Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunderbolt (Lightpeak) Unveiled  (Read 52044 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Re: Thunderbolt (Lightpeak) Unveiled
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2011, 10:09:26 pm »

No offense was meant and I really don't understand why you would be offended.  I only know what you stated in your posts.  Based on the information you provided it's apparent Fuji didn't agree with you any more than I do about your laptop being a 'hard drive' killer.  You're the one who brought up being an engineer as a way to support your statement, like I was supposed to believe you based not on the information you provided.. but because you told me you're an engineer.  The logic of this is as flawed as your generalizations.

The Mac vs. Pc debate can only be good natured and fun.. it's obvious to anyone familiar with both products, that on the component level they couldn't be any more the same.  And even at different levels of power/capability reliable function is the same.  A $600 laptop tends to be every bit as reliable (electronically) as a $3000 laptop.  Modern electronics are great, and a manufacturer can't afford to put out poor products on any level.  Sure, there are bad runs (hard drives especially because they have mechanical components), but bad runs happen at all price points.

So please don't be offended.  After all, it's not like I told you your entire post was 'COMPLETE BS., CRAP, and B.S. Period', that would be just plain rude, crass, and uncalled for in a civil discussion.  The only thing more rude than that, would be the same person turning around and then claiming they were the offended party..  ::)

You just won the internet.

One can win by twisting words, away from truths???  :o

Seems in above a person was questioning after questioning, giving false accusations to what I have stated as my experience, including as to question my competence and experience to point of drag me in, to dig deeper and deeper... and twisting words and even truths of what he does not know and to what they are not. My personal opinion of that action (no offense meant) frank is what I stated in bold in above. That applies also to last post :). And no, in my opinion Mac vs PC debate is not fun, and certainly not a point I meant to make.

What I already indicated of that problem PC notebook was that it was heat which was the likely and indeed concluded problem issue, thus seems improper design and/or choice of components (quality issue). I also stated that my experience in regards to the alleged "bricks" called Mac (termed so by a certain poster) is complete different and opposite to with PC, hence well implemented and they not only work but do so by a very large factor of far more problem free. Thus seems that components are for these "bricks" well paired and of good quality, and in my experience and opinion also the OS is far superior. On that subject...

... since it is Mac I would expect Thunderbolt to have been proper implemented (with appropriate components and design to support it)... In my opinion Thunderbolt seem incredibly interesting:

http://www.lacie.com/us/technologies/technology.htm?id=10039 from which is attached image and which appears to indicate amazing and useful speed.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:14:57 pm by Anders_HK »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 01:52:52 am »

I have several large screens LCD/LED TVs as do my brothers and I can't find a single display port connector on any of them, none on the Sonys, Samsungs or LGs.
Excuse me, display port connector supports so much more?  Which Monitors and or TVs does display port support that HDMI or DVI don't?  There are many monitors that don't have a display port connector.  I know, I know, buy an adapter!

Yes!  Buy the adapters!!!!  I happen to have 2, one to HDMI, the other the DVI - i think i'm into both for about 30-40 bucks total.  My point is this - they will also work on a thunderbolt bus.

Let me put this another way, I do a fair amount of event photography - shooting either location portraits for large numbers of people, action photos or both.  My current setup requires me to:

1) connect camera / media for tethering / capture
2) connect external storage for backup
3) connect external display for clients to view and hopefully order results

would be nice to have a single external bus technology (and connector) supporting all of the above? no?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 08:19:03 am »

would be nice to have a single external bus technology (and connector) supporting all of the above? no?

Yea, until the port gets damaged or otherwise fails and the entire link goes down.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 08:29:53 am »

I also stated that my experience in regards to the alleged "bricks" called Mac (termed so by a certain poster) is complete different and opposite to with PC, hence well implemented and they not only work but do so by a very large factor of far more problem free. Thus seems that components are for these "bricks" well paired and of good quality, and in my experience and opinion also the OS is far superior.

Regards
Anders

Well,as I stated in another thread I just purchased an i7 Macbook Pro after years of using pc's.  Now I'm vested in wanting this $2000 laptop to work in my system.  Sadly it does not work.  I can't get a usb laptop/camera connection on it using the same hardware I've used sucessfully for years.  Now I'm left with a $2000 paperweight while I will need to continue to take a $700 windows laptop that works perfectly to the jobsite.  

