Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colou grading  (Read 2276 times)

michele

colou grading
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:37:58 am »

Hi all,
does anybody know about a good school for a colour grading and colour correction course?
I was thinking about Davinci or Pablo platform based course...
Suggestions?
Thanks
Michele

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: colou grading
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »

I don't know of a school myself, but you might check the "Apple Color" message board at "Creative Cow.net".  I think that there is a post there regarding training.

That said, you can learn a lot without a course.

#1. Become a photoshop expert.  The concepts of color correcting a still photo are the same as color correcting movies.  The tools for movies are a little different as they're evolved from the video tape world, but the color concepts are the same.

#2.  If you have Final Cut Pro Studio, you also have Apple Color.  Apple Color is quite an advanced color grading software and you can google many tutorials (and buy some) for this software.  Once you've learned Apple Color you will be 80% on your way to all the other grading software solutions.

Best of luck to you!
-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

michele

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:47 pm »

Many thanks Bruce :)
I'm good with photoshop and I have apple color... :) I'll follow your suggestions!
Thanks again
Michele

michaelnotar

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:53:38 pm »

i come for a PS background too and its very similiar. the primary room in color has 4 curves just like what you see in PS, R,G,B and luminosity which is akin to brightness but also dulls/greys the image as you raise/lower, thus the highlight/shadow and overal saturation control in the top right of the screen. gamma is contrast, gain is exposure, lift is brightness (will also dull blacks).

there are also 3 controls for shadow/mid/hi tint/saturation/ and black/white point (akin to levels)

most of the time you can do everything right there. you may go into the secondary room, (just more color corrections, akin to Hue/Sat controls in PS for each color) for further adjustments. whats neat about color is it uses click points and drag like curves do. you raise the line up for more of a change or down to decrease it. you can also curve the line so that reds are desaturated and the rest of the colors get more saturated.

there are some ok color fx in another room, 90% are lame.

add all to the render que in the render output room. when do send back to final cut. a new timeline will apear in your project folder that says: sequence 1 (from color).
Pages: [1]   Go Up