Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calculating Back-Up Drive Capacity  (Read 1945 times)

Kit-V

Calculating Back-Up Drive Capacity
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:42 am »

Not sure if this is a valid question to ask. I am trying to determine an adequate storage capacity for a back-up portable HD. I use a Canon 400D & a Canon G11 to shoot RAW. Although  the size of RAW files can vary, is there any basic rule-of-thumb regarding the average RAW file size? If so, I can get a rough estimate of the storage capacity I will need to back up my CF/SD cards.

Thank you.
Falling Fork Photography

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Calculating Back-Up Drive Capacity
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:01 pm »

Not sure if this is a valid question to ask. I am trying to determine an adequate storage capacity for a back-up portable HD. I use a Canon 400D & a Canon G11 to shoot RAW. Although  the size of RAW files can vary, is there any basic rule-of-thumb regarding the average RAW file size? If so, I can get a rough estimate of the storage capacity I will need to back up my CF/SD cards.

Thank you.

Check the size of the entire folder of your existing RAWs on your HDD, divide by # of RAWs.

Alternatively, I believe DPReview gives RAW sizes in their camera reviews, and I'm sure some other reviews.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Calculating Back-Up Drive Capacity
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »

You can also guesstimate with the number of shots the camera gives... Note that it changes a bit with ISO (the more sensibility, the more noise, the bigger filesize).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up