Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extraordinary HP Service  (Read 1279 times)

Dward

Extraordinary HP Service
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:33:20 am »

Most of us have had unhappy service experiences at one time or another (I certainly have!)----and we often post them in forums like this.  For a change, I'd like to describe tech support that went far beyond the merely adequate.    My z3100 exhibited some very weird behavior, refusing to print and showing an intermittent 79:04 error code.  I have an extended warranty on this now-aging machine.    I called HP support and they sent a tech guy, Mr. Anthony Jannini, who, after much work, discovered that my printer had not one but two issues:  it needed a new power supply, but also a new carriage and belt. During the diagnosis of the problems, he sought advice from HP support, who, among other things, advised him to try replacing all the print heads.   I happened to have a spare set on hand.   Replacing the print heads failed to solve the problem---and HP has sent me a new set to replace the ones used in the diagnosis.  Mr. Jannini ordered the carriage and power supply, which arrived the next day, and he returned to install them.  I mentioned to Mr. Jannini that I had occasional marks on glossy prints, and asked if he would send me the starwheel rail with actuator, and the tan rubber pinch roller kit, which he happily agreed to do. 

A few days later, I got an email notification that the parts had been delivered.   However, the parts failed to appear on my porch, as indicated on the UPS site.    The parts were apparently misdelivered by UPS---the usual driver was on vacation that week, and a number of my neighbors also had experiences of lost or misdelivered parcels.   I called HP to notify them of the problem, expecting that they would simply re-send the parts or have UPS locate the misplaced parcel.   Instead, Mr. Jannini drove a new set of parts to my home, a trip that cost him perhaps two hours.   During this process, I received repeated emails from folks at HP notifying me of their efforts to solve the problem.  I was surprised at the degree of sustained attention HP gave to my problem.   

Other than with Apple products and their legendary support, I have never experienced tech support as earnestly attentive as I did from HP and Mr. Jannini.   And this is not the first time I've had especially good service from HP.  I was a very early adopter of the z3100---I got mine the first week they were available.   But the machine misbehaved from the beginning, and after two service visits in the first week of ownership, and with no prompting from me,  HP showed up with a new printer, along with two complete sets of inks and a set of print heads in compensation for my inconvenience.    In my book, HP service has been as good as it gets.

I realize that others have had different and sometimes less happy experiences, but I thought that, well, when a company and its employees do something good, they ought to get credit, just as they get the blame when things go awry.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Farmer

Re: Extraordinary HP Service
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »

Excellent story - thanks for sharing!
Phil Brown

deanwork

Re: Extraordinary HP Service
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:05:19 pm »

I've had the same kind of good things to say about HP tech support. My guy was super good and fast.

Over 4 years they have been out here 3 times, and in all cases they were here within 12 hours and in every case restored me to printing within 2 hours max, usually 1 hour or less. Then they followed up with phone calls and emails for 2 days making sure I was totally satisfied. They also want me to answer questions about the level of competence of the repair tech. They won't cancel your case unless you tell them you are totally satisfied. Both of the two techs were really nice well trained people.

I have to say that my primary reason for being afraid of HP in the beginning was the support factor. I've been pleasantly surprised in that regard. I just renewed another year on my service contract for $780.00. My only comment about all this is that if you are out of warranty you will most likely be screwed and spend more than the printer is worth. If you are in warranty they'll come over and pop in whatever needs to be replaced. In my experience in all cases when image quality was effected it was always the problem of an out of date print head in one of the 6 slots. So that would always be the first thing I would try before calling anyone, and clean the bottom of those heads at least every 6 months with a damp lint free cloth. Cean the cap station and wiper blade regularly.The HP warranty is about twice as good as their competition and pays for anything and everything you need. At least that is my experience, near a large urban area.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up