Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: pouring resin onto prints ?  (Read 20385 times)

Aristoc

Re: pouring resin onto prints ?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:09:13 am »

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:11:00 am by Aristoc »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 04:15:42 pm »

I know some here are concerned if their prints will last a 1000 years or longer and I'm not sure this process will accomplish that feat.
Actually I betting most here are pretty happy with 100+ years ... I've never seen anyone trying to get 1000 years and I don't recall seeing any inkjet process yet claiming  to have millennium archival paper and inks.  After all, to last a 1000 years it will probably have to manage being nearly destroyed multiple times, and end up being found in an archeological dig somewhere in 3111.  (I would guess resin covered prints, if they were backed with something other than wood may have the best shot at something like that.)

We've used to do a process similar to this with UV curable resins.  After coating, they sat in a UV light box for a while, came out hard.  The occasional bubble could be handled with a little plumbers torch. Tough, glossy, and very rich colors.  Nice look for some things.

Aristoc

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:17 am »

just to clarify, when they say it will last 100 years, does that mean it begins to degrade at 100 years or has it already started before that? ???

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:52 am »

Someone recently told me they were at a Peter Lik gallery and thought the prints were resin coated like what this thread is describing.  Anyone here ever been to one of his galleries and see prints close up?
CMurph

mikev1

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 03:27:15 pm »

I could be wrong but I don't think they are resin coated.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up