their place of course, and it is also true that many leveling bases - like Really Right  Stuff's and Acra-Tech's -- are really ball and cup designs with a limited degree of tilt and no panning base or top.

I know use a very heavy duty  (and heavy) Foba ASMIA tripod head with a Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamp on top. Alternatives are the Arca-Swiss Cube and D4, and the Induro PHQ-3 all of which incorporate  a panning head. The Arca-Swiss heads are terrific  intricate high precision precision machines.

If I am traveling and weight is a factor I'll use a Manfrotto 338 leveling base ( http://www.manfrotto.us/qtvr-leveling-head) topped with an RRS  PCL-1. As I already am traveling with the rest of my RRS panning kit (CB-10, PG-02 VA & MPR-CL II nodal slide) I'll use the PG-02VA to take care of tilting when just shooting  single .

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

This is what I use. Could add an MPR rail for proper nodal rotation, but I never really felt a need for it. All fits in my pockets.

I actually have an MPR rail, just don't care to use it, but I may start using it.

Best regards
Erik

Hello

Many thanks,
Hervé
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:15:40 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up