Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab New Lasal Luster 300gsm  (Read 10493 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Moab New Lasal Luster 300gsm
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:53:28 pm »

It seems the new papers just keep coming...
http://moabpaper.com/blog/2011/2/17/new-lasal-exhibition-luster-300.html

Edit - Have picked up a cut sheet of this new paper while I was picking up some more of my regular paper this afternoon. It looks a lot like Ilford Smooth Pearl in terms of 'sheen' and 'stipple'. Will do a few prints on it tonight. For an RC paper it does have quite a weight to it and the stipple/tooth is nice (at least to my eyes).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:31:39 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

Re: Moab New Lasal Luster 300gsm
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:30:50 am »

I should also add - that after doing a side by side comparison that Ilford smooth pearl is actually a shade or two warmer than this new Moab Lasal exhibition paper; which should tell you just how brilliantly white this new Moab paper actually is. Its not as 'blue' as the Harman Gloss FB AL; but its a seriously white paper.

I'm just going to have some dinner and then make a few prints  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:07:54 am »

Based on what you write about the texture, its 300 gsm weight and (my measured) similar spectral plots for the 265 gsm (older) Lasal Luster and Canon Glacier Photo Quality Paper 300 gsm (texture like Ilford IGSP11), I guess it could be a clone of the Canon Glacier.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Josh-H

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:25:02 am »

I am not familiar with the Canon Glacier and have not tried the previous lasal luster from Moab so I cant comment on wether its the same paper. I doubt it though as my source (my paper supplier) tells me its actually a paper that was OEM'd by an Australian (Giclee Media) and taken by Moab and re-branded for the American market (which would not surprise me). I am told it sold and continues to sell in Australia as Lasal Professional Alpine Pearl. See Here http://gicleemedia.com.au/gms43/Moab-Lasal-Professional-Alpine-Pearl-Photo-Paper-300/ This paper is made in the US for the Australian market.

I should add that this comes straight from the horses mouth - as in I buy my paper from GicleeMedia and was told this today when picking up the paper.

The paper industry is so incestuous with manufacturers taking each others papers and rebranding that it can be very difficult to get to the bottom of what paper is the same as the next under a different name. Looking at the Alpine  Pearl it meets all the specs of the Moab Lasal Exhibition; combined with my source pretty much confirms for me its the same paper.The fact they (GicleeMedia) have added the word Moab to their description of the Alpine Pearl speaks volumes to different naming for different countries.

Regardless of all that nonsense -

I have now made a couple of test prints on the new Lasal Exhibition Luster or Alpine Pearl  ;D(referred to hereafter as LEL) and I quite like it. I wouldn't say its game changing; but its the best RC paper I have tried (I should add I have not tried a huge number). You get everything you would expect from a high quality RC paper - great Dmax, very sharp, strong color and I do like the stipple and relfectivity characteristics. Comparing against the ilford smooth pearl again I prefer the heavier weight and slightly less plasticky feel of the LEL. The LEL also appears to have the better Dmax and deeper more saturated color; but I have not a spectro to hand to confirm what my eyes tell me.

I cant comment more than this at present as I dont have any more of it to continue to print on to make meaningful comparisons against other papers. I will probably order a box or two next week and make a custom profile and do more extensive testing based on the first results I have seen. Its good enough to warrant more effort and investigation for me.

Edit - Forgot to add -Im printing with a Canon IPF 6350 at present.

Also - this LEL paper appears very scuff and scratch resistant. It passes the fingernail test without a problem. All the Bayta papers I have tried most definitely do not.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:30:33 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:00:23 am »

Edit - Forgot to add -Im printing with a Canon IPF 6350 at present.

I presume that with that printer a Canon paper swatchbook was included. Could you just look at the Canon Glacier + the new Moab? If there is a significant different look I will throw that guess in the bin right away.

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:19 am »

This paper has OBAs, correct?  Of all the RC papers out there I still come back to Ilford GFS since its spectral response is so even and it gives good blacks and color rendition (plus it's great value for the money).

narikin

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:42 am »

I presume that with that printer a Canon paper swatchbook was included. Could you just look at the Canon Glacier + the new Moab? If there is a significant different look I will throw that guess in the bin right away.

