Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shooting d700 Aperture priority with singh ray vari-n-duo  (Read 2528 times)

owenpga

shooting d700 Aperture priority with singh ray vari-n-duo
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:23 pm »

hello,
trying to understand how to shoot with singh ray vari-n-duo in aperture priority on d700.

current problem is underexposed images.
if i shoot in ap priority with filter set to lowest nd (2 2/3) my image comes out exposed correctly. when i start to crank up the filter let say half way the image is now a little darker. at full 8 stop is almost black.
in aperture priority i would assume the camera would see the amount of darkness on the filter and adjust the shutter to make correct exposure. Its not. Could someone please enlighten me on their method of using this filter. thanks

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Re: shooting d700 Aperture priority with singh ray vari-n-duo
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:04 pm »

I have the same setup as you, so hopefully this helps.  To get right to the point, ou can't shoot that way.  The light meter does not work very well when you're dialed in on 8 stops.  I only shoot in Manual mode when using my Vari-N-Duo.  Here's my procedure:  set the filter to the minimum (2-2/3 stops).  Meter the shot and manually focus.  Dial in the maximum setting (8 stops), then add exposure with your rear control dial.  Mine is set for 1/3 Stop increments, so every 3 clicks is one more stop of exposure.  If you go over 30 seconds, you will have to set it to Bulb and time your exposure.  I use the MC-36 remote, which has a built-in timer, which comes in very handy.

Anyway, that's how I do it.  I hope this helps.

owenpga

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:19:29 pm »

Jason,
thanks for reply. manual was the only way i could get the best exposure. i though i would be able to shoot in ap priority as this is the method i use most often. thanks again, owen

raysem

• http://www.raysemenoffphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:59 pm »

I find thay you cannot use matrix metering with almost ANY kind of filter on the D700 - the light meter goes "stupid".

Try using spot or centre-wieghtd metering - you may have more success.

I use manual metering almost all of the time.  Always in manual with filters on.

-- Ray --

Photographing the world at 53 degrees north.
http://www.raysemenoffphotography.com

owenpga

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:50:55 pm »

thanks for the replies. looking forward to getting out and testing it. owen
Pages: [1]   Go Up