Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harman Matt FB (Non-Warmtone) Permanence rating?  (Read 1550 times)

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
Harman Matt FB (Non-Warmtone) Permanence rating?
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:58:23 pm »

I have the opportunity to purchase affordably some Harman Matt paper. I generally quite like the way the paper renders my images and have enjoyed working with it in the past on my Z3100. However while I generally plan on utilising it for my own personal and test prints I'm also considering using for print sales. Before I do this though I'd like to be a bit more sure of print permanence possibility. I'm guessing it obviously has a significant amount of OBAs - just wondering if it's the type that will rapidly burn out or the paper has any other archival compromises? Opinions? Thoughts?

I should I know the paper is very delicate. Other than handling issues I'm also keen to start using a protective spray to improve handling? Any recommendations that work well with this matt paper?

Many thanks!
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Harman Matt FB (Non-Warmtone) Permanence rating?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

If you visit Ernst Dinkla's site (http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm ) you can find the spectral plot of this paper.  It appears to have significant OBA but surprisingly more in the paper back than in the coating.  It has not been tested by Aardenburg for light fading so it's unclear what the long term performance is.  Some matte papers (most notably Epson Ultrapremium Presentation Matte) yellow very quickly (matter of months) as the OBAs deteriorate.  There are enough choices of paper without OBAs in them or if they have them in small amounts that the impact on permanency is minimal.  For example Hahnemuhle Photorag has very good fade testing results.  Each paper presents trade offs with regard to cost and performance.

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:34:52 am »

Many thanks!

Just wondering what exactly the OBAs in the paper base rather than the surface will mean practically when watching an image degrade? What would it look like and how is that different from ordinary yellowing?

Also are there any protective sprays that work better with matte papers?

Cheers
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:32:45 am »

The two fiber papers with near identical spectral plots are the Harman FB Gloss qualities and of the two Aardenburg tested the Harman Gloss FB Al 320gsm quite well so far. Paper White included. The other gloss one wasn't tested. I would say there is a good chance the matte variety will do well too.

Medium content FBA says Aardenburg. The papers also have a good addition of normal whitening agents so do not rely that much on the FBA. A higher FBA content in the paper base can serve as a buffer but that construction may be better used for RC papers where the FBA is encapsulated between the PE barriers and so less open to gas fading. The three Harman papers mentioned here have more FBA in the paper coating than in the base. I think Alan made a mistake there.

An example of a Fiber paper that clearly relies on FBA content is the HM Baryta FB 350gsm, it also has a slightly higher FBA content in the base than in the coating.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:02:12 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »

The two fiber papers with near identical spectral plots are the Harman FB Gloss qualities and of the two Aardenburg tested the Harman Gloss FB Al 320gsm quite well so far. Paper White included. The other gloss one wasn't tested. I would say there is a good chance the matte variety will do well too.

Medium content FBA says Aardenburg. The papers also have a good addition of normal whitening agents so do not rely that much on the FBA. A higher FBA content in the paper base can serve as a buffer but that construction may be better used for RC papers where the FBA is encapsulated between the PE barriers and so less open to gas fading. The three Harman papers mentioned here have more FBA in the paper coating than in the base. I think Alan made a mistake there.

An example of a Fiber paper that clearly relies on FBA content is the HM Baryta FB 350gsm, it also has a slightly higher FBA content in the base than in the coating.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
I was only looking at your plot of the Harman Matt FB Warmtone.  You are correct that I misinterpreted the plot but I do not the tremendous spread between the print surface and the backside which is much more reflectant in the 430-460 nm range.

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:33:36 am »

Thanks guys for your help! I decided to go ahead with the paper purchase - and may in turn produce some editions with this work beyond just test runs/personal work
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up