Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson premium glossy and semi gloss too cool  (Read 1268 times)

woof75

epson premium glossy and semi gloss too cool
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:08:11 pm »

I love the image quality of these papers but they are both too cool for me. I don't want a warm look just something that doesn't look cool/blue. I wan't the bias to be in the warm direction rather than the cool direction. Colour accuracy is very important and I don't want to have to have custom profiles made so the available profiles must be good too. Any suggestions (for colour work on an epson 2880 printer).

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: epson premium glossy and semi gloss too cool
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »

I love the image quality of these papers but they are both too cool for me. I don't want a warm look just something that doesn't look cool/blue. I wan't the bias to be in the warm direction rather than the cool direction. Colour accuracy is very important and I don't want to have to have custom profiles made so the available profiles must be good too. Any suggestions (for colour work on an epson 2880 printer).
Ilford Gold Fibre Silk gives excellent results on your printer and you might want to try it.  As I recall the Ilford profile is pretty darn good (I sold my 2880 last year and did a lot of printing with this paper).

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »

The majority of RC papers is that cool or even cooler.

There are some nprmal HP RC qualities that are slightly warmer but only the RC proofing papers of more manufacturers have positive b values. Epson Proofing White Semimatte for example +1.3.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Sven W

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:33:19 pm »

Is it the paper color itself, you're not satisfied with or the cooler appearance of the images?
As Ernst told you: Some proofing papers are the only glossy without FBA, (except for some Baryta/Fiber, as Alan's tip)
resulting in a warm/neutral tone. Tecco/Efi has a wide range of these papers.

A quick way for warming an image is to use the PhotoFilter Adj.layer and apply the wellknown Wratten #85.

And my last tip is to make your own paper. No, I'm not joking. Haven't tried it on glossy papers but works just fine
on matte; Print the whole paper with a monochrome image, say 250-240-210 in ARGB, let it dry a couple of hours,
print your image of choice on top of the monochrome. Then trim the small white borders and Voilá !
I once printed an old b&w reproduction in that way, because the customer wanted even the borders to look like the original yellow-pinkish Argenta paper.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Aristoc

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »

Nice tip on wratten #85. it works. I also love semi gloss. better than epson luster.

Is it the paper color itself, you're not satisfied with or the cooler appearance of the images?
As Ernst told you: Some proofing papers are the only glossy without FBA, (except for some Baryta/Fiber, as Alan's tip)
resulting in a warm/neutral tone. Tecco/Efi has a wide range of these papers.

A quick way for warming an image is to use the PhotoFilter Adj.layer and apply the wellknown Wratten #85.

And my last tip is to make your own paper. No, I'm not joking. Haven't tried it on glossy papers but works just fine
on matte; Print the whole paper with a monochrome image, say 250-240-210 in ARGB, let it dry a couple of hours,
print your image of choice on top of the monochrome. Then trim the small white borders and Voilá !
I once printed an old b&w reproduction in that way, because the customer wanted even the borders to look like the original yellow-pinkish Argenta paper.

/Sven

Pages: [1]   Go Up