Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tainted Calamari  (Read 11504 times)

Patricia Sheley

Tainted Calamari
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:53:39 am »

Think the most tainted serving was probably shipped to Florida last night for a remote almost inaccessible private dinner...never feels good as you await morning to come...got to lash out somewhere from our private hell...Jack...this is a side of you I never would have believed possible... hope you feel better soon...
A common woman~

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Tainted Calamari
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:37 am »

Is this message some kind of secret service code?

A bit like a grainy black and white espionage movie, where strangers wearing long coats, exchange coded messages as they look in opposite directions at a street corner news stand, in some post WWII Eastern bloc country, saying things like "The fat man walks the plank tonight" or "The sea herrings can only be caught with a tuning fork" - type of thing???

Or what?

Have a nice day...!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:45:04 am »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »

Well, Jack is a fine photographer, and he had a fair point, but perhaps got a little carried away. We all have a bad day from time to time. I, for one, would be sorry to lose his contributions here.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

JohnKoerner

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »

Think the most tainted serving was probably shipped to Florida last night for a remote almost inaccessible private dinner...never feels good as you await morning to come...got to lash out somewhere from our private hell...Jack...this is a side of you I never would have believed possible... hope you feel better soon...

Sorry I missed this darlin

No "personal hell" here girl, not by a longshot.

Your digression into fantasy has nothing to do with reality. The reality is pretty simple: I just got pissed at an inane way of doing business that inconvenienced me, rather than rewarded me, for trying to buy their product. As for any "side" of me, I think getting perturbed over wasting one's time needlessly happens to everyone.

Don't you worry about me though, I feel great. Got my money back and was able to spend less money ... buying an even longer DVD tutorial ... that came to me right away in DVD format.

Check this thread for the Enigma machine:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=51688.0

How surprising to see my perpetual follower and ankle-biter on another thread about me

Well, Jack is a fine photographer, and he had a fair point, but perhaps got a little carried away. We all have a bad day from time to time. I, for one, would be sorry to lose his contributions here.
John

Thank you sir, for both sentiments.

As for me "no longer contributing here," I don't stay mad over silly stuff. I still appreciate this site and the information I have gained from this site. I also enjoy the other contributions from fellow members of this site and will gladly contribute more ... now that I am blowing the dust off my camera since spring is coming.

As for me having a point, you bet I did ... and LuLa knows it ... which is why they privately contacted me and issued me a refund, which I appreciate.

Despite my frustration over this issue, I do not wish LuLa bad ... I wish them well ... and they would do well to changed their "no DVD" policy when offering 10-hour 5+ gig videos ... considering millions of people have 5-gig monthly limits in their service plans.

Denial of relity isn't rebuttal; it is only self-defeating.

Take care,

Jack

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »

Just when i wanted to ask Michael if he had a close up photo of the bowl....for testing purposes!! lol get better

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:11:04 pm »

Jack,

You are completely missing the point. Yes, not having a hard-copy option means you can't easily obtain the product. We're all sorry about that. 

The point, however, is that dealing with the physical product is such a monumental pain-in-the-ass that, for this particular boutique business, the handful of extra sales it would generate is overwhelmingly not worth it.

The underlying unstated problem is that you wouldn't be willing to pay the true price of the number of hour of Michael and Chris' limited time would get eaten up in doing this themselves or managing a relationship with a contractor to do it.  Myoff-the-cuff gues is that the true DVD surcharge would be more like $500-$1000 per copy than $10-15. 

If you believe in the free market, make them an offer :-)

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Janne Aavasalo

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:10:54 pm »

Hey all,

Interesting discussion (even though the original thread is closed now).

I represent a different kind of view on this matter. I really, really don't want a physical media if I can get the video as a download.

To me a physical media, be it DVD or Bluray or even a USB stick would be a pain in the butt.

I can see the frustration if I had a limit on my broadband, but since I don't, I see no reason why the video couldn't be in a file format.

I also appreciate the download system because I live in Finland and if I had to wait for a disk to be shipped here, I'd probably die of old age. Also when I can download the video in smaller portions I can start watching the tutorial or video and keep downloading the rest in the background.

I do have a suggestion for LULA though, I know bandwidth and storage space on the server isn't free, but you could offer an alternative ISO-file to download. That would help people who insist on having a physical copy and they could burn the disk easily.

What comes to the pricing, I'd say that LULA videos are perhaps not the cheapest, but they are really affordable. For example the Onelight DVD is 250$ + 30$ for shipping, a fine tutorial no doubt, but expensive as hell (for 4 hours). Another example is Mark Wallaces Studio Lighting Essentials which is 150$ + shipping and if I understood correctly it's about 2 hours of content.

I'd say LULA tutorials beat them in price hands down even if you count out the jokes (which for me make the videos fun to watch).

That's just my 0.02$ on the matter.

Janne

John R Smith

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 02:15:40 pm »

Some of us live in rural areas where we can just about get broadband, but downloads are a joke.

I tried to download the trial version of PS Elements, and it took 10 hours. One dropout and you have to start all over again . . .

:'( John
an

Janne Aavasalo

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 03:03:27 pm »

I feel your pain and understand that in these cases a physical copy would be more suitable.

I would however take a look at a download manager (which is in most cases able to continue downloading even if the connection fails).

Also putting pressure on your ISP to make things work could be a beneficial thing :)

I mean, if you are paying for "broadband" and not getting what you pay for, it should be basis for a complaint...

Janne

John R Smith

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »

Well, we are on copper wire at the furthest distance for broadband from a very antiquated exchange. When I got the connection our ISP warned us that it was marginal, so fair enough. A lot of rural Devon and Cornwall is in this category, with not much chance of an upgrade because the urban areas will be dealt with first.

John
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:10:32 pm by John R Smith »
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up