Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using enlarger as slide projector  (Read 5273 times)

juliagreenberg

Using enlarger as slide projector
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »

hi, everyone,
I am not sure weather this is a very stupid question or not, but here goes:

Do you think an enlarger would work as an slideprojector for positive films larger than 35mm?

I want to project my 6x7, 6x9 and 4x5, as i do with a regular slide projector and 35mm slides.
Unfortunately, slide projectors for mf are very expensive, and I can't seem to find a projector for formats that are larger than 6x6 (6x7, 6x9 or 4x5 films). I saw this enlarger on ebay (LPL C7700), with 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 masks. It won't solve the LF problem, but will solve about 70% of my problems. I am not in the US so in 'my' ebay 4x5 enlargers are very rare

Do you think this could work? Could I get a clear, bright image projecting positive film from an enlarger? Would I have to change the lamps, or something like that?

Thank you for your help!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Using enlarger as slide projector
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:11 am »

It you are in a very dark room, have an optimal screen, and a very small audience, this may work. As I recall, most of the enlargers I've used in the past 40 years have been pretty dim. I wouldn't want to even try to up the power in the head due to heat and fade issues and the size and bulk of the enlarger. Some of the parts may also fall off since most enlargers are vertically stacked and many use gravity to keep things together.

What about using an overhead projector? You may be able to find one in a used office supply or on eBay?

I've considered using these for my MF/LF films but never gave it a try, I simply duped my film on 35mm and dropped them into the Carousel tray.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up