Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus 2.6 is released  (Read 2857 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Phocus 2.6 is released
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:19:34 am »

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

fredjeang

Re: Phocus 2.6 is released
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »

David, I want to kiss you! I read the specs and finally they did it: Tiff and jpeg support for windows.
This is a great day.

• Capture One
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:19 pm »

David, I want to kiss you! ....

Easy now...!  :-D
David Grover

donaldt

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:13 am »

I am downloading it even though I am on my work laptop hahaha

sarinale

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »

Very minor improvements in this version. When will Phocus finally
be more than just a very basic raw developer? I would really like to stop exporting tif files into Capture One, and unfortunately Phase is unlikely to support fff files.

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

A raw developer is just a raw developer. Phase has a more muscle software but let's be honest, we all have to end in PS with zillions of layers.

In that sense, Phocus does all I need before the PS stage. The only thing IMO that C1 has strong, are the styles. (I know D... and many other goodies)

Sinar and Leaf softwares aren't better anyway.

But we have to admit that generation of top digital imagery produced by Hasselblad cameras and developed with Phocus have been produced so far,
and among the most creative photographers currently on earth.

To my point of view now,(before I thought different) more the step before PS is reduced to a Zen simplicity and efficiency, more I think the raw developer is the one I need.

Why exporting a Tiff from Phocus to C1 and not to PS ?

The only thing I noticed with the newer version is that it is a bit slower to load when a lot of images in folders.

ghaynes754

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:00:16 pm »

David

Nice improvements.  Dust removal is great.  I've already used the iPad interface and works great.

fredjeang

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:30 pm »

Agreed.

I see Phocus as just that, a raw developer, and a raw developer that gets the very best from the 3fr files.

I'm not at all sure I'd want it to be anything other.
Neither do I. (and I hope Hasselblad won't follow that Lightroom tendency)
In fact it's so straightforward that does not distract.

Today I developped some files using alternatively both ACR and C1 because I had bad moiré that I found ACR resolved better, I finally ended using C1 because the moiré was fortunatly located on a very easy place to remove in 2sec with PS. C1 gave me overall better results and keeps the files very good apart from the fact that I really don't like the default sharpening tool level that I put at zero.

But each time I use C1, I can't help looking at the styles "just-to-see" and I find them as usefull as they are distracting.

In Phocus I really have the sensation that I'm doing only what I need to do and I get to the photoshop stage with less sensation of "tricking buttons".

Less is more.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:24:34 pm by fredjeang »

shaun

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:40 pm »

I use Phocus and love the simplicity. I have always used c1 for my canon but it took  a while moving from the simplicity of 3.7 to current programmes.

Excuse my ignorance but could anyone please tell me what actually happens when moving from linear to film standard as I can't see any movement on the curve etc.

Shaun

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 01:51:11 pm »

I use Phocus and love the simplicity. I have always used c1 for my canon but it took  a while moving from the simplicity of 3.7 to current programmes.

Excuse my ignorance but could anyone please tell me what actually happens when moving from linear to film standard as I can't see any movement on the curve etc.

Shaun
Shaun,

I guess you're talking about C1 here.

You should see a different curve while you swich from one to the other.
Film standart tends to blow the highlights. Linear response is more appropriate when you want a more balanced output in the highlights (and a more neutral overall response).
Caution: it does not give you details that are not there, it does not recover anything but avoid to loose details that film standart could wash.

High contrast to me is pointless and extra shadow well, when you need to "gain" (avoid loss) detail in the shades.

Some pics would idealy need 2 or 3 of those settings so PS and layers.

shaun

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:25 am »

Thanks Fred. Yes it was c1, couldn't see any s bends in the curve so assumed it was going on behind the scenes.

Shaun

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:41 am »

Very minor improvements in this version. When will Phocus finally
be more than just a very basic raw developer? I would really like to stop exporting tif files into Capture One, and unfortunately Phase is unlikely to support fff files.

What do you feel is missing?
David Grover
Pages: [1]   Go Up