Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishermen's Shelter  (Read 2693 times)

seamus finn

Fishermen's Shelter
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:59 am »

This abandoned cottage is used as a shelter by fishermen on Church Island, Lough Gill, Sligo, Ireland. For anybody interested, it was shot on Kodak Infra Red film with deep red filter and processed in ID Eleven. A sepia toned print version has been very popular locally. I thought I'd stisck to a b/w version here.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:10:55 am by seamus finn »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Fishermen's Shelter
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

I like the fact that you show us some of the context and not just the shelter. That adds considerably to the mood of the image.

Very nice!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:29:59 am »

Overall I like the shot. I probably would have gone in a little tighter on the shack and used a wider lens so there was a little less foreground foliage, and a little more emphasis on those interesting trees in front of it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »

Overall I like the shot. I probably would have gone in a little tighter on the shack and used a wider lens so there was a little less foreground foliage, and a little more emphasis on those interesting trees in front of it.

I agree.  Still, well done as is.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 01:43:25 pm »

I don't agree. I like the off-in-the-distance aspect of the shot. One's first reaction to this kind of thing almost always is to focus on the central object itself to the exclusion of its setting. I'm just as prone to that as anyone. Sometimes I have to catch myself and back off. I think Eric's right: this is a case where the wabi sabi beauty of the shack is enhanced by its overgrown surroundings.

Great shot, Seamus. And as usual, the mid-tones are beautifully preserved.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

donaldt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »

i think its beautiful
like a painting almost

seamus finn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »

Thanks all, much appreciated.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:01:39 am »

Very nice, I like it, a lot; very nice composition and light. But what really strikes me is how you manage to focus the viewer on the shelter, among all those trees with their branches and leaves; a very crowded scene, but a very clean message. Impressive.

If I could change something, on the other hand, I would clone-out the white disk under the center window: it is, in my humble opinion, very bright and grabs too much attention.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22:17 am »

I would really love to see the full res of this image...I can't say I agree aboout removing the  sharpening stone(?)millstone (?) without seeing the larger, because there is a wonderful depth and third dimension at work here...for instance the hint of something, someone in window on right, and the wanting to believe their is someone paused just inside that partially open door that we might give just a touch more luminosity, while perhaps softening the stone in golden mean area...the volume and space continuing into and beyond the cottage to enclosing trees definitely makes me feel I'd like to explore...so, Seamus...I really hope you have a wonderful large file of this as I can see many happy hours carefully bringing out the sensuality and lovely feeling of story...Agree with everyone....I'd like this to be mine...
A common woman~

seamus finn

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:14 pm »

Thanks Patricia. Yes, I have a pretty decent file and I've also spent many happy hours in the darkroom sepia toning the print for an exhibition and subsequent sales. The image was shot with Kodak IR film - not great for detail because of the coarse grain. The idea was to give the foliage a ghostly feel as there was some good sunshine coming through the trees into the sheltered little clearing.As you know, IR film turns green foliage white in bright sunlight.

Some background detail: the location is Lough Gill, Sligo, Ireland, where four young men lost theirs lives in a boating accident on January 2nd, 1984, among them two brothers and a member of the Irish Army. I have to admit I was thinking about them as I set up my tripod and took the shot.

The lake has been made famous world wide by the Nobel Prize winning poet W. B. Yeats ('Lake Isle of Innisfree'):

'I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the mourning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.'

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:37:44 pm by seamus finn »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »

Seamus...thank you so much for taking the time with the back story...for me it did immediately resonate with deeper story lingering...I am happy for you on this.. I would be sorely tempted to return oft and lie for hours in many changes of light and weather and hope to hear yet more in the evening breeze....
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up