Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.  (Read 6025 times)

Patricia Sheley

Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »

As with others here, I have the Evening and Evening /Schewe tomes behind me at my work area.  Underneath those a troubleshooting folder. Just printed this out, not only because of the various possible sorts, but because Dave actually took the time to lay out exactly what he found on the way to solution. Some time ago I hit panic mode well into the wee hours prepping exhibition prints and could not access the last 16x20.  Cannot open this file... (turned out I had it open on another screen and minimized) had thought at the time must be open in bridge somehow...This is the stuff of "community" .  I do sit back from the screen often and say "thankyou for that" as I read the back and forths of various members of this community and consider myself fortunate to take part time to time...(It is one of the foremost reasons I consider the "advertising" complaints to be absolute lunacy...)

You've been welcomed into the home of some very fine, knowledgeable and GENEROUS individuals...you do NOT tell them how to hold their martini or margherita....A warm and fullsome thanks...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:13:24 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 05:13:22 pm »

Great!

FILE OPEN!!! You folks are fabulous!
I moved the entire FOLDER from it's old path to the Desktop. Viola! It opens. I was NOT aware the file name character length limitation included the path. I tried to trace my history to see what happened. It was this:
When working on the project it's file path was short; something like this:
 C:\SCRATCH FOLDER\Project Name Folder\Individual files.
When I finished the project, I DID lengthen the file name with a modifier something like this: Final Cover-TEXT LAYERS INTACT etc etc etc.psd. So far so good. File opens OK.
Final step before delivery was to move folder to where I archive, a much longer path; something like this:
C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Photoshop Processed\Client Folder\Project Folder\Individual files.
Winows allowed the move of the folder.
Then my problems started. Merely moving the folder back to a shorter path solved the problem. Needless to say, I am shortening the file name.
You folks saved my day.
Thank you all.
Dave Gurtcheff

FILE
Erik Kaffehr

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »

Eric: you are welcome. What a Great Community here, that we can put our backrounds, and Professional interests aside and help each other. I hope I can return the favor soon....
BTW I am a 74 year old "Amateur", still learning.
Dave

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:21 am »

Great to hear your file is accessible again, Dave!
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up