Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colourspace rendering between two apps  (Read 1032 times)

ejnewman

colourspace rendering between two apps
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:32:37 pm »

I have spent sometime working out how to get consistent colours working across my suit of software and have noticed differences in the way Nuke handles sRGB images compared to Photoshop.

The only way I seem to be able to make them look the same is by doing the following:

Photoshop:
sRGB input image>no profile assigned>working space=monitor profile (I know this goes against recommendations)
Nuke:
sRGB input image>sRGB colourspace on file-in node>sRGB viewer process

By "doing things correctly" in Photoshop I seem to be getting a difference in the appearance:

Photoshop:
sRGB input image>sRGB profile assigned>working space=sRGB
Nuke:
sRGB input image>sRGB colourspace on file-in node>sRGB viewer process

I have added the images to show this difference, on the left shows Nuke, on the right shows Photoshop - notice how there is a slight saturation and brightness difference? Can anybody explain why this is happening?

Also, is there any information that I can read that explains why Photoshop needs a working space when you have the assign and convert tools? I'm struggling to understand why I would need to define my working space if I work with tagged images (of various colourspaces) that Photoshop renders appropriately in the first place. Even untagged images just need to be assigned or converted appropriately, what purpose does this working space serve?

Thanks all,
Elliot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up