Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit EXIF: camera, lens, f-stop, exposure time, film type  (Read 17074 times)

jsch

Edit EXIF: camera, lens, f-stop, exposure time, film type
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:40:23 pm »

Hi,

I want to import my scanned images, shot on film, into Lightroom. As far as I know I can edit the EXIF data of the capture time in Lightroom. But I want to edit the EXIF data for Camera, lens, f-Stop, exposure time, film type too.

I'm on a Mac with OSX 10.5 and use LR3.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Johannes

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Edit EXIF: camera, lens, f-stop, exposure time, film type
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »

Any stand-alone EXIF editor can do that.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

Capture Time to Exif is my Lightroom plugin designed for updating scans - it's like a Lightroom front end for Exiftool.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:19:34 pm »

Hi Johannes

When I designed the plug-in the feedback was that it was wanted by people who already had some experience of Exiftool and who liked a very "bare bones" interface that let them enter whatever arguments they wanted. So the sample code is very limited. But it does in fact include the argument "-FNumber=5.6" which should handle your f stop question. Also Exiftool itself is well-documented, though in rather technical language, and also provides examples of other arguments.

If this is important to you, I'd advise you to gain a little experience of Exiftool by writing to using some test images. The plug-in can generate a text file and there are instructions about how to turn this into a batch file which you can run with the -k argument. It depends on how geeky you may be!

Paypal is the only payment method we use, or my Amazon wish list would also work.

John

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »

I try to understand your tool. I would buy it at once, but I'm not a Pay Pal member and to be honest, I don't want to be one - if I can avoid it.

You can pay by Paypal without joining if you have credit card. They make it purposefully unclear and try to push membership, but it is possible.

stewarthemley

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:15:18 am »

Hi John. I've also looked at it but just glazed over! I bet there would be bigger take up if you could find time to make an interface for people like me who have a need for such a thing but not the time to master (what to you might be simple) code. Just a thought.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:35:02 am »

Yes, point taken, Stewart. I don't rule out providing a simpler interface, with a dozen or so simple text boxes for focal length or f stop. But which fields? I also have a bit of a problem making it too easy for people who really shouldn't be editing Exif data. They probably won't corrupt their files (thanks to Exiftool) but they could easily overwrite a lot of valuable metadata and waste equally-costly working time. And no matter how big the health warning, they'll still blame me!

John

stewarthemley

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:15:19 am »

And your point equally well taken. It might be one of those lose/lose situations. Trying to help people, at a minimal cost to them, but then finding just how demanding, unrealistic and ungrateful some people can be.

And there may not be a massive demand. My need is to simply remove all exif data from some images rather than add it. So my need would be simple: a text box that does that. But I guess there might be almost as many needs as photographers, which would obviously not be feasible. But thanks for replying. I'm sure it's a great tool to have in the box if you're smart enough to use it.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:38 am »

I have written a plugin for Lightroom that does exactly that.

For the moment you can only edit Lenses, but the next Version will have support for camera and film type as well.

Oh and it's free.

The plugin can be found here:

http://www.essl.de/wp/2012/05/07/adding-foreign-lens-info-in-lightroom/

cheers,
dirk

Dirk:  Many thanks.  I've downloaded your latest version.  Haven't tried it yet, but it looks just like what I was previously in contact with John Beardy about expanding into earlier this year.  His current app is command line yet manageable, but yours is significantly easier.  Jim
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:44:41 am »

How nice, first post here too....

msbc

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »

How nice, first post here too....

Yes, it's nice to see some alternatives/competition :-) Maybe you should take a closer look at Dirks efforts.
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »

What, you think I'll see an original idea?

DirkEssl

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:33:03 am »

Wow,

looks like my post and my user has been deleted because I posted a link to my free plugin.

Anyways there is a new Version out.
http://www.essl.de/wp/2012/05/24/lenstagger-now-with-analog-camera-film-support/

Forum Mods: You could have at least warned me and I would have removed my post

cheers,
dirk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:36 am »

Your post was deleted because there was a more recent post from "someone else" (sure it wasn't you?) who had registered here only to say he liked your plugin. He hasn't posted anything else. His post looked very spammy, and I reported it as such. I didn't complain about yours, but don't you think there's a bad smell when someone registers on a forum and the first and only thing they contribute is to promote something they've done in a thread where a "competing" plugin (one I wrote) is discussed? It's a bit much complaining about the moderators when your own activity looks dubious. Hope the interpersonal skills classes are going well though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:43:22 am by johnbeardy »

DirkEssl

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:24 am »

Your post was deleted because there was a more recent post from "someone else" (sure it wasn't you?) who had registered here only to say he liked your plugin. He hasn't posted anything else. His post looked very spammy, and I reported it as such. I didn't complain about yours, but don't you think there's a bad smell when someone registers on a forum and the first and only thing they contribute is to promote something they've done in a thread where a "competing" plugin (one I wrote) is discussed? How are the interpersonal skills classes going?

I did register here to announce my plugin just because I was in the same situation as the OP and found this post while I was looking for a solution. As I didn't find anything that fits me, I decided to write my own plugin.
I did not and do not need to register another account just to say my plugin is great. All I wanted is to help the OP.
Of course, if I would earn money from my Software (like you?) and someone posts something that does the same for free I would be a bit upset.

What's wrong with my interpersonal skills?

--
dirk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 10:27:45 am »

Even your best friends don't tell you?

So, let's see, you found this thread where my Exiftool plugin is discussed, and then you decided to write your own and join the forum to announce it. Let's pretend we're talking photos and you were a long-standing contributor here and I'd read a thread mentioning a photograph by you of Schloss Neuwanstein which was for sale. Hey, l'll just go off and make a slightly different shot of the same subject, then do as you did and announce it here. Nice, eh? Sorry, I'm not even alleging you ripped off my idea (it's no more original than that castle), but at the very least your activity is impolite.

DirkEssl

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:29 am »

Even your best friends don't tell you?
As I am interpersonal disabled, I should not have any friends.

So, let's see, you found this thread where my Exiftool plugin is discussed, and then you decided to write your own and join the forum to announce it. Let's pretend we're talking photos and you were a long-standing contributor here and I'd read a thread mentioning a photograph by you of Schloss Neuwanstein which was for sale. Hey, l'll just go off and make a slightly different shot of the same subject, then do as you did and announce it here. Nice, eh? Sorry, I'm not even alleging you ripped off my idea (it's no more original than that castle), but at the very least your activity is impolite.

I am really sorry if I pissed you off and I do not want to start a flame war here. I did not copy your plugin, nor did I take the idea for this plugin from you.
I just don't like you going on a personal level here. I am a nice guy, really, and for sure you are a nice guy, too. If we would meet, we would drink a couple of beers and laugh about lua scripting. I would then give you a print of Neuschwanstein that I made.

As I don't make money out of my plugins, my photos or out of my other software that I write, feel free to get my links removed.

cheers,
dirk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:25 am »

OK, Dirk, then let's leave it nicely. I questioned the second post, and I take your word that it wasn't you. But over a few beers, Lua scripting is the last thing I'd want to talk about!

John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »

feel free to get my links removed.

MODS:
Please don't remove Dirk's contributions here.
I think it's a good thing that people arrive and post relevant and useful information here, it can't be considered spam. There's hardly any commercial interest involved here when Dirk's utilities are free. Also there's been no discourtesy from him towards any members of the forum, which is more than can said for others here who should know better.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

I agree the link should not be removed. I felt there was discourtesy, but we've cleared it up and I accept Dirk's good faith.

Thanks for your unhelpful contribution.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up