Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "GH2 revisited" report  (Read 9986 times)

BJL

Re: The "GH2 revisited" report
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:30 am »

They had an awful year financially by any metric - or more accurately, Olympus's consumer imaging division did.
As far as I know, the great majority of sales for Olympus Imaging are still mainstream compacts, with 4/3 + m4/3 still a lower volume, higher margin part of the business. So allowing for the well-known declining sales of Olympus compacts (and presumably 4/3 SLR products too) what do we know about Olympus Micro Four Thirds? Are there any breakdowns by product category or analysts estimates on that?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 12:11:03 pm »

As far as I know, the great majority of sales for Olympus Imaging are still mainstream compacts, with 4/3 + m4/3 still a lower volume, higher margin part of the business. So allowing for the well-known declining sales of Olympus compacts (and presumably 4/3 SLR products too) what do we know about Olympus Micro Four Thirds? Are there any breakdowns by product category or analysts estimates on that?

Not AFAIK, only spot metrics from certain markets (mainly Japan), and proprietary market research reports which cost $$$.

It doesn't matter, though: even if Olympus 4/3 and MFTs are doing well, it's the overall performance of the business unit which matters. I doubt it's feasible to spin off only the compacts business - although downscaling or getting rid of it altogether might be possible.

Even then, a sub-segment doesn't exist in a vacuum: high-volume low-margin products can be (and often are) complimentary to low-volume high-margin products in many ways. Economies of scale and marketing halo effect from high-volume products can be exploited with the low-volume products.

fredjeang

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:35 pm »

Well, I hope it's not going to be another Contax story. It would be indeed sad to see Oly out of the game.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up