Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cactus V5 on the RZ67  (Read 1342 times)

bpepz

Cactus V5 on the RZ67
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:32:46 am »

I've been using the older Cactus V2 wireless flash triggers on my RZ67 for a while now with no problems. All my flashes would sync at 1/400th at every power setting. Only problem was the V2's had a terrible working range. So when I heard about the V5's and their drastically improved working distance I immediately bought 4 of them. Boy was that a mistake.....

They will not sync at any speed, it does not matter if it is 1/400 or 2 seconds,  90% of the time it will not catch the flash. Even if it does catch it, it only catches a small slice of the flash duration.  I am pretty sure this is correct becuase at really high power on my canon speed lights it "catches" most of the flash, the flash duration is much longer at full power. I did the same thing on my alien bees but put them to the lowest power, and the same thing happened. When I started using the alien bees near full power, or the canon speed lights at a really low power, it would only sync partially maybe 1 out of 40 shots, so pretty terrible.

I tested this on my canon 7d, and had none of these problems, for what ever reason the V5s have a hard time with the RZ67, and let me state again, the V5s were not syncing at ANY shutter speed I set the RZ67 to. I just think its odd that it works fine on the 7d but not the rz, and even weirder, the older "inferior" V2s had no problem syncing to my RZ67

If anyone here has a similar experience or knows a solution I would be happy to hear it. If not, atleast this could be a cautionary tale for other considering a similar setup.

-----Oh yeah, almost forgot, I tested this on 5 different lenses and two different rz67 bodies, so I am pretty it has nothing to do with a defective shutter or x-sync problem

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:39:38 am by bpepz »

bpepz

Re: Cactus V5 on the RZ67
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:29 am »

Ok, I feel kind of stupid now. I always used flash triggers on my rz on the hot shoe, well, I tried using the flash port on my leaf aptus back, EUREKA!! we have a success! It syncs perfectly now at every setting with no variation. I hope this info can help someone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up