Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GH2 Revisited  (Read 6176 times)

Noel Greene

Panasonic GH2 Revisited
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:28:42 pm »

Thanks Michael for a very nice review. When one reads your review and connects it with Mark Dubovoy's "creativity" article it is clear from your enthusiasm that you are really enjoying the GH2. It also seems clear to me that your creative "juices" have also benefitted. Your series of images from San Miguel are the best in my view that you have produced of late.

barryfitzgerald

Re: Panasonic GH2 Revisited
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:16:03 pm »

I was an interesting read though I cringed at the viewfinder section nothing wrong with what was said but I don't do "get used to it" I do personal choice. Bit like dragging someone along for an Indian meal when they hate it..strap them to a chair and force feed them I feel the same way about EVF's (though I like Indian food)

Nothing wrong with what was said and I respect his view however I embrace choice for all and it would be nice to once to not hear "death chants to the OVF" some of us would like a bit of support on this from higher profile folks and people who write articles. The camera industry does not always do what is in the best interests of users (compacts with no viewfinders at all) and a move to EVF is controversial and will be resisted by some (and no I'm not retired or old but I like a clear non processed optical view)

Leaving that to one side again size is something that makers will have to accept they can only go so far with reducing it human hands dictate that as well as personal taste one persons too big is another ones too small.

John Camp

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:20:45 pm »

A good, fair and accurate review.

I have been shooting a GF1, GH1 and GH2 against a Pentax K5 and my older Nikon D3/D300 systems, and I find one shortcoming that Michael mentioned but didn't stress -- the K5 and the D3 are both virtually miraculous cameras (for a long-time film shooter) when it comes to high ISO. The GH2 is better than film (IMHO) but won't touch the Pentax or Nikon. The K5 is so good -- approaching the D3 -- that I've pretty much given up on Nikon. The Nikon system is just too heavy, and I don't print bigger than 13x19. I agree with Michael that for that sized print, you don't lose anything with m/3, unless you're shooting in dim light. For that, the Pentax is pretty much the answer. It's only slightly bigger (but notably heavier) than the m4/3, and has a really good viewfinder. As with most of the APS-C and FF cameras, the real problem is the lenses, if you want to carry a good selection. They are really bulky, compared to the m4/3 -- and that's the problem with the Sony NEX, in my opinion. It is, as Sony says, "the world's smallest interchangeable lens camera," but the lenses are the same old APS-C size. If you want a good selection, you need a mule. Like Michael, I walk around with a 14-140.

A few days ago, I shot a blues singer on Third Street in Santa Monica, just after sunset, with the GH2 set at ISO 1600, and as I expected, there was quite a bit of noise; but it cleaned up *very* well in Lightroom 3. (You need to download the recent LR3 update to use the GH2.) I'd just gotten the LR3, and I was deeply impressed.

In addition to the fact that you don't lose much with prints of 3x19 and smaller, of course, you also don't lose anything at all on the net.

A note on batteries -- the batteries for the GH2 are not the same as the GF1 and GH1 batteries -- you need a different size. I don't know why. Some people have had trouble getting batteries, but I went to the Panasonic site, went to the "parts" section, put in the part number, and it popped right up. I ordered two batteries, and they were here (in California) in four or five days. But that also means carrying two battery chargers, and, if you're like me, and a little psycho about backups, four battery chargers. The chargers are small. I plan to solve that problem by buying another GH2 (or an updated GF) as soon as they are available. If you want a GH2, it pays to keep your eyes open. I was in Samy's camera, in Pasadena, and some guy who ordered one never came in, and they put it on the shelf. I grabbed it. That was back in December...

I have 3 Panasonic cameras, and find that I can get all three, with a good selection of lenses, extra batteries, chargers, etc., in a small bag that easily fits in the overhead of even the smaller regional jets -- a bag smaller than a typical briefcase.

The 100-300 is a marvel. I also love the flexible LCD - I won't be without one, now, if I can avoid it. I think the m4/3 may be the "new" Leica, much bigger and more flexible than the P&S formats, with "good enough" IQ; just as the Leica didn't quite have the IQ of the large format cameras in the 30s and 40s, but the combination of "good enough" and small size was a winner.

My one thought about Panasonic vs Olympus in m4/3 concerns the IS systems. In the Panasonic, IS is lens-based. Olympus uses sensor-based IS. That means that Olympus lenses can be more compact, I'm told. I don't know much about internal IS,but if it's as good as lens-based IS, and if the lenses are indeed more compact, that might be a consideration in the future. 

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:53:19 pm »

My one thought about Panasonic vs Olympus in m4/3 concerns the IS systems. In the Panasonic, IS is lens-based. Olympus uses sensor-based IS. That means that Olympus lenses can be more compact, I'm told. I don't know much about internal IS,but if it's as good as lens-based IS, and if the lenses are indeed more compact, that might be a consideration in the future.  

I use Panasonic MFT lenses on Olympus E-PL1. Not sure how much bulk and weight in-lens IS adds, but the Panny lenses have considerably better IQ than equivalent Oly lenses according to almost all reviews and tests - and I confirmed this myself with the 14-42/45mm kit lenses. IBIS was the #1 reason why I chose Olympus over Panasonic. Not all Panasonic lenses are stabilized, and IBIS means even legacy lenses are stabilized.

