Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Continuous Light Purchase  (Read 3502 times)

ryanstrong

First Continuous Light Purchase
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:35:16 pm »

I am a still fashion photographer who is making the move to add video to my set up. I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII.

I am very use to Alien Bees strobe lighting. They are not cheap but they are not expensive and for the quality they are a great product - I've never been let down.

What I am looking for in continuous lighting is something the same. I need a workhorse single light setup. Like with my Alien Bees, I want to be able to use my continuous light purchase in studio and out on location. So as I said a work horse. It needs to be fairly mobile. I usually have an assistant with me but there are occasions where I do not.

From Googling around and forum search I've landed at the Kino Flo Diva-Lite 201 as the top contender for what I am looking for. It is very important that I have a nice cool daylight balance - something to what I am use to with my strobe lighting.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions as to what I would want that would be easy for me to step into with this new video world?

ryanstrong

Re: First Continuous Light Purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:34:53 am »

Looks good... Says they are all sold out, know anyone who stocks them?

If I were to get the 1200, what equivalent would that be in terms of light output would that be to a Alien Bee? Like an Alien Bee 400?

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:10 am »

Daylight flouros have become my 'go to'

you should be aware that none of these lights are much good in the sun

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:49 am »

Looks good... Says they are all sold out, know anyone who stocks them?

If I were to get the 1200, what equivalent would that be in terms of light output would that be to a Alien Bee? Like an Alien Bee 400?

The photometric for the fixture are the best way to go to understand the light output at given working distances.  You should be able to find them on the manufacturer's site.  Continuous lighting outputs are generally measured against a tungsten equivalent as opposed to a flash equivalent:  110 watts from a fluorescent fixture like the diva 200 should be roughly equivalent to the output from a 660 watt tungsten fixture; The output from the Diva 400 and the CL-led 1200 should be pretty close. 
The one caution that I give you in comparing photometric data is that the associated aperture and shutter speed assumptions tend to vary by manufacturer (some disclose the assumptions and some do not.)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:26:01 am by canmiya »
Pages: [1]   Go Up