Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.  (Read 6026 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:26:08 pm »

I did a book cover in PS, and some how gave it an invalid file name (or somehow renamed it) and it will not open. It will not allow me to change the file name, access the file, or even copy the file. I am due to deliver the file to my Client, and I am dead in the water. HELP!!!!!
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Can't open Photoshop file--MUCH TIME invested.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:33:02 pm »

Dave, you didn't say what OS you are on and what file extension the file now carries. That aside, I can't be too helpful on this because I;ve had no relevant experience, but as I read this post it occurred to me that some time in my distant past I recall seeing applications available for rescuing orphaned files by somehow correcting them and mating them to relevant applications. I think the product I saw back then was made by a firm called "Dataviz" if my memory serves me well. Check it out, or similar leads on a search and see whether you come up with some corrective app which will treat your file successfully.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »

Thanks Mark. I am using Windows XP. The file extension is .psd. I have no clue how I gave it or changed it to an improper file name. It usually warns if you try to use an illegal character. My gut feel is the file name is too long. I will check out the data recovery idea.
Thanks again
Dave

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:40:52 pm »

Just grasping at straws. But if you're using Windows, I wonder if your computer somehow thinks the file is still being opened by an application.

Have you tried rebooting?  

Paul

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »

You should be able to find the file in Windows Explorer pretty easily as long as you did not move it to a new folder.  Go to the folder and sort the files by date and see what the files names are.  Either the extension was inadvertently changed somehow or the file name itself.  I can't remember enough about XP to remember if there is a limitation on the length of the file name proper (there are some keyboard characters that cannot be used because of legacy issues but you should get a message that such a file name with those is invalid).  The other thing to look at is the Recycle Bin to make sure that the file was not inadvertently deleted (believe me it's happened to me over the years).

Hope this helps.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:51:36 pm »

Paul: Just tried it...didn't work.
Thanks
Dave

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:24:36 pm »

"It will not allow me to change the file name, access the file, or even copy the file" -- This sort of behaviour usually means the file is open in some application so rebooting fixes it. Can you even see the file at all in windows explorer?
To make sure you are seeing the full actual filesname of the file and it has not accidentally been "hidden", in Windows Explorer's "Tools" menu, select "Folder Options", the "View" tab, and...
- select the following: "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
- deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"
- deselect "Hide protected operating system files"

Once you can see the file, and the name REALLY does end in .psd, right-click on the file and look at its Properties - the "Security" tab. Your user name (or a group you are in) should have "Full control" access to the file.
Please give as much detail of error messages as you can in your reply, maybe even screen shots.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 07:58:26 pm »

Paul: Just tried it...didn't work.

Dave,

More straw-grasping... have you tried disabling your antivirus or firewall software (first unplugging your Internet connection, naturally).

Also, do you have more than one version of Photoshop on your PC? Perhaps the older version is now trying to open the file, but can't?

Paul

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:40 pm »

I can see the file in Explorer. It has a .psd extension. In fact, in Photoshop, I go to "OPEN", select the file from the folder, and I get an error message that says "The above file name is invalid". I ran CHK DSK and it did not help. When I highlight the file in Explorer, and right click, I only get limited options....Change File Name is not one of them.  Any help appreciated. IF I can't fix, I spend the better part ot tomorrow recreating the cover.
Regards
Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:42 am »

Hi,

Any funny characters in the filename?

Try to rename it. Try aaa.psd.

You don't happen to have a hidden extension?

Best regards
Erik

I can see the file in Explorer. It has a .psd extension. In fact, in Photoshop, I go to "OPEN", select the file from the folder, and I get an error message that says "The above file name is invalid". I ran CHK DSK and it did not help. When I highlight the file in Explorer, and right click, I only get limited options....Change File Name is not one of them.  Any help appreciated. IF I can't fix, I spend the better part ot tomorrow recreating the cover.
Regards
Dave

Erik Kaffehr

Gemmtech

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:26 am »

This has happened to me a few times and the only thing that ever worked was open PS, go to recent files and try to open from there.  If you have a couple different files of the same image try opening the oldest most recent file.  If it's not in your most recent list go to preferences and make PS show more recent files.  It's a corrupted file.  Oh, can you copy file to another computer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:23:03 am by Gemmtech »

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 03:41:11 am »

I have used a small program called 'Unlocker' with some success with recalcitrant files. Perhaps that might help?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Anthony.

