Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa STC Review  (Read 4987 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Alpa STC Review
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »

Thank you for the STC review and luscious subject matter.  I think the STC fits just right into what I am looking for.  Light, precise and some movement capability, albeit limited.

In a previous discussion, I was wondering about a tripod mount on the STC handle, and Mark pointed out it might be less cumbersome to remove and rotate the back vs. rotating the whole camera assembly.  Mark, do you still feel that way for portrait images?  Also, the "new wake up cable" has me a little confused.  I think Mark is referring to this:  Alpa Sync Release.  Could someone explain how that works with the cable release?

Dave

david_duffin

Re: Alpa STC Review
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:02:04 pm »

+1

It might be easiest to get a couple of plates -- keep one on the side as well -- I don't think this would interfere with the shift movement...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:13:36 pm by david_duffin »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:23:23 pm »

Actually it does interfere with the left side.  The shift movement goes outside the body to the left.  I have not yet found a plate that is small enough to mount without interfering on the left (there is only about 10mm or so of space).  So the "portrait" mount for rise and fall action must be done on the right hand grip which obviously does not get in the way.

Dave

+1

It might be easiest to get a couple of plates -- keep one on the side as well -- I don't think this would interfere with the shift movement...

david_duffin

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:11 pm »

Dave, I've looked at the Alpa shutter release referenced by the link you provided.  I'd personally be nervous that it would cause excess vibration, and that a cable release would be less likely to do so, but must admit that I have never used a release directly attached to the lens in that fashion..it would certainly be more convenient...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:15:27 pm by david_duffin »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »

That's one of the reasons I'm confused.  I interpreted what is on the site to mean you could use it with an extended cable release as well.

Dave

Graham Welland

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:45 pm »

The new shutter release does support the use of a cable release. The images are pretty clear here:
http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/alpa-sync-solutions/alpa-sync-release.html

I mounted a RRS BPNS-S plate on the handle side of my STC for rise/fall use. For single shot portrait shooting without movements you need only rotate the back into portrait mode. No need for any other movements or adjustments.
Graham

schaubild

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »

Very nice sounding review.
Are there any user reports about the new HPF rings? They look promising, fast and precise focusing without the hassle of additional tables or calculators.....

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 04:18:43 pm »

Jurgen is using them and reports very positively.  See his comments in a getDPI thread here.

Dave

Very nice sounding review.
Are there any user reports about the new HPF rings? They look promising, fast and precise focusing without the hassle of additional tables or calculators.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up