Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colour space's with DPP and a G10  (Read 1290 times)

petercook80

colour space's with DPP and a G10
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:55 am »

Hi, not sure if this is the right area to post this but I will give it a go....

I have a G10 and use the Canon DPP (latest version) which I find to be an excellent product. I would like to get some clarification on colour space settings with DPP. I shoot RAW on the G10 and have DPP (and Photoshop) set to WideGamut, however when I look at the metadata for a RAW image from my G10 it tells me the colour space is sRGB.
I thought RAW had no colour space as such and had that applied in the RAW conversion, is this the case? or am I better of with my G10 setting DPP (and photoshop) to sRGB ? (If the camera only captures sRGB I can’t see any point in converting it to a wider colour space)
Hope that all makes sense.
Any thoughts or help is much appreciated.

howardm

Re: colour space's with DPP and a G10
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:48:51 am »

I'm guessing that the sRGB colorspace is referring to the built-in JPEG preview & thumbnails.  The RAW cannot have a colorspace defined.

petercook80

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:16:40 am »

I would have thought so, just had a reply from Canon to the same question which says    "In response to your query about your Powershot G10, the camera can indeed only record images in the sRGB color space, therefore this is also noted in the EXIF data."  though I suspect they ignored the fact that I asked the question in relation to RAW (not JPEG's) and I have asked them to clarify.

petercook80

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:12 am »

Got a fuller response from Canon and indeed as a RAW file it has no colour space so as Howardm susgested the tag must refer to the JPG preview of the file.

ChasP505

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:17:01 am »

Go here for more Canon/DPP specific info:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Chas P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up