Frankomatic

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:08:03 am »

The path to the file and the file name itself can add up to 256 characters long.  More than that and Windows Explorer won't let you modify the file name but you can modify the names of folders in the path to the file.  If you think the file name is too long, it's quite possible you've moved the file and now it has a path that exceeds the 256 char limit (though doing that should have produced an error).

The psd file extension appears to be correct, so I wouldn't modify that.  But I would try to modify the file name without changing the extension.  That way, if Explorer doesn't let you modify the name there's a good chance that you're only problem is the length of the path.  In that case I'd shorten the names of a couple folders in the path then try to modify the file name again.  You can physically count the characters, or keep shortening folder names until you reach a point where Explorer finally allows you to modify the file name.  I suspect at that point you would also be able to open the file in PS, given it's not corrupted or has some other issue.

Regards,
Frank

Oldfox

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:51 am »

My 2 cents.

- Check that your hard disk is not full.
- You can see the file in Windows Explorer. So make a copy of it (activate it with one left mouse click, Edit->Copy, Edit->Paste). Normally it appears last in the list.
- Rename it (activate the copy with one left mouse click, File->Rename). Give something simple like abc.psd

ps. I assume that you have followed kevk's suggestions. Especially "Hide extensions for known file types" is important.

ScottWylie

• http://www.scottwylie.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:57:58 am »

The path to the file and the file name itself can add up to 256 characters long.  More than that and Windows Explorer won't let you modify the file name but you can modify the names of folders in the path to the file.  If you think the file name is too long, it's quite possible you've moved the file and now it has a path that exceeds the 256 char limit (though doing that should have produced an error).

Regards,
Frank

From what you've described Frank's suggestion would seem like the correct one, you can browse to it in Windows explorer but when you try and open it Windows can't cope with the 'open file with application' type command where the full path is longer than 256 Characters.

Try copying it to your C:\ drive (not in a folder) using copy/paste in Windows explorer?

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »

FILE OPEN!!! You folks are fabulous!
I moved the entire FOLDER from it's old path to the Desktop. Viola! It opens. I was NOT aware the file name character length limitation included the path. I tried to trace my history to see what happened. It was this:
When working on the project it's file path was short; something like this:
 C:\SCRATCH FOLDER\Project Name Folder\Individual files.
When I finished the project, I DID lengthen the file name with a modifier something like this: Final Cover-TEXT LAYERS INTACT etc etc etc.psd. So far so good. File opens OK.
Final step before delivery was to move folder to where I archive, a much longer path; something like this:
C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Photoshop Processed\Client Folder\Project Folder\Individual files.
Winows allowed the move of the folder.
Then my problems started. Merely moving the folder back to a shorter path solved the problem. Needless to say, I am shortening the file name.
You folks saved my day.
Thank you all.
Dave Gurtcheff

The psd file extension appears to be correct, so I wouldn't modify that.  But I would try to modify the file name without changing the extension.  That way, if Explorer doesn't let you modify the name there's a good chance that you're only problem is the length of the path.  In that case I'd shorten the names of a couple folders in the path then try to modify the file name again.  You can physically count the characters, or keep shortening folder names until you reach a point where Explorer finally allows you to modify the file name.  I suspect at that point you would also be able to open the file in PS, given it's not corrupted or has some other issue.

Regards,
Frank

FILE

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 12:44:56 pm »

Really glad it worked out for you. I was a user of Windows (until I switched to Mac - but don't know whether OSX would cause the same kind of problem). It would be good if Microsoft built a warning into the OS telling users they were about to save a file with an inoperable Explorer path.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:47 pm »

Good to hear you got it fixed. A lesson for us all here - well, me anyway...

Anthony.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I agree, it would behoove Microsoft to make Windows more idiot proof. I was amazed when I found out Windows would allow moving a folder, then balk because the file path was invalid. Lesson well learned by me...thanks to the kind help received here.
 ::)Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »

Dave,

Thanks for doing the suffering for the rest of us! I am reminded that some of my paths are getting a bit long, but I haven't hit the wall yet.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up