Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Eye1D2 Colorimeter Counterweight?  (Read 5642 times)

Athena

NEC Eye1D2 Colorimeter Counterweight?
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:59 am »

Let me begin by saying that I LOVE my new monitor (PA271w) and the NEC colorimeter.

But I am struggling to place the colorimeter on the monitor.  My old calibration device has a counterweight and that made things relatively simple.  So I was thinking why is there no counterweight on the NEC puck?

So I googled it.

And guess what - there IS a counter weight.

So where is mine?  Why would it have shipped without this important piece?  It hasn't been discontinued, has it?

howardm

Re: NEC Eye1D2 Colorimeter Counterweight?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:53 am »

surprising because the normal i1D2 comes w/ a weight.  I'd suggest calling NEC tech support and I'm sure they'll hook you up.

(They sent me an entire PA241 stand because a small piece had broken off mine).

that said, simply tilt the monitor back during calibration to help 'place' the puck.

Athena

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:16:26 am »

Tilting the monitor hadn't occurred to me (blush).  That does make sense.

I bought the Spectraview software and the puck as a package from B&H.  Do you think I should I contact them or contact NEC directly?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:57:36 am »

Tilting the monitor hadn't occurred to me (blush).  That does make sense.

I bought the Spectraview software and the puck as a package from B&H.  Do you think I should I contact them or contact NEC directly?
Contact B&H first as they are really good about replacements and you will get it much faster than going through NEC (who might tell you to contact B&H as the primary seller anyway).  And yes, you do need to tilt the monitor to insure that the puck stays flat.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:35 am »

I can only say that when I called NEC, they were exemplary about replacing the stand w/ zero hassle or questioning.  The part arrived quickly and bonus, the guy spoke english :)

probep

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:12 am »

I own two NEC i1D2 colorimeters (NEC MDSVSENSOR2). NEC colorimeter does have a counterweight. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/miahz/3986992104/

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:07 am »

With ColorMunki, EyeOne Pro and of course EyeOne Display, tilting the display provides more than enough to keep all from slipping.

Keeping your screen saver from kicking in is the problem I have to remember (disable).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

howardm

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:58 am »

I dont really care for aspects of the Munki's mechanical engineering (the rotating knob could have indentations to allow the user to actually grasp it and turn it) and the neoprene case on/off is kinda lame (would like a better interface to the screen and/or wider footprint since I tend to cover it while doing calibrations.

Athena

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:42 am »

I will definitely contact either B&H or NEC about it because I also use the puck to calibrate my 2nd monitor, which does not tilt.  Thanks so much for the quick and helpful responses everyone. :)

rmyers

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:10 pm »

I tilt the monitor back.  Sometimes it still slips and I put a piece of masking tape on the cord to hold it to the top of the monitor.  Works great.  Haven't tried the counterweight.

What about the suctions cups.  They seem to grab the screen.  I have used plastic wrap or a cut up baggie to put over the cups with a hole cut in it so it doesn't cover the sensor's "eye".  This makes it slide off the tilted screen more, so I used the masking tape.  Hmm, maybe I need to find my counterweight.

Enchanter

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:38:04 am »

What about the suctions cups.  They seem to grab the screen.  I have used plastic wrap or a cut up baggie to put over the cups with a hole cut in it so it doesn't cover the sensor's "eye".  This makes it slide off the tilted screen more, so I used the masking tape.  Hmm, maybe I need to find my counterweight.

Never, ever use the suction cups on a LCD screen; they're for glass screens. There should be a warning about this in your manual.
Wellington, New Zealand

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:52 am »

Suction cups are a no-no on an LCD. Those that have them, you gently place the instrument on the surface.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:03 am »

Also don't press down on the surface because that can screw-up all the readings.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rmyers

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »

I saw the warning in the manual, but they are on the NEC Spectraview puck and it doesn't look like they are meant to be  removed.  I have never had them stuck to the screen, but I don't like how they sort of grab the screen, so I have been covering them with plastic wrap.

Anyone removed them? 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »

I saw the warning in the manual, but they are on the NEC Spectraview puck and it doesn't look like they are meant to be  removed.  I have never had them stuck to the screen, but I don't like how they sort of grab the screen, so I have been covering them with plastic wrap.

Anyone removed them? 

If you are talking about those wee little things - ignore - no problem at all. At least, none that I've experienced. They hardly grip.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Enchanter

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 02:01:34 am »

Yes, they're not suction cups as in "suction" - they're little rubber feet.
Wellington, New Zealand

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 11:05:19 pm »

I received my monitor without the entire puck.  Wasn't in the box!  I called B&H, they had me call NEC directly.  NEC was excellent to deal with and sent a puck right away.

Enchanter

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:37 am »

You could use any number of things as a counterweight in the interim period until you receive the NEC one.
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up