I have the Canon swatchbook in front of me Ernst, and sadly in the US naming system there isn't a 'Glacier' paper. The US name I'd guess at is 'Heavyweight Glossy Photographic Paper' which is 300GSM,  and its 'Heavyweight Satin Photographic Paper' twin.

alas I don't have LAL to compare them visually. but if it turns out they are one and same, I will be using the cheaper Canon for sure.

Aristoc

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:34 am »

Any images of the paper with light shining on it to see what it looks like? :D Is it like Epson EF?

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:28:50 am »

Hey guys, I do the ICC profile work for Moab Paper, and although I am not in the loop with the product guys, I do know that this is a totally new paper that is not being OEM'd from somebody else.

I have just finished creating profiles for the 3800, 3880, 4900, Canon 8300 and Epson 7600, and I do think it is a wonderful paper. I have a 44" roll here in my studio, and I just printed off ten 24x36" images from a friend of mine, and I am really impressed with the paper. 300gsm is a nice weight, for sure, as I don't get kinks in the paper if I a little rough with the handling.

Keep in mind that I am a 3rd party consultant to them, so I won't be able to answer many questions as to the actual product itself, but I just thought I would chime in with a few anecdotes.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Aristoc

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:41:54 am »

I noticed 50 sheets are selling for only $90 ? That's half of what EEF is selling for.

abiggs

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:43:37 am »

I noticed 50 sheets are selling for only $90 ? That's half of what EEF is selling for.

Moab Exhibition Luster isn't a fiber paper, though. It is a traditional surface (RC) paper.
Andy Biggs

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »

Thanks Andy for adding you informed information on this paper.

Given you are making the profiles for it for Moab can you advise when the profile will be available for the Canon 6350/6300? I see its already on Moabs website for the 8300.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

abiggs

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »

Josh, the 8300 profile will work the same on the 6300, and all that is needed is for me to do a quick renaming of the profile at some point. Feel free to use the 8300 profile for now, though, as it doesn't make a quality difference.
Andy Biggs

Josh-H

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:37 pm »

Ta - I figured as much. Same ink set and print heads.

Im out of the paper now unfortunately (I only had a few feet of 17" off a roll) but I already agree with your thoughts and comments on this paper. It is great to work with, its robust, its weight is good and I like the results.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:24 pm »

I have just finished creating profiles for the 3800, 3880, 4900, Canon 8300 and Epson 7600, and I do think it is a wonderful paper....

Hello Andy Biggs,
Are you also doing a profile for the HP z3100..3200  printers.. ?
and how does it work with the gloss enhancer?
regards,

Pieter Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

abiggs

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 06:27:54 pm »

Pieter, I do have a Z3200, however I have found that there is no need for us to create profiles, as these printers do a great job creating profiles themselves. I do plan on working with the paper on my Z3200, and will be happy to report back with my findings as to which paper is the best to begin with as a media type.
Andy Biggs

MHMG

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:24 pm »

This paper has OBAs, correct?  Of all the RC papers out there I still come back to Ilford GFS since its spectral response is so even and it gives good blacks and color rendition (plus it's great value for the money).

Hi Alan, by Ilford GFS I think you mean Ilford Gold Fibre Silk?  If so, GFS is not an RC paper (no PE sub layer AFAIK). GFS falls more into the category of "traditional fiber base" paper, even though it does have a rather pronounced anti-curl layer on the back (as does Canson Baryta photographique) which has never been a characteristic of classic  fiber-base darkroom photographic papers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:32:33 pm by MHMG »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 08:32:03 am »

Hi Alan, by Ilford GFS I think you mean Ilford Gold Fibre Silk?  If so, GFS is not an RC paper (no PE sub layer AFAIK). GFS falls more into the category of "traditional fiber base" paper, even though it does have a rather pronounced anti-curl layer on the back (as does Canson Baryta photographique) which has never been a characteristic of classic  fiber-base darkroom photographic papers.

Yes and thanks for the clarification. 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 09:37:51 am »

I do know that this is a totally new paper that is not being OEM'd from somebody else.

I had the route "to somebody else" in mind. Moab's parent Legion papers is large enough for that. I doubt any of the printer manufacturers is actually making their own papers. More likely they have a description on what it should be like and an intake control on the papers delivered to them.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:46:43 am by Ernst Dinkla »

narikin

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:11 am »

well, just fancy that: Ilford GFS and Canson Baryta Photographique have the same anti curl layer on the back.  Who would have guessed.  Next you'll be telling me they plot identically on Ernst's Spectrum Viz... ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up