Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best time to goto Iceland ?  (Read 25773 times)

kuau

Best time to goto Iceland ?
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:04 am »

My wife and I want to go to iceland this year and was looking at a photo workshop put on by haselblad
The trip is in Late  september.
Is this a good time to go?

steven

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Re: Best time to goto Iceland ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:26:36 pm »

Phase One did a trip there last year, about that time, if I recall correctly.  I was there last summer last in July on a workshop with Daniel Bergman - highly recommended.  The closer you are to  the summer solstice, the longer the fantastic light lasts.  Having said that, if it has to be September, the Iceland is so photogenic I wouldn't hesitate.  The one benefit of that time of year is you might get some sleep between sunrise and sunset.  When I was there sunset was about 11:00 and sunrise 3:00 or 3:30...  (it's all a blur).

Interesting to see Hasselblad following in the PODAS footsetps.

Michael has some older articles about workshops he conducted in Iceland a few years ago on this site.

kuau

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »

Thanks Tim for the info.
Who would you recommend for photo tours to iceland in September, i only know about the hasselblad trip which is quite expensive, each participant gets an h4d and assortment of lens to use.

Steven

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »

Although he has nothing officially scheduled that late in the season, I would suggest contacting Daniel Bergmann whose guidance and workshops I could not recommend more highly.

email: info AT danielbergmann.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 04:09:39 pm »

Although he has nothing officially scheduled that late in the season, I would suggest contacting Daniel Bergmann whose guidance and workshops I could not recommend more highly.

email: info AT danielbergmann.com

+1 I was there last July / August with Daniel Bergman (and Tim above). Highly recommend going with Daniel. If I wasnt going to Antarctica this year I would be going back to Iceland with Daniel.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

kuau

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »

Well I signed up for the hasselblad trip in late september, Taking my wife along, she is not a photographer though.
We are planning on going for 2 weeks, so we want to get there a few days before the workshop begins and a few more days after the workshop ends.
The workshop is staying at the Guesthouse Hali which is in the south of iceland, Guesthouse Hali is the nearest guesthouse to the Glacier Lagoon.

So besides there, where else would someone recommend we go and stay a few nights when we first arrive, then at the end of the workshop where should we go onto to continue our iceland adventure.

Thanks
Steven

ps. Here is the workshop I am going on,
http://www.incredibletravelphotos.com/workshop/wsD/iceland/

and i just purchased the  LL Video Journal #8 Michaels trip to iceland.

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26:53 pm »

Well I signed up for the hasselblad trip in late september, Taking my wife along, she is not a photographer though.
We are planning on going for 2 weeks, so we want to get there a few days before the workshop begins and a few more days after the workshop ends.
The workshop is staying at the Guesthouse Hali which is in the south of iceland, Guesthouse Hali is the nearest guesthouse to the Glacier Lagoon.

So besides there, where else would someone recommend we go and stay a few nights when we first arrive, then at the end of the workshop where should we go onto to continue our iceland adventure.

Thanks
Steven

ps. Here is the workshop I am going on,
http://www.incredibletravelphotos.com/workshop/wsD/iceland/

and i just purchased the  LL Video Journal #8 Michaels trip to iceland.

I have some extensive write ups on where to go in Iceland on my Blog - just do a search on it for 'Iceland' http://blog.jholko.com

A short list of must visit places:
1. The Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon
2. Dettifoss and Selfoss Waterfalls
3. Godafoss
4. Landmannalaugar
5. Veidivotn
6. Svartifoss
7. Sprendisingar route (on the way to Landmannalaugar depending on which you are travelling)
8. Askja

You will need a solid 4WD to get into many of these places - dont even think about trying to get into places like Askja in anything but a real 4WD.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

I have been twice with Daniel Bergman in July/August and like other posters cannot recommend him highly enough.  I also have been on an unhosted trip with another photographer for 14 days last August and completely agree that many of the best places in the interior are only accessible by means of a solid substantial 4WD.  There are many difficult and rough tracks and glacial river crossings some of which are very tricky.

For a short trip into the interior by SUV rather than a big 4WD you could go to Landmannalaugar park up and spend a nice day walking and taking photographs nearby.  The camp site/ car park has a cafe/shop, showers and toilets. There are a couple of places to stay at Hrauneyjar which is on the way and is a good base for the area.  One is a sort of hostel/petrol station and their better sister hotel a mile or so down the road.  The route (f208) from the hotel to the camp site at Landmannalaugar is passible by a small SUV without too much trouble but do not be tempted to carry on the 208 route south on the way back.  This is a seriously difficult road to drive even with a big truck.  There is another route from the west which is called the F225 but this is a again a more difficult route for smaller vehicles.