Now I'm sure that somehow I'll get the Mac sorted.  But the question is why should that be required?  If the hardware and os is that much better, why the problems?

The Macbook is a pretty piece to be sure, and my wife enjoys playing Farmville on it. But right now it's a production paperweight and if I can't get it to function in a proper manner with the rest of my gear its going to be a very expensive lesson.

Meanwhile my W7 workstation and laptops continue to crank out cash....

Color me wanting for now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:11:40 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 08:32:01 am »

One can win by twisting words, away from truths???  :o

Regards
Anders
They were your words.  In bold face.  No twisting necessary as I thought they were quite clear as is.  It was an enjoyable discussion.

Have you ever noticed Mac converts are a bit like a born again Christian or a recovered alcoholic?  Not very objective about religion or alcohol use at all.  You've just gotta love them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:44:54 am by Steve Weldon »
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 08:46:39 am »

"my wife enjoys playing Farmville on it."

Can you get Angry Birds on that thing?  I'm having trouble getting past level 27, maybe a bigger screen would help..

Craig Lamson

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 09:12:17 am »

"my wife enjoys playing Farmville on it."

Can you get Angry Birds on that thing?  I'm having trouble getting past level 27, maybe a bigger screen would help..

Angry birds is great on the Ipad.....:)
Craig Lamson Photo

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 09:41:26 am »

Angry birds is great on the Ipad.....:)
That justifies buying one just by itself.  I wonder if you can hot rod the thing with one of the new intel msata ssd's.. 

Sigh, it's just a dream.  My wife would steal it as sure as I'm sitting here.    :'(

I could buy two..  ???

MrSmith

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 04:27:01 pm »

Now I'm left with a $2000 paperweight while I will need to continue to take a $700 windows laptop that works perfectly to the jobsite.  

sell the mac, they hold their value better than P.C.'s

Craig Lamson

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:35 pm »

sell the mac, they hold their value better than P.C.'s

I'll just return it and get my money back.

I simply don't need the headache.

Craig Lamson Photo

JBerardi

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:52 pm »

Have you ever noticed Mac converts are a bit like a born again Christian or a recovered alcoholic?  Not very objective about religion or alcohol use at all.  You've just gotta love them.

...Says the guy who's spent this whole thread assuring himself everyone else that his computing preferences are the CORRECT ones.

You want to win this game? Here's my advice: don't play.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:19:49 pm by JBerardi »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »

Yea, until the port gets damaged or otherwise fails and the entire link goes down.

that would be true of any connector / technology, would it not?

Craig Lamson

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »

that would be true of any connector / technology, would it not?

Yes, but all the eggs are in one basket so to speak with thunderbolt.
Craig Lamson Photo

JBerardi

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 09:58:15 pm »

Yes, but all the eggs are in one basket so to speak with thunderbolt.

Well, that makes a failure more catastrophic, I guess. On the other hand, you've only got to rely on one thing not failing, as opposed to relying on three things to all not fail. Not sure there's a clear advantage one way or the other, at least in general.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 06:00:17 pm »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 01:33:26 pm »

Definately cool stuff - including a Thunderbolt to Fiber Channel Adapter :)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/thunderbolt-storage-surprises-at-nab-11/1343?tag=content;selector-blogs

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:45 pm »

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21377

AMD and Intel's chipsets to support USB 3.0 soon (today and in a few months).

Cheers,
Bernard

schrodingerscat

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:57 pm »

Well,as I stated in another thread I just purchased an i7 Macbook Pro after years of using pc's.  Now I'm vested in wanting this $2000 laptop to work in my system.  Sadly it does not work.  I can't get a usb laptop/camera connection on it using the same hardware I've used sucessfully for years.  Now I'm left with a $2000 paperweight while I will need to continue to take a $700 windows laptop that works perfectly to the jobsite.

Curious as to just what it is you are trying to hook up? By 'same hardware I've used for years', are you refering to parallel/serial?

I've got a lovely IBM R52 I'll trade you for the MBP.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »

Curious as to just what it is you are trying to hook up? By 'same hardware I've used for years', are you refering to parallel/serial?

I've got a lovely IBM R52 I'll trade you for the MBP.

A 30 foot active usb cable and a Canon 1DsMKIII.  The 2010 MBP never did work.
Craig Lamson Photo

Farmer

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2011, 02:45:35 am »

30 foot is about twice the specification.
Phil Brown
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up