Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac usb question  (Read 5717 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Mac usb question
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:16:56 pm »

I have a new Macbook pro 15 inch.  I want to shoot my 1DsMkIII tethered to it.  It won't work.

I've been shooting it forever to a windows laptop using a 2 foot usb camera cord, 2-6 foot usb extentions and a 10 foot active Triplite usb extention.  28 feet total.  This has worked perfectly for years with a variety of camera and windows laptops.

I can get the Macbook to work with everything but the active extention.  Am I missing a driver or something?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:08:28 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Re: Mac usb question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:17 am »

Have you tried it with a shorter cable just to see if it works?

What software are you trying?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:29:35 am »

The max length of USB 2.0 is defined at 5 meters - your issue is with triplight - their product doesn't solve that limitaton.  I understand you got one particular configuration working, but the fact remains - 5 meters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Maximum_Cable_Length

Craig Lamson

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:11:22 pm »

The max length of USB 2.0 is defined at 5 meters - your issue is with triplight - their product doesn't solve that limitaton.  I understand you got one particular configuration working, but the fact remains - 5 meters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Maximum_Cable_Length

Uh no, sorry...on many configurations, desktop, laptop, you name it..all on one flavor of windows or another over the years.  In fact I just tried it on every computer in the house.

5 laptops and 2 desktops. and it all works..except for the mac.  This a a MAC problem.

I just want to know how to fix it to keep it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:28:44 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »

It works with a 2 foot cable and it works with a 2 foot plus 6 foot passive extention...on the Mac. Thats simple NOT acceptable for tethered shooting.

Any other combination fails with many different tries with different cables etc.

Shooting  to Eos utility, most current version.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:30:33 pm »

Well, Mac support says no.  10.6 is different and the Tripp lite won't work, and they don;t know of anything that will.   Worked fine on 10.55.  Asked if I could load 10.55 on my Macbook, and again the answer is no. The firmwear is different on this version of the Macbook. 

Amazing...Macs just work...right.

Bye Bye Macbook pro.  No more attempts at Mac for me.  Its going back and I'll stick with Windows.
Craig Lamson Photo

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »

I can understand your frustration with a setup that worked in a different situation.  I had similar issues integrating medical imaging equipment in a mixed PC/Mac environment.  I also could not understand why the triplite "repeater" worked in some scenarios, but not others.  USB is a serial bus technology, serial busses are clocked - this clock rate has a characteristic wavelength which determines the maximum length of the bus.  An engineer involved in the design of the controller explained the situation, and offered a better solution involving media converters over Category 5 cabling - I've had problem free results over all platforms at lengths up to 50 meters.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

I seen the cat 5 solutions, not sure how well they would work with a camera.

In any case I'm just returning the thing. I can't find a solution I know will work and I only have 6 days to return. 

So it has to go.  Far too big of an investment to be so limiting production wise.  Oh well, maybe another time and a different OS version.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:17:18 pm »

Update:

I just received a Sewell active usb extension that Sewell assured me had been tested and worked.  WRONG.

Thus ends my attempt to use a Mac.  They just work....NOT.
Craig Lamson Photo

MrSmith

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 02:45:00 pm »

it should work, it's just that yours doesn't.
if it was my computer i would:
do any system updates and software updates.
repair permissions using applejack.
try the both usb sockets, make sure the camera above the display isn't in use (unlikely i know, but it draws some usb power)
have no other ancillaries plugged in.
check the camera is set to tethered mode (or whatever it's called in the menu, i can't remember)
i would also download a trial of capture1pro to see if it will tether with that.

if that doesn't work put the computer closer to the set and use a 5m cable ;D

Craig Lamson

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »

it should work, it's just that yours doesn't.
if it was my computer i would:
do any system updates and software updates.
repair permissions using applejack.
try the both usb sockets, make sure the camera above the display isn't in use (unlikely i know, but it draws some usb power)
have no other ancillaries plugged in.
check the camera is set to tethered mode (or whatever it's called in the menu, i can't remember)
i would also download a trial of capture1pro to see if it will tether with that.

if that doesn't work put the computer closer to the set and use a 5m cable ;D

Done.
Done
Done
Done.
Never had to set any camera to tether
Used C1, and DSLR remote pro and eos utility.
Kind of hard to do when the interior you are shooting is 25-30 feet away (like the cabin of a large boat) you are shooting tungsten and can't have the boat move..and you need to bracket :)

SO I returned it tonight...Gone Away.  I am going back to Best Buy tomorrow to test one of the current Macbooks with software a camera an a number of cables.  My wife is not happy. She liked the Macbook and wants to use Garageband.  I just can't justify a $2200 laptop for farmville and Garageband.
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:17:08 pm »

SO I returned it tonight...Gone Away.  I am going back to Best Buy tomorrow to test one of the current Macbooks with software a camera an a number of cables. My wife is not happy. She liked the Macbook and wants to use Garageband.  I just can't justify a $2200 laptop for farmville and Garageband.

:D :D

Craig,

Keep the wife happy. It's worth it. Within a year she'll be operating your camera for you while auctioning off your old gear using GarageSale.   :D

Besides that, how much cable length do you need?
~ CB

Craig Lamson

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:19:55 am »

:D :D

Craig,

Keep the wife happy. It's worth it. Within a year she'll be operating your camera for you while auctioning off your old gear using GarageSale.   :D

Besides that, how much cable length do you need?

A happy wife is required!  She works with me and has zero desire to shoot, at least thats beenthe case for the last 10 years.  Garagesale...now thats a different beast al together:)

I need 30+ feet of cable and the ability for camera control and data flow.  I've been doing it for years on a variety of windows machines, I counted last night...7 different laptops, 5 different desktops and 3 OS's over the years and all have been plug and play and flawless.
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 11:14:42 am »

I need 30+ feet of cable and the ability for camera control and data flow.  I've been doing it for years on a variety of windows machines, I counted last night...7 different laptops, 5 different desktops and 3 OS's over the years and all have been plug and play and flawless.

Have you considered or tried Canon's WFT-E2 II A transmitter? It has 100 m connectivity radius.

However, if you're comfortable with a Windows box, why change? Just get one of those hot, new Mac laptops for the wife and bask in her appreciation.   ;)
~ CB

Craig Lamson

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 12:51:29 pm »

Have you considered or tried Canon's WFT-E2 II A transmitter? It has 100 m connectivity radius.

However, if you're comfortable with a Windows box, why change? Just get one of those hot, new Mac laptops for the wife and bask in her appreciation.   ;)

Why change?  Good question.  Because is the best answer I can muster.

So here is what happened.  Went to Best Buy.  Loaded Eos utility.  Connected a Canon camera using two different 30 active extensions.  Shoot many ra frames.  Suprise...both cables work perfectly.

15.4 2.2 i7 Quard core sitting on my desk getting loaded with software as we speak.

Wife is happy. I'm happy. Checkbook much slimmer...again.

Not sure why this now works but someting changed in the Macbook or the other one was somehow defective.  In any case I can give this mac thing a good go at it now.
Craig Lamson Photo

JBerardi

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »

Well, if all this nonsense resulted in you getting one of the 2011 quad-core MBPs instead of the 2010 dual-core model, it may have all been worth it.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 08:30:15 am »

Well, if all this nonsense resulted in you getting one of the 2011 quad-core MBPs instead of the 2010 dual-core model, it may have all been worth it.

Yes the quad core appears to be very speedy.  And the usb transfers are not bad either.
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »

And the usb transfers are not bad either.

I've got a request into Canon & Phase One to implement Thunderbolt on the next iteration of their flagship cameras.   8)
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up