Haven't bothered to test the effectiveness of IBIS vs lens stabilization - it's a tough one to test objectively and consistently.

Olympus is rumored to announce "pro" level lenses and a body later this year, presumably with a new sensor. Panasonic is expected to announce a new MFT camera soon.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:49 am »

Thanks for the review and bringing some of the wonderful features of this camera to followers of LL.

My GH2 arrived a week or so ago and its been great fun to use with cracking images & video - and I've not read the manual yet!!

I recently tested the Leica S2 and enjoyed how that took MF ideas / quality and wrapped it up  into a very tidy package - The GH2 will not replace my D700/D3 for low light or the D3x for sheer resolution, dynamic range and image quality -  BUT it does exceed the image quality required for a lot of tasks, including many light commercial and events without having to bring a whole heap of gear. With good video for those moments too, I feel this has been a wise addition to my camera equipment line up.

atb
Steven

image examples are at my website  [url=h

TEBnewyork

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

A note on batteries -- the batteries for the GH2 are not the same as the GF1 and GH1 batteries -- you need a different size. I don't know why. Some people have had trouble getting batteries, but I went to the Panasonic site, went to the "parts" section, put in the part number, and it popped right up. I ordered two batteries, and they were here (in California) in four or five days. But that also means carrying two battery chargers, and, if you're like me, and a little psycho about backups, four battery chargers. The chargers are small. I plan to solve that problem by buying another GH2 (or an updated GF) as soon as they are available. If you want a GH2, it pays to keep your eyes open. I was in Samy's camera, in Pasadena, and some guy who ordered one never came in, and they put it on the shelf. I grabbed it. That was back in December...

I have 3 Panasonic cameras, and find that I can get all three, with a good selection of lenses, extra batteries, chargers, etc., in a small bag that easily fits in the overhead of even the smaller regional jets -- a bag smaller than a typical briefcase.

You won't be able to solve the charger backup problem with a GF2.  Unfortunately, it does not use the same battery as the GH2.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:02:33 pm »

Thanks Michael for the continued thoughts on this camera. I took my own GH2 out this morning, on my walk/hike. This shot is a good example of why having the GH2 is so nice. I wouldn't haul my 5D2 on a walk like this. Even if I did, I wouldn't have my 300mm or 400mm mounted. Even if I had one of those long lenses with me, I couldn't have mounted it in time to capture this moment.

So walking around with this camera, and in this case the 100-300, is really a joy.

Bob
 ht

mikev1

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:03:13 am »

I enjoyed the article especially the part about print quality at 13 x 19.  I own a small photo printing company and have  the megapixel discussion almost daily with clients. I often run into people who thinks that the latest and greatest megapixel machine will make them a better artist.  The truth of the matter is that some of my best clients (in terms of vision and quality as determined by me :D) use relatively modest equipment.

My advice to family and friends on a budget is buy a cheap body and spend the extra $$$ on lenses.

What I'm curious about is the shutter response time.  I had an Olympus Ep-1 but sold it as it was a real pain taking pictures of my two toddlers.  The lag was killing me.  I'll buy into the 4/3rds micro 4/3rds sytem again at some point.

To echo Michaels comment if you want gallery worth 40 x 60 prints buy the most expensive DSLR or medium format you can afford.  Even then I made a 40 x 60 print from a 8 megapixel camera that the client raved about.   I must admit though it was a subject matter than had very little detail and almost no hard edges.

Sylvia in Calif.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

My first post here...

Can someone please provide a link to this review? I can't find it :( .

Many thanks!

michael

billh

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »

Nice shot Bob. I feel the same way. If I am going specifically to take photos, especially action in low light, I’ll take the D3s (but usually the diminutive GH2 tags along). For hiking and for nature video, I now take the GH2 with 100-300 and leave the big Sony video camera at home. I find I still have to use the large video tripod and fluid head for decent ECT mode video, and would love to find a smaller lighter option. For a walk in the woods with the dogs, I almost always carry the GH2 with the 14-140 lens. Sometimes I get deer, and in the snow I got some nice video of them running and leaping logs. I wouldn't  have either if I didn’t have the GH2.
Bill

njneer

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »

For some humour (perhaps in questionable taste) about the availability of the GH2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhDoZbWOPQc

michael

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:23:58 pm »

That's the best one yet!

Michael

Sylvia in Calif.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 03:33:00 am »

Thank you, Michael. Your photo "In Flight, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. January, 2011" is one of the most spectacular skyscapes I've ever seen. (aware that it's not a GH2 shot)

Noel Greene

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:16:03 pm »

I recently purchased a GH2 (walked into a photo shop in Geneva, Switzerland) and they had exactly what I wanted. 
However after a weeks testing it is clear that the battery has a very short lifespan compared to the larger DSLR's .. definitely you need to carry a spare. The images are quite good, but I have to say that setting up some of the programmes on the Camera is time consuming.  On the other hand it is a dream to carry around and the flexibility of the 14-140mm is fantastic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up