On the route from the hotel to the camp site there are several places to stop which provide photo opportunities - lakes, vistas, calderas, lava fields and so on.

visit my website www.davidwatson.org.uk for a few of my photos of the areas.

BTW I took my Hasselblad outfit and a sturdy tripod last time - it all worked very well. Have a great time.
David Watson ARPS

Kathy

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:18:52 am »

We undertook a 10 day photographic workshop in July 2006. I would support Dave Watson's comments but for an easier option on finishing our workshop we spent 3 nights at Grundarfjordur exploring the Snæfellnses peninsula on our own. This is a wonderful area, which can be explored easily by car and foot, and it offers most of what Iceland has to offer but in a fairly small area. We found accommodation good and reasonably priced. It is easy to pick up a car and drive out there from the Airport (where our workshop finished), there are two routes - long and beautiful or use the tunnel for a fast journey.
Have a good trip.
Kathy

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:20:37 am »

As a local I always recommend july and august. The end of June here is great, specially the nights, bright 24/7. But the highland might still have some snow left and not turned fully green yet. Good thing with end of september is you will be getting some autumn colors, less tourists but a colder and shorter days.

don't miss the northern part of Iceland (Myvatn, Dettifoss, Asbyrgi and Hljodaklettar, and then Herdubreidalindir, Askja and Kverkfjoll) landmannalaugar is also nice

I have some images from Iceland in my gallery

and get a 4wheel drive car although it's crazy expensive (suzuki Jimny can be had for not that much more than a 2wd)

I also recommend Daniel, really professional guy

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:13:08 pm »

Seconded for the Snaefellnes peninsula. I went end April/early May. Loads of light.  Totally empty. Cheaper car hire and hotels. Interior not practicable then, but there's so much else for a first trip. Next I want to try the NW fjords.

Some of this gallery is the Snaefellnes area - the snow-capped volcano which is the entrance for Jules Verne's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.  

Photography in early May:

Main Icelandic ring road in the south:

Snaefellnes peninsula:

Eastern high pass:

Eastern high pass the other way:

Oh dear, looking over these scenes from last year makes me need to get back soon. if anyone wants to share a quick trip in the NW area in next few weeks (not Easter) let me know. Possible Northern Lights too due to solar storm. Much cheaper than summer, but excellent. ma999atmac.com - see also http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=42190.msg365061#msg365061
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:05:48 am by markadams99 »

Gu Shiin

• Architectural Photographer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:12:47 am »

I was there last September till early October, I would say it is perhaps the best time for photographing various autumn colours.

I had the chance to browse a couple of photo books from local photographers, but found the spring green colour a bit too boring for my taste.

I have a collection of Iceberg images on my site, plus other landscape series from Iceland here and here.

Just to give you an idea what a magnificent place Iceland is :)

Outback Shooter

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:43 am »

I've been told by many that September is the best time to go to Iceland.

IcelandAurora

• Driven by a passion for Landscape Photography
    • Iceland Aurora photo tours
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:11 am »

I will be one of the instructors on the September Hasselblad workshop with Oliver Klink.  September can be as good a time as any to enjoy Iceland.  The weather is not too extreme and there is a chance to see Northern Lights.

I often run into Daniel Bergman and seems like a great guy.

Aside from this I run private flexible tours for individuals and small groups.  I run these tours all through the year, in my opinion the mid winter day and night and mid-summer nights are unbeatable.

please send me mail for further details.

Many thanks for reading and sorry that my first post is a self promotion, (but I couldn't resist).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:53:53 am by IcelandAurora »
Driven by a passion for landscape photography and Iceland
http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »

Why do you need to do a tour?  Just go.

Hassyman

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »

Check this workshop in mid August: http://better-moments.com/

Could be something?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:15:01 pm by Hassyman »

MichaelWorley

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:45 am »

Tony Sweet is anxiously trying to fill a workshop scheduled for July 10 through 16. Not Hasselblad, but the days would be long and warmer.

http://www.tonysweet.com/page_workshops_location.html

Two months later in September the days might be of a more tolerable length. I've only been there in June, and it takes some getting used to.

Mike

Hassyman

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12:18 pm »

I checked better-moments workshop. It is lectured by Hans Strand. www.hansstrand.com He is even organizing aerial photography from helicopter. I will sign up.

jeremyrh

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 10:06:37 am »

Another vote of confidence in Daniel Bergmann - a great guy and a great photographer.

Josh-H

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 08:22:02 pm »

A great time to go to Iceland is right now - whilst the Volcano is active (provided you can get there!) Its actually amazing timing - coming into some of the best light of the year in Iceland and a Volcano goes off - perfect.  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up