Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time shooting architectural/interiors... need advice quick!  (Read 11650 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: First time shooting architectural/interiors... need advice quick!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 06:59:12 am »

* drink plenty of water
* wear comfy shoes
* TAKE YOUR TIME
Through my experience I have found that those are very important.  (Always forget about the water thing until after the headache sets in)
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

MarkoMijailovic

• MRKM FOTO
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to reply...

Hope you don't all get upset 'cause of this, but I went in to speak with the owner and turns out he just wants me to take lifestyle type shots of people (models) enjoying themselves at the bar, tables, etc. and of the kitchen staff at work. I was very relieved. He said he'd like architectural shots done in about a month, once everything's 100%. I'm thinking I'll just tell him that I don't specialize in that area of photography or maybe just give it a go (after taking the next month to read all I can and practice as much as I can). I'll post some (very rough snapshot) photos of the place later. He had these blinds installed that defuse the outdoor light very nicely for use in sunny conditions, so I'm thinking if I do shoot the place I'd use that to my advantage (IMO the view isn't the greatest). Ceilings are 13 ft.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips and info! Greatly appreciated.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:43 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to reply...

Hope you don't all get upset 'cause of this, but I went in to speak with the owner and turns out he just wants me to take lifestyle type shots of people (models) enjoying themselves at the bar, tables, etc. and of the kitchen staff at work. I was very relieved. He said he'd like architectural shots done in about a month, once everything's 100%. I'm thinking I'll just tell him that I don't specialize in that area of photography or maybe just give it a go (after taking the next month to read all I can and practice as much as I can). I'll post some (very rough snapshot) photos of the place later. He had these blinds installed that defuse the outdoor light very nicely for use in sunny conditions, so I'm thinking if I do shoot the place I'd use that to my advantage (IMO the view isn't the greatest). Ceilings are 13 ft.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips and info! Greatly appreciated.

Since you have got a bunch of people going on this subject to help you, I think it would still be nice if you posted some scouting shots soon, just to get a bit of closure to this for the moment.

By the way, I think what you are talking about doing falls more in the "interior" photography category, rather than architecture, although there may be an architectural component to the shoot if shooting the exterior. For this purpose, you will almost certainly be shooting the interior to emphasize the decor and the ambiance of the space, rather than the overall design of the building. Others have already said that above, in one way or another, but this is an important distinction that I think warrants emphasis.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »

By the way, I think what you are talking about doing falls more in the "interior" photography category, rather than architecture, although there may be an architectural component to the shoot if shooting the exterior. For this purpose, you will almost certainly be shooting the interior to emphasize the decor and the ambiance of the space, rather than the overall design of the building. Others have already said that above, in one way or another, but this is an important distinction that I think warrants emphasis.

Architecture is not just exteriors, a common misconception. There are exterior and interiors aspects of all architectural design. Does anyone design a building without considering both the exterior and interior? Some refer to it as interior architecture and it overlaps with the work that interior designers do, but oftentimes there actually is no "interior designer" perse-with all the work done by the licensed architects. My AP practice is 99% architects (I prefer the way they think vs. interior designers) and I don't remember shooting just exteriors on a building except for the odd developer's portfolio. In AP photography there are people who specialize in interiors, but none that I know of that specialize in just exteriors. When I am shooting interiors, I am shooting part of the architecture.

Architecture:
the profession of designing buildings, open areas, communities, and other artificial constructions and environments, usually with some regard to aesthetic effect. Architecture often includes design or selection of furnishings and decorations, supervision of construction work, and the examination, restoration, or remodeling of existing buildings.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:58:39 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »

Architecture is not just exteriors, a common misconception. There are exterior and interiors aspects of all architectural design. Does anyone design a building without considering both the exterior and interior? Some refer to it as interior architecture and it overlaps with the work that interior designers do, but oftentimes there actually is no "interior designer" perse-with all the work done by the licensed architects. My AP practice is 99% architects (I prefer the way they think vs. Interior designers) and I don't remember shooting just exteriors on a building except for the odd developer's portfolio. In AP photography there are people who specialize in interiors, but none that I know of that specialize in just exteriors. When I am shooting interiors, I am shooting part fo the architecture.

Architecture:

Kirk, thanks for that. I know that, and I just gave kind of an incomplete explanation in the interest of brevity, and based on the immediate need of the OP. Anyway, it is better if the full explanation comes from someone with more authority on the subject, such as yourself.

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »

Kirk, thanks for that. I know that, and I just gave kind of an incomplete explanation in the interest of brevity, and based on the immediate need of the OP. Anyway, it is better if the full explanation comes from someone with more authority on the subject, such as yourself.

I thought that might be true, a quickie oversimplified explanation that is.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rudy Torres

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 03:26:02 pm »

Funny.
I was talking to a friend/photographer about this thread this morning. And I mentioned to him about the different opinions on this thread about the definition of an Architectural Photographer and how it differs around the world. I too, like Kirk, have never had an Architectural Client come to me and ask only to shoot the outside of their building. Never.

This came up on a previous thread from Lust4life as he was transitioning his career to Architectural Photography. His plan was to only concentrate on exteriors.
Hmmm, interesting....

The other aspect to think about is billing. You make more if you shoot more. It's just that simple.

