Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendations for budget color calibration  (Read 6260 times)

kbernau

recommendations for budget color calibration
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:50:17 am »

Hello everyone, I've read a number of posts with great interest but haven't found something that really matches what I am looking for. I would value your (impressively expert-looking) advice.

I run a small graphic design studio; we produce printed matter, mostly books for the art sector, and work with rather high-end print shops for that. We don't do prepress-style lithography, only what I would like to call "creative image tweaking", i.e. "oh the shadows here look kinda dark let's just fix that" style of things; final lithography is always done at the printer (CMYK conversion with per-paper, per-print-screen profiles, neutral grey balancing, UCR, GCR and whatnot), where one would assume they have the know-how and technology. They make us GMG or other color-accurate proofs, and often we additionally do press proofs.

I guess we would simply like to be more certain that what we're seeing has some resemblance with "the truth", or the final result and need (budget) monitor calibration for that. We've got one iMac workstation (and secondary panel monitor), one Mac with an aging 23" Cinema HD (and secondary panel monitor), and two Macbook Pro mobile workstations. Screens may get replaced of course, the Cinema HD is oldest and it might become a Dell 2711 or a NEC 271 (or whatever is nice and not glossy, really), but not in the near future. We have an Epson 2100 inkjet that, honestly, we hardly ever use, but probably would sometimes if we could get it to produce somewhat predictable output.

On the one hand it would be good to have the different stations somewhat in sync, but maybe I'd be more comfortable to just have each of them to close to "the truth" as possible, if the alternative is to compromise the display on the best screens.

So what I would like to know is basically what color calibration thingy to get; I understand that many of you have 3rd party hardware. While it's cool to have that option in the future (I see that this Basiccolor software doesn't exactly cost an arm and a leg), I'd hope to make do with the included software for the foreseeable future. I'd like to spend €350 or less. Much less, ideally :-)

I've looked at the i1 Display, of which there are wonderfully many versions, the differences of which are a mystery to me. And apparently the whole i1 line is in the process of being refreshed with a completely new, different software?
I've looked at the Spyder 3 Elite which seems to be pretty good too but I've not found as much info about them.
Just now I found the Basiccolor Squid which seems a bit pricey if I need three additional software licenses (seriously guys)

None of the above includes software that can also calibrate inkjet printers, right?

I thought the Colormunki offered a pretty sweet amount of functionality (printer calibration) but is it just me or is the software really targeted at idiots? I may not currently know a lot oabout all this stuff but really, nothing annoys me more than software that doesn't allow me in-depth interaction when I want it. I mean, just look at the explanatory movies on the website! Can anyone here stand up for the poor Munki and say "no actually it's fine, and all you'll ever need?".

Many thanks foryour input
Kai

PhilipCummins

Re: recommendations for budget color calibration
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:43:53 am »

I thought the Colormunki offered a pretty sweet amount of functionality (printer calibration) but is it just me or is the software really targeted at idiots? Can anyone here stand up for the poor Munki and say "no actually it's fine, and all you'll ever need?".

That depends, I find the ColorMunki Photo software adequate for calibrating all monitors, if you get the ColorMunki Photo you also get an unlimited seat license so you are clear to use it on every bit of equipment you own (useful, since you need to run the software on each computer). The only place ColorMunki is a bit weak is on the printer profiles as you don't get options for 500+ patch profile generation, however if you want to tweak printer profiles you're better off with the i1 or Spyder3Studio solutions. IMHO if you just want to calibrate all the monitors with some printer profiling options for later the ColorMunki Photo (-not- Design) is the way to go in your budget. The monitor profiling is smooth and straight-forward, which sounds like what you want. If you were really keen you could get the Argyll CMS software, this is able to use the ColorMunki Photo as a spectrophotometer with all the options (however, it's via command line).

martinreed22

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:19 am »

I'd like to second use of Colormunki. I went through a couple of generations of Spyder products, hitting problems with both (wide gamut) screen calibration and print profiling. Switched to CM, now a very happy camper.

I use it in both Mac and PC camps, with a variety of displays. I've found the print profiling amazingly good considering how it is done.

Regards, Martin

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:20 am »

I've used ColorMunki for both printer and monitor calibration and find it works fine.  Even though it uses far fewer patches for printer calibration than other solutions, the software allows you to tweak things so that you will get fine prints every time. 

kbernau

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:58:56 am »

Hi all,

thanks for the quick replies. Printer calibration is actually not critical for me at this point, we barely use the color printer; it's just nice to have the option in the future.

Thing I'm afraid of with the CM is to be "held back" by the software. I don't currently know what would be the benefit of a more "high end" software, but I have the feeling that if I find out, I'd hate if an apparently decent device were held back by that. And it certainly doesn't look like any 3rd party software company was supporting the Munki, amirite?

Thanks
Kai

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:29:22 am »

Thing I'm afraid of with the CM is to be "held back" by the software. I don't currently know what would be the benefit of a more "high end" software, but I have the feeling that if I find out, I'd hate if an apparently decent device were held back by that. And it certainly doesn't look like any 3rd party software company was supporting the Munki, amirite?

Thanks
Kai
I have a NEC P-221 and use their SpectraView software for calibration.  ColorMunki works with this just as well as the dedicated puck that comes with the package.  I don't know if X-Rite developed the SpectraView software or not.  I have found that this package is easy to use, gives a reliable calibration and the price was right.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:37:12 am »

Take ColorMunki - and if you'll ever feel offended or limited by the included software, use mighty ArgyllCMS with its countless options and functions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:00:36 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

howardm

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »

BasicColor Display (basiccolor.de) fully supports the Munki and the hardware LUTs of NEC displays.  In fact, the European version of Spectraview software is simply rebranded BasicColor Display software.

kbernau

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:46 pm »

Ok, I also received a reply from Basiccolor that their Display software does support the Munki. Oh and then they said I should rather than a Munki get some other pack of things that summed up to €1300 plus VAT. hahaha.

So noone here arguing for a i1 Display 2 or a Spyder 3 Elite (which I guess I can upgrade to the Studio package if I want to calibrate printers?)?

Thanks
Kai

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:49 pm »

i1d2 and Spyder3 are only chepeo colorimeters for display calibration. There's no way to use them for printer profiling, and they don't always work that great with modern LED or WG CCFL LCD displays.

ColorMunki is the best solution for its versality - the spectrophotometer can calibrate and profile virtually any output device, it's supported by NEC/basICColor, EIZO and Quato display profilers, and also by - as powerful as free - Argyll CMS profiler.

There's no better solution for someone on limited budget, who needs it for serious applications.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:15:39 pm by Czornyj »

howardm

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

the Munki works fine.  They apparently were trying to sell you their DISCUS which is a $1200 USD spectrometer.

I got the Munki when it was on sale at Amazon and that sale price payed for the BasicColor Display sw

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:04 pm »

the Munki works fine.  They apparently were trying to sell you their DISCUS which is a $1200 USD spectrometer.

I got the Munki when it was on sale at Amazon and that sale price payed for the BasicColor Display sw

DISCUS is not a spectrophotometer - it's a high end colorimeter for display calibration.

kbernau

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:12 am »

Ok, so I ordered a colormunki. Let's see how it goes, i'm actually quite excited to have this kind of equipment.

Thank y'all very much for your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up