Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 - White debris issue?  (Read 1767 times)

gekkardboy

Epson 9900 - White debris issue?
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »

I am having a consistent issue with very tiny white specs appearing in prints on my Epson 9900. The specs only appear the the right edge of the 44" roll where the printer head sits in its home position, but the specs never appear more than 4"-5" from the edge. It looks a lot like dust might be on the paper, but it never appears on the rest of the image. I have adjusted the platen gap several to all its wider settings, but there is no effect on the results. I am using Breathing Color's Chromata White canvas and not sure if it is paper or printer issue.

It is still under warranty and want to know if others are having this issue?

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Epson 9900 - White debris issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58:15 am »

Have you tried blowing out the paper path, especially on the right side where the head parks? Might simply need a fast blow-out.

Have you called/emailed Espon for their 2 cents?
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

gekkardboy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:07 am »

I found an old roll of 24" Epson canvas to run a test comparison and not a spec of white appeared on several prints, so it seems pretty certain this is a paper issue not a printer issue. My 9900 is 8 months old with pretty low mileage.

The current roll of BC Chromata is my second consecutive one where I am seeing this issue, but prior to that I have run through at least a dozen rolls with zero issues. Is it possible a batch of paper that is contaminated with dust thru the roll in one particular area?    

Thanks for the input Langier. What method is best for spraying out the printer?

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:37 am »

Even though many times it seems as though it is simply "dust redistribution", I take the canned air and look for areas of dust accumulation and just give the can a squirt or two.

Usually the place that has the worst dust and dust bunnies is my Mac Pro and my JBOD boxes since they sit on the floor.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

gekkardboy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:47:58 am »

Just wanted to post the final verdict for this issue. It turns out there is some very slight raised stippling on the paper. The inconsistent surface was not allowing the ink to spray properly onto the canvas and leaving numerous white specs/spots. After some comparison tests came out fine on another brand of paper, I happen to run my hand over the canvas prints where the issue had occurred. There was a slight, but noticeable difference in the texture of the paper there vs. the rest of the print where the ink printed without issue.

I sent some photos to Breathing Color and they called me back to tell me they are looking into the issue. They said this would be very rare, but possibly there is some contamination with the lot. The issue was made more elusive by the fact that it did not appear till about halfway through the roll, but this is definitely the source.

I started using Breathing Color products about six months ago and I've been very pleased with the results of their products. This is the second time BC has stepped up to help me solve an obscure issue with their products. Its good to know there our still companies out there willing stand behind their products. Wish I could say the same for GE and our dishwasher that is only 3 months old.     

marsico

• dennis marsico
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »

I have the same dust issue on the leading edge of roll paper (in particular the Canson Baryta). What I've found to be the problem was dust build on the cutting blade. I removed the blade cleaned with canned air and now cut the paper manually.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:05 pm »

Another common source of dust is the surfaces in the paper path through the printer which graudally get contaminated with dust particles mainly from the edges of art papers and canvas.  My 9880 drives media backwards during the loading cycle, this can cause it unroll and contact dusty surfaces around the roll.  The solution is to wipe those surfaces for each new roll change.  And blow dust off the leading edge of the roll at the beginning of each new printing session, and after each cut.

Have seen very few "dusty" rolls where the dust wasn't caused by me.

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:35:54 am »

I happen to run my hand over the canvas prints where the issue had occurred. There was a slight, but noticeable difference in the texture of the paper there vs. the rest of the print where the ink printed without issue.

Then I'd say you don't have a dust problem.
If it is canvas you are most likely experiencing a imprefection in the weave of that roll that has caused a raised thread through that particular section of the canvas. Art Canvas is sometimes 'knotty' but canvas for printing should be pretty smoothe especially with the coatings.I'd say it's probably a defect and I'm pretty sure Breathing Color will compensate you for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up