- Rudy

aaronleitz

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:09 pm »

We produce images for 'others' to use - so therefore, we only make more if 'others' want to use our images more.
Which is very different to shooting more, for the fun of it.

Ha! I knew Ashley was going to jump on that one ;-)

Rudy Torres

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »

Oh Come On Ashley
Your going to make more if you license more than one image. Give me a break. We all need to make money to live.
And as far as Advertising. Its all for Advertising. It may may not end up in a magazine ad or a brochure, but as soon as that Architect shows off those images, It's Advertising.
Let's not stand on a pillar of "all-mightiness."
I enjoy what I do for a living and I get paid for it. I don't do it "just for fun."

Here we have guy that just asked for some help and we had to turn this into some thread about who should who shouldn't shoot Architecture.
Who's to say. He might just do a Fantastic Job and might just transition to shooting Architecture. I am not going to discourage him from shooting this job.
For everyone there is a first time.

- Rudy

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 11:09:25 pm »

American architectural photography as seen on this site, is just as boring, as the American landscape photography you also can see on this site.

Also the international trend of architectural photography are moving away from the clean sterile boring architectural style.

......boring as hell from an architectural standpoint, but I am sure very commercial successful.

Going through your comments it was really BORING to read all of them because they are so lacking in purpose or common sense.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:11:20 pm by Abdulrahman Aljabri »
MY SITE: AL

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:44 am »

Seems like there is allot of confusion here between advertising photography where buildings are a secondary subject and the primary purpose is to sell some use of the building verses traditional architectural photography where the building is the sole subject and the intent is to celebrate the creativity of the building designer. Some photographers do both but few do both well as they are completely different visual languages and mind sets. Few people are that versatile. Historically the former has been much better compensated than the later, but better money doesn't mean one is superior or more meaningful than the other. Nor does how many images you make in a day.

I have always been more comfortable and stimulated by the creative motives of traditional architectural photography, because I have a heartfelt love of light on form. Commercially that led me to a focus on architecture, which is essentially and simply just light on form. I believe I understand architects and what drives them and my better architectural photographs demonstrate a profound symbiotic relationship-creative interpretations of architectural design. For me personally there is no higher purpose and I find it immensely satisfying. Personally, I don't find the same shared purpose and comfort with ad agency creatives, though to pay the bills I have waded in that market off and on. But it is just not me and when I have enough architectural photography, I don't touch it despite the money. For those starting out, I personally think it is more important to find your aesthetic passion and that will lead to success however you choose to define it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:56:34 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

LKaven

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 01:59:00 am »

Seems like there is allot of confusion here between advertising photography where buildings are a secondary subject and the primary purpose is to sell some use of the building verses traditional architectural photography where the building is the sole subject and the intent is to celebrate the creativity of the building designer. Some photographers do both but few do both well as they are completely different visual languages and mind sets. Few people are that versatile. Historically the former has been much better compensated than the later, but better money doesn't mean one is superior or more meaningful than the other. Nor does how many images you make in a day.
I've noticed that when I do work for some developers, they tacitly want both kinds of things.  Both the architect and the brokers are in the loop.  The brochures I see in Tribeca seem to have a mix of images that say "behold our beautiful creation" with "you: buy now, live here".  Style and fashion seem to be a big part of it. 

Kirk, your work is quite amazing.  Thanks for providing the side trip. 

Rudy Torres

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 02:05:30 am »

Why not shoot 30 images a day, or 50.  Hell, they're all being used in advertising, right?  Only I haven't seen many interior shots that took less then an hour get licensed that extensively, or at least demanded that high of a price.  

So, which would you rather have, being know for producing amazing work that will be licensed extensively and repeatedly, or for creating okay work that never gets licensed beyond the initial contract?  

I don't know about you, but I choose the former.  No body has ever been given an award for being mediocre.  
Wow I don't even know where that came from. All I was trying to say was why only shoot the outside when you can shoot the inside too and make more.
I have never been able to shoot 30 shots in a day. As I am sure you never have either.
I have been in business for 20 years because of my passion for photography. I certainly don't need a lecture from you with regards to quality vs quantity, and repeated licensing as opposed to one time use.

All he wanted was some help. I choose to help. Some of you obviously didn't feel he was worthy. Give me a break!

Kirk, your trying to be more diplomatic and I certainly respect that.

- Rudy

JoeKitchen

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 05:27:03 am »

The other aspect to think about is billing. You make more if you shoot more. It's just that simple.

- Rudy
I took this to mean shoot as many as you can in a day with quality taking a second burner.  If that is not what you meant, than I was wrong in what I wrote and sorry to offend you. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:28:59 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 02:49:14 pm »

I've noticed that when I do work for some developers, they tacitly want both kinds of things.  Both the architect and the brokers are in the loop.  The brochures I see in Tribeca seem to have a mix of images that say "behold our beautiful creation" with "you: buy now, live here".  Style and fashion seem to be a big part of it.  

Kirk, your work is quite amazing.  Thanks for providing the side trip.  

Thanks for the kind words.

As to multiple client shoots, I insist on a couple of things if I sense disparate interests. First, I may insist on separate shoots. Second I only want one client represented at the shoot preferably who I consider to be my primary client. I don't work by committee.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:35:37 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »

I only want one client represented at the shoot preferably who I consider to be my primary client. I don't work by committee.

+1000
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up