Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mantitou River Morning  (Read 1541 times)

kenben

Mantitou River Morning
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:32 pm »

I had scouted out this location the evening before and came back before daybreak the next morning and set up my camera and tripod.I proceeded to take about 30 to 40 exposures as the lighting changed.As it turned out the above photo was the last shot that I had taken

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Re: Mantitou River Morning
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:24:09 am »

There is a zone, near the middle section of the photograph, which looks very promising: there is combination of mist, light, and water (or even the back-lighted plant at the left) that could produce something far more interesting. Just my humble opinion.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:55:24 am »

I find my eyes wandering around the image for something to rest on, but it doesn't happen. The image would make a nice frame for a focal point such as a fish to jump out of the water or even a dog taking a drink. The overall exposure is very good with nice blacks and near whites. :-\

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:06:53 am »

I find my good things in this image but as stamper said nothing that attracts my attention. The misty zone is very nice and you could have spent more time on it (easy to say, I know). The quality of the light is very good.
In the end, it's a not a bad photo but with more time, you can probably achieve a much better result.
Francois

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:30:58 am »

More specifically, the problem with your picture (which at first glance is very pleasant, with all the right bits in it for a river & trees shot) is one of framing (or composition, if you prefer). If you convert it to B/W you can see this more clearly. The picture hinges around a point just about halfway down the frame - above this are trees, below is river. Now halves are always bad news for composition - our eye, instead of blending this into a harmonious whole, sees two pictures, and keeps trying to flit between them. The good old rule of thirds, tiresome though it may be, does actually exist for a sensible reason. Part of the cause for this poor framing decision is probably to do with your tripod - having set up the miserable three-legged beast, we are understandably henceforth very reluctant to move it. Whereas a better strategy might have been to ditch the tripod, and "walk the shot", looking for alternative framing choices as the light changed.

John

PS I hope you will forgive me, but I have somewhat brutally cropped your picture just to illustrate the point, setting the tree/river division in a more conventional (and I feel comfortable) position. See what you think.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:13:08 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »

My first thought was that I like the light, but I don't like the tilted horizon.  Without knowing what's to the left of the frame, I'd also be tempted to pan left and remove that dead branch sticking up from the right side.  I think John has a good point as well about 'splitting the image, so I'd probably try pointing the camera down a bit more.

Mike.

Since John's already played with it...

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:09:57 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up