Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cottesloe Panoramas  (Read 1612 times)

Dylfish

Cottesloe Panoramas
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:11 am »

Hey Guys,

First post here! My Names Dylan and im from Perth, Western Australia.

I received my new 5dmk2 last week and this was my first proper test with it. The shots were taken with a storm heading from inland toward the sea. Lens used was a Sigma 24-70 2.8 Macro.

Any comments please dont hesitate, I'm here to improve!

Cheers.

They Obviously have lost a bit of detail since they have been resized so small. but you get the general idea.

francois

Re: Cottesloe Panoramas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:12:15 am »

Very nice shots!
I especially like the first one, looks like a quiet Sunday afternoon at the beach.
The second one is more classic but the placement of the sun and the clouds are well positione to produce a lovely image.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Francois

Dylfish

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:48:29 am »

cheers mate,

is there any criticism that would could give to help me improve the shots?

thanks!

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:48:49 am »

Dylan, I'll have a go.

You have nice lighting in both images. Certainly an important part of any image.

In the first image, there's no real subject. Possibly the building. When you look at an image, if you find your eye wandering all over looking for a place to land, you have a problem. Your eye should naturally find its way to the main subject. Even better if it is led there with a "leading line" like a fence, stream, etc (obviously depends on subject matter).  In this image there are just a bunch of disparate elements.

In the second image, well, it's just a sunset. In order to elevate a sunset image to something special, you need more to work with than what nature is giving you, and your choice of composition here. If there was an unbelievable sky, you'd have something.  With just flat water in the foreground, that isn't helping you either. Some strong element in the foreground would add a lot. A pier maybe.

Keep shooting, mate. You have an eye for lighting, and some great gear. Find images you like on the web, and then figure out what makes that image appeal to you, and work that into your own shooting.

Hope this helps!
Bob
 ht

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:45:01 pm »

Hi Dylfish,

#1: I like the line of the beach that arcs across to the bright pavilion against the dark sky. But then the horizon to the left seems to bend down a bit which I find a little unsettling.

Scott

Dylfish

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:21 am »

Hey Guys/Gals,

Thanks for your CC. I think when I go out I forget to do certain things and its a matter or getting it going as a logical process in my head. for example in that first one I took the shot of the building using the rule of thirds but then I decided to cahne it into the panorama using other shots I had.   ::)

thanks for all your input
Pages: [1]   Go Up