Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which varnish to use?  (Read 2627 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
which varnish to use?
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:45:04 pm »

Hi all,
   so I'm a few weeks into large format with my canon 8300 and have been quite happy with a few canvas prints on a sample roll. It seems there are a million options for finish coatings and I'd love some advice. My prints on paper go right behind glass so I'm likely going to leave them uncoated. I gather that a canvas pretty much must be coated and I'm unsure what everyone likes. Golden is easily attained at my local art store, as are several of the toxic uv protectant sprays. What do you like best? why? for what it's worth I'm probably going to have to roll it on. I have nowhere to spray that wouldn't make a massive mess or be too cold to apply.
Mark

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: which varnish to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:22 pm »

For canvas I like the new Timeless from Breathing Color (www.breathingcolor.com). You can easily buy a pint of the stuff and give it a try to see if you like it too.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:44:40 am »

I spent several weeks researching canvas for a big print job (phase one is 270+ prints and that will be less than half when the project's done) with lots of big prints, 20x30 to 30x40 all from my existing stock.

I looked into Epson, Sunset, Breathing Color, and settled on the Fredrix 777 Vivid. The Epson was expensive and the last I used, the images peeled off with little effort. Sunset was also expensive. Breathing Color was priced well, but I never got my questions answered. I settled on Fredrix 777.

It's not the cheapest, but it was reasonably priced, the rolls, so far, in 24, 36 and 44 all give me consistent IQ. It's easy to profile and the prints look great!

I then coat them using Clear Star's LL Semi-gloss and the image comes to life!

I choose the Fredrix because when I e-mailed for info, their local rep called me the next day and not only knew the answers to all my questions regarding IQ, printers, lamination (coatings), mounting, etc., but would supply me with samples to see how the canvas would mount in the drymount press, different surfaces, etc. His knowledge was crucial to this project and customer service supurb!

The rep's support led to me simply purchasing about 40 rolls from 24 to 44 inches and 8 gallons of coating for this phase of the project.

So far, we've mounted the first batch on foamboard for framing. In the mean time, as I was gearing up for the project, I had customers who wanted gallery wraps.

Originally, I used Print Shield and Desert Varnish to protect the canvas. But now I'm using the ClearStar though a Daige laminator (coater) or simply rolling it on with a paint roller.

For mounting, I use canvas pliers and a staple gun on pre-cut 1.25 and 5/8th stretcher bars, thick for 11x14 and larger, the thinner for the smaller prints. It will take you practice to learn to pull tight enough and run your electric stapler. The tricky part is folding the corners inside the canvas to make it neater. I'm still learning to wrap the frames, but sure love the look of canvas after it is drymounted and framed.

Best thing to do is to purchase sample rolls (Breathing color and 17" x 20 foot rolls, Fredrix will sent you a 5 foot piece. Lexjet will sell you a roll and if you don't like it, you send back the rest for refund, as I recall.

Bottom line is that the Fredrix 777 Vivid works well with both my Epson 9800 and 9900. The images look great, I like them and best of all, the client loves them enough to give us a PO and a check for half. It's going to be a long spring printing but well rewarded!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:28 am »

There are many different coatings available for canvas.

They key, I think, is a liquid coating that can be painted or sprayed on with a power sprayer rather than the aerosol coatings.  The roll on coatings protect from both UV and scratching as well as add crack resistance so you don't get the dreaded white line along the edges and at the corners.  The aerosol coatings provide only UV protection and the fumes are bad.

I've been using Premier Eco-Print Shield and am very happy with it.  I do 2 coats of gloss and then a third coat of satin.  Gives me a nice finish that has a bit of sheen but not high gloss.

ftbt

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:32:19 am »

Like you, I am also embarking on large format printing with my new Canon 8300. You might want to contact Breathing Color and get some of their trial kits. They have a very cost-effective program that allows you to try their various papers and canvases (on 17" rolls). They also have custom ICC and am1 profiles they will provide you with. (Ask for the new profiles for the 8300 and they will e-mail them to you.) They also sell laminates and gallery wrap kits.

I have been using their Lyve canvas and their Glamour II laminate with excellent results. Glamour II can be rolled or sprayed (they have instruction videos on their site). I have been spraying Glamour II using a Wagner Control Max HVLP system and it couldn't be easier. The Wagner system creates little or no over-spray, and since Glamour II is water soluble, clean-up is simple. (Basically, you mix Glamour II with distilled water, either 50-50 or 60-40.) I sprayed two canvases yesterday and they came out great.

If you are inclined to try any of their products, I suggest that you give them a call. I deal with Stephen Warth and he has been very helpful. Their technical guy is Paul Morales.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:04:59 am »

ftbt, thanks for the info. I've used Optica One for a while and have trial rolls of canvas. When you're spraying the Galmour II or Timeless is there an odor? this will have to be done in my home since my garage is unheated. I'm concerned that spraying via HVLP sprayer will create an undesirable odor. mess is easy enough to control with some extra cardboard.

ftbt

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:26 am »

First off, I spray in my garage. It is unheated, but since I live in Southern California that isn't an issue. I haven't sprayed with Timeless, so I can't comment on it. There is a slight odor with Glamour II ... not the solvent type of odor commonly associated with cans of spray varnishes/coatings ... but an odor nonetheless. The odor dissipates quickly, but I would not be inclined to spray inside my house. I think rolling would be the best option for you, if you have to work in your home.

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:38:55 pm »

Hi Mark,

I also use Eco Print Shield from Premier Imaging.  I don't know where you are, but I get mine from Vistek in Toronto.  They're the only supplier I've been able to locate locally.  I recently did a post here asking for some feedback on EnduraCoat from Drytac, since I also buy from them, but it would seem that no one on this forum is using that product.  For me it's simply a price point, but after doing some more research I've decided to stay with Print Shield anyway.  It is getting rather pricey, but I know the product and have always had good results and that's worth the cost.

Since I don't have spraying facilities I roll the coating onto the canvas with a 6" foam roller.  I use both the Satin and Gloss products and mix them 50/50 to achieve a very pleasing combination about half way between the two finishes.  I offer the Satin, the 50/50 mix and the Gloss finishes for my customers, and they seem to be quite happy with the choices.  For rolling or spraying it's advised to dilute the coating by 20% with water.  I use distilled water for that to avoid the chlorine and minerals in tap water, although that's not a procedure that's listed on their website. 

I hope this is of some help Mark.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up