Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on Canon 45TSE  (Read 3954 times)

NigelC

Opinions on Canon 45TSE
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:06:56 am »

In process of weighing up between 24TSE and Zeiss 21 for landscape/buildings (wish I could afford both!), quickly realised 24 tilted was too wide for product photography, which I thought might be a 3rd application. If I get some work in this field, 90mm is too long and duplicated my 100 macro, but 45mm might be ideal, with 12mm extension tube increasing applications. But is it in the same league as the 17,24II @90?

adammork

Re: Opinions on Canon 45TSE
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:51:31 am »

But is it in the same league as the 17,24II @90?

Not even close! - it's kind of sharp but it suffers from a lot of ugly CA - my assistant, who is processing most of my images, keep telling me, please forget that lens on the next hotel...   drop it on the floor from up high......  ;)

/adam

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:28 am »

Not even close! - it's kind of sharp but it suffers from a lot of ugly CA - my assistant, who is processing most of my images, keep telling me, please forget that lens on the next hotel...   drop it on the floor from up high......  ;)

While I agree that the TS-E 45mm exhibits CA, the lens is very (not just kind of) sharp.

The CA can be reduced by post-processing very well, it's just that most Raw converters are not specifically equipped to deal with shifts. Therefore, one needs do do a bit of homework once for the apertures that are used most, and make notes about the amount of shift and rotation angle used in the actual shots to quickly find the correct position in the extended image circle for post-processing. Once the image is pasted and positioned as a layer on a larger canvas, the generic CA correction methods will usually work fine.

Of course there can be scenarios with extreme adjustments in both shift and tilt which can be challenging to correct. In those cases one would love to have a new 45mm with the optical quality of the TS-E 24mm II, but that lens doesn't exist, yet ... 

For product photography, a longer focal length has the effect of relative enlargement of the backdrop thus producing less clutter. That's why the 90mm is often used, although it can result in larger shooting distances for larger objects or scenes.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:51:07 am »

There are rumors of Canon updating this lens sooner than later.  That said, it is very sharp and a great lens.  It's one of my favorites for personal work (stitched landscapes, etc.)

Regarding the CA - using the shift throws off CA, the corrections needed are no longer centered to the lens.  So, a generic CA correction will not always work.  For myself, I don't find what Bart just mentioned (notes on shift, rotation, aperture) to be necessary.  In a raw convertor like Aperture you can use the CA correction and then paint it in where needed.  You can also use multiple instances of the CA correction. 

So, if an image needs different amounts of CA in different parts of the frame it's very quick to make the corrections and paint them in with a brush tool.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:17 am »

I've used a 45mm TS-E for almost 10 years. If I was forced to choose & use only one lens, it'd be the 45. Unlike others here, I like its softness when shot wide open. I rarely go past f4 when using it.

Last year my first 45mm TS-E was stolen. I bought a new one, pulled it out of the box and tested it. Within 5 shutter clicks, the camera seized up and the LCD panel said "LENS MALFUNCTION. APERTURE FAILURE. ERR: XXX" (I forget the error number). I sent it back and got another one. While it worked, it's image quality wasn't as good as my original. It did not retain focus across the image plane when the movements were zeroed out. I used it for a few months and eventually sent it in to Canon Repair. Image quality is now what I expect. My lesson: Canon's lenses do vary in quality.

When tilted to mid/extreme levels, you will see chromatic issues along lines of high contrast. These can be repaired with software, but it is a drag to have to deal with it.

That said, I'm waiting for the revised version. I don't know if/when Canon will produce one, but given the success of the 17mm TS-E and 24mm TS-E II, I'm hoping for three new features: circular aperture blades, SWC lens coating, rotating collar for lens tilt. If/when Canon puts these features on their 45mm TS-E and 90mm TS-E, I'll be as happy as a pig in mud.   8)
~ CB

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

45 is usable but not nearly as good as the rest. Get the 24T/S and the Canon 1.4 II Teleconverter maybe? Makes it into a 35 MOL. Even with the teleconverter the 24 is better than the 45 T/S
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

NigelC

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »

45 is usable but not nearly as good as the rest. Get the 24T/S and the Canon 1.4 II Teleconverter maybe? Makes it into a 35 MOL. Even with the teleconverter the 24 is better than the 45 T/S

Are you sure about that? I didn't think the rear element is recessed enough 'cos the 1.4/2 does project forward a bit. Like an idiot, I didn't think to try it when I had the 24 on hire last week I probably wouldn't have anyway for fear of damaging someone else's lens!

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:45:54 pm »

Yes, I'm sure. Otherwise I would have said, I've heard that...........I been using it for commercial shoots about three times a week for a few years. Do a search here. There is plenty of talk about the combo. It is on my blog too. What is really astonishing is that the quality remains so good-even shifted. It is better too than the Olympus 35 PC, which was the gold standard for 35/35mm shift lenses, that many architectural photographers used before this combo.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:48:26 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

NigelC

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

Yes, I'm sure. Otherwise I would have said, I've heard that...........I been using it for commercial shoots about three times a week for a few years. Do a search here. There is plenty of talk about the combo. It is on my blog too. What is really astonishing is that the quality remains so good-even shifted. It is better too than the Olympus 35 PC, which was the gold standard for 35/35mm shift lenses, that many architectural photographers used before this combo.

Well that's another compelling reason to get the 24 then.

NigelC

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:03:03 pm »

Hi Kirk

What degree of tilt do you get with 1.4X, or does it stay the same?

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:57:30 pm »

Frankly I rarely use much tilt. I have never tested it with the teleconverter fully tilted.,
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:38:52 pm »

Well that's another compelling reason to get the 24 then.

Just want to add, going back to your original post, it's a lot to expect the same lens to work for architecture and product.  I would think that you'll would find the 24 II +1.4x combo too wide for most product work.  The 45 TSE too long for most architecture work.

It's not really a situation where you can buy one lens to cover all the scenarios even if a 1.4x tele is added to the mix.

Kirk - thanks for the info. on the 24 TSE II + 1.4x.  I have both, along with the 45 TSE, but have not tested the 24 TSE II with the 1.4x.  Last time I tested was long ago with the v1 24 TSE with the 1.4x and never liked that combo.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:00:19 pm by JonRoemer »

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:18:01 pm »

Jon, Thanks, but I can't take credit for discovering that converter on the 24. One of the big time European APs that frequents this forum pointed it out awhile ago and I was very skeptical till I tested it and wow I was amazed. I promptly donated my Olympus 35PC to SAIC where I teach AP and never looked back.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

NigelC

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:09 am »

Just want to add, going back to your original post, it's a lot to expect the same lens to work for architecture and product.  I would think that you'll would find the 24 II +1.4x combo too wide for most product work.  The 45 TSE too long for most architecture work.

It's not really a situation where you can buy one lens to cover all the scenarios even if a 1.4x tele is added to the mix.

Fair point, but my point was it might work for some shots and a could therefore be an additional if infrequent application. From the comments above I would only rent 45, not buy as there is a fair chance of a new version. Optically, should be easier to design spectacular 45 tilt shift than a 17 or 24?
Pages: [1]   Go Up