Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about papers for fine art digital printing  (Read 1746 times)

Sugandie

Questions about papers for fine art digital printing
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:24:37 am »

Hi!
We are two students studying graphic design at the University of Dalarna in Sweden, who are now
doing a research about papers used for digital fine art printing.
We are trying to summarize the diffrerent aspects of paper (and inks) used for this printing method. And it seems to us, that this is a good forum, with very knowledgeable people, to ask questions!

We would be very grateful if you can take the time, and tell us about, for example, the criteria that applys to the paper. And which coating your prefer, and why that is etc. And if you know any links that can provide us with more information about this matter, it would be great!

Thank you!

Best regards
Sara Karlsson & Michael Nilsson

Sven W

Re: Questions about papers for fine art digital printing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:05:24 am »

Contact me with a personal message, I'm only 300 km away.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:35:36 pm »

Hi Sara and Michael,

I do a significant amount of fine art printing in my work, feel free to contact me through my website and I will answer whatever I can.

www.dermotcleary.com
DC

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:20 am »

Sara and Michael,

There is some information on my website showing how several popular papers respond to the Epson K3 inks in my Epson 3800.  In the technical section there is an explanation of my testing method, which you can do yourself, to compare ink response between papers of similar types.  Even if you don't own a spectrometer, the differences are often easily seen.  Go to this website, http://www.dygartphotography.com and navigate to the technical section.  There are numerous charts.  Be sure to read the comments, as some are examples of what not to do.  Other important criteria are aesthetic (some images are better on different types of paper than others) and image stability.  My website has a link to one of the websites that address the latter issue.

Good luck,

Aaron
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:58:50 am by AaronPhotog »
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

milt

• Striking & Distinctive Custom Photographic Prints
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:08 am »

Look on this forum (or the color management forum) for a post by Ernst Dinkla and click on the link in his signature.

--Milt--
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:15:18 am by milt »
Los Gatos, California | http://miltonbarber.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up