Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon DPP 'Color temperature' control question  (Read 14824 times)

petercook80

Canon DPP 'Color temperature' control question
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:57:25 am »

Hi, I use Canon DPP (3.9.2.0) to edit files from my Canon G10 and have the following issue.
If I select the Color temperature control slider to adjust white balance it always seems to start off at 5200k rather than the start point of the image (which seems like the best place to start to me) and furthermore it seems impossible to actually get the slider to a point where the image visually matches 'shot settings' (doing a before and after view), which also seems rather odd to me.
Is this normal behaviour? Is there a workaround? Does it annoy others?

Bruce O

Re: Canon DPP 'Color temperature' control question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:09:16 pm »

That is the way the slider works.  It doesn't bother me so much as I only use it as an adjustment method of last resort.

My preferred tool for adjusting white balance is the 'click' tool.  If I can find the right white or grey tone in my image, then I always get the best results with this tool.

If I'm not happy with the results from the 'click' tool, my next step is to try the different "Daylight', 'Cloudy', 'Shade', etc. presets.

If neither of the above work, I will use the color temperature slider, then use the color tone slider, if necessary, to correct any color shift.  Actually, you can do both of these at once with the color wheel tool (the 'tune' button) but I prefer to do them separately.

petercook80

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:27:11 am »

Thanks for that Bruce, I do prefer the click tool as well but was just interested in finding out more about the Color temperature control. 

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:03:40 am »

I actually prefer the slider over the eyedropper because I to see how the photo looks at varying temperatures. I prefer to set it to taste rather than for accuracy - but I don't do colour-critical ad/product work. I like some shots slightly warmer and others slightly cooler. The slider best allows me to see the range fastest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up