Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travelling To Cuba  (Read 1638 times)

canonman5d

Travelling To Cuba
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:24:51 am »

I have booked my vacation to Cuba, where I will be staying at a resort for the first time. I would like to know if it is safe to bring my camera gear?

Clive Carpenter

Re: Travelling To Cuba
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:53 am »

I was on a workshop with Charlie Waite in 2009 for about 10 days.  No problem at all.  Perfectly safe and I shot in the streets, after hours and in every possible circumstance.  Great people.  Very friendly and helpful.

You'll have a great time, but try and get away from the resort and visit Havana.  You won't be sorry.

Clive

tokengirl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05:39 am »

My Better Half has been several times to visit family, and feels totally comfortable and safe.  Now, keep in mind that he is not the photographer in this household, so I sent him off with a Canon G10 set on Full Idiot Mode, and I was prepared to handle all the post processing upon his return.  He came back from his first trip with hundreds of photos that he took through the car window, and they all had a nice reflection of his mint green shirt in them.  So I gently explained to him why this was a problem and he took my advice to heart.  On his next trip, he remembered what we talked about, and rolled down the car window.  This trip produced a whole slew of self portraits like this one.  ;D

He did manage to get out of the car at certain times, and with a little effort in post processing, there were some real gems.

And my personal favorite:

So, if you're uncomfortable with the idea of lugging a lot of expensive gear, don't be afraid of a quality point & shoot camera.  It can and will get the job done.

Also, to echo what Clive said, get out of the resort.  Get out of the city too.  There is much to see throughout the country.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 01:22:02 pm »

Hey, FIMode is a pretty effective setting! Can such a one be found on all cameras?

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up