Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two from the wharf  (Read 2339 times)

candide

Two from the wharf
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:31:03 am »

For your comments--a couple of recent shots from the wharf area around the S.F. Ferry Building. Thank you.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Two from the wharf
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

The first one's interesting, but I'd be tempted to blur out the background from the right edge (beyond where the pier makes a right turn) as I think it would add to the feeling of being 'lost in the mist'. 

The second one has a real feeling of desolation, except for the juvenile gull on the lamp post.

Overall, well done.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:22 pm »

The first one's interesting, but I'd be tempted to blur out the background from the right edge (beyond where the pier makes a right turn) as I think it would add to the feeling of being 'lost in the mist'. 

The second one has a real feeling of desolation, except for the juvenile gull on the lamp post.

Overall, well done.

Mike.
I agree.

(Leave it to Mike to note that the gull is a juvie -- the spots give the clue.)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »

You see, Candide?

Never listen to anyone else (including moi - especially moi), but I think the gull makes it. Young, or ancient as mariners (they all look the same to me), it's the juxtaposition between fresh life and an ancient death. Some would rent smoke by the dollars to get what you got.

;-)

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »

Hey Rob - everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong they may be!   ;D

I've said it before - if you're shooting for a client, the client gets to decide what the image looks like.  If you're shooting for yourself, you get to decide what the image looks like... but I've learned a lot from considering others' opinions.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

candide

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »

You see, Candide?

Never listen to anyone else (including moi - especially moi), but I think the gull makes it. Young, or ancient as mariners (they all look the same to me), it's the juxtaposition between fresh life and an ancient death. Some would rent smoke by the dollars to get what you got.

;-)

Rob C

Yes, I think having the gull in the shot definitely helps. I was hoping an actual person might happen by, but my only companion was the bird. But I thought it was pretty cool that he let me walk right up to him and shoot.

As for the other shot of the boardwalk, I thought about having the right side disappear more into the mist, but then I thought it might force me to crop some off the right side, thereby changing the aspect ratio. I wasn't keen to do that. But I might go back and play with it some more just to see.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:42:27 pm by candide »

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »

Yes, I think having the gull in the shot definitely helps. I was hoping an actual person might happen by, but my only companion was the bird. But I thought it was pretty cool that he let me walk right up to him and shoot.

That's one benefit of a tripod and delayed action: saves model money. Unless you charge yourself - an interesting proposition for your accountant.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »

Hey Rob - everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong they may be!   ;D

I've said it before - if you're shooting for a client, the client gets to decide what the image looks like.  If you're shooting for yourself, you get to decide what the image looks like... but I've learned a lot from considering others' opinions.Mike.

So have I, Mike; to trust my own.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:02 am »

That's one benefit of a tripod and delayed action: saves model money. Unless you charge yourself - an interesting proposition for your accountant.
Reminds me of the chap who tried to claim income tax as an allowable expense, since it was wholly and necessarily (in order to avoid a period as one of Her Majesty's guests) incurred in the pursuit of his business.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up