Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skies and high dynamic range images  (Read 22138 times)

joofa

Re: Skies and high dynamic range images
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2011, 02:32:02 am »

The brightest f/stop of a 12 bit digital capture contains 2048 possible levels, but the actual number of perceivable levels is drastically limited by noise. Shot noise increases with exposure, but the signal:noise is highest in the brightest f/stop. For example, here is a 200x200 flat frame of the green1 channel of the Nikon D3. The mean pixel value is 8296, but the standard deviation is 175.
Regards,

Bill

The distribution of pixel photons/electrons in a real image (no flat frames) is not Poisson, in the usual sense you imply here.

Sincerely,

Joofa
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:34:25 am by joofa »
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

stamper

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2011, 06:22:08 am »

Quote ronkruger

All digital cameras are escentually computer controlled, hand-held processors in the first place, so it makes sense to me to start my control over processing within the camera and keep PP to the minimum.

Unquote

You maybe technically correct in your statement but I believe that this is the wrong way to go about things. IMO the camera should be used for getting exposure and composition right with all the controls set to as near zero as possible. You then import the image to the computer and process. The computer is undoubtedly a faster, more flexible and more powerful processor of images than any camera. If you get your settings  - over contrast and saturation - wrong in camera then you have sort them out in the computer which isn't easy so zeroing them in camera is best. Too much contrast and saturation affects exposure and they will cause over exposure. If you then underexpose in camera to prevent this then as Schewe points out you will have further problems. Ron you posted an image that I am re posting. Can you explain why is it the sky in the background is dull and not producing much light but the rocks in the foreground are light and under two of the rocks there are shadows that are from different directions. It looks like you added the sky to the image and forgot about the shadows. Forgive me if I am wrong in this assertion :) I think as Schewe and others points out you will have to up date your thinking. :)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:26:12 am by stamper »

ejmartin

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:43 am »

The distribution of pixel photons/electrons in a real image (no flat frames) is not Poisson, in the usual sense you imply here.

Sincerely,

Joofa

A point which is quite irrelevant to the present discussion.
emil

bjanes

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2011, 11:39:23 am »

Sincerely,

Joofa

Yes, we take pictures of real scenes, not flat fields. Since the signal:noise varies with photon flux, the flux has to be held constant for a proper experiment and we have to sample enough photons to get a valid sample size so as to yield a statistically valid standard deviation. A real scene could be broken down into regions and the standard deviation obtained by the process of integration. Shot noise is the predominant source of noise for all but the darkest regions of the image, where read  predominates (ignoring thermal noise and PRNU), and shot noise does follow a Poisson distribution. DXO does give a full SNR plot and also a value for 18%, which is often taken to represent average scene reflectance. I really don't get your point.

Regards,

Bill

stamper

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:02 am »

>Yes, we take pictures of real scenes, not flat fields.

This much I agree on :)

>Since the signal:noise varies with photon flux, the flux has to be held constant for a proper experiment and we >have to sample enough photons to get a valid sample size so as to yield a statistically valid standard deviation. A >real scene could be broken down into regions and the standard deviation obtained by the process of integration. >Shot noise is the predominant source of noise for all but the darkest regions of the image, where read  >predominates (ignoring thermal noise and PRNU), and shot noise does follow a Poisson distribution. DXO does give >a full SNR plot and also a value for 18%, which is often taken to represent average scene reflectance. I really >don't get your point.

>Regards,

>Bill

But how does the rest of your post equate to the reality of shooting an image, processing it and printing it? I doubt that most of the posters will be thinking in these terms when doing so. ::)

bjanes

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:31 am »

But how does the rest of your post equate to the reality of shooting an image, processing it and printing it? I doubt that most of the posters will be thinking in these terms when doing so. ::)

I think that in real world photography, the SNR will be worst in the shadows and can be improved by ETTR without clipping of channels. Hue twists introduced by non-linear exposure controls in some raw converters may be problematic in some cases.

Regards,

Bill

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:39 pm »

And in addition to what Bill already answered, noise in real image scenes is most noticeable in the areas with little detail, e.g. smooth gradients. When there is a lot of detail, it is usually harder to notice noise anyway.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

joofa

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »

Yes, we take pictures of real scenes, not flat fields.

With this understanding we can assume that experiments done using flat fields are not fully describing natural image situations.

Since the signal:noise varies with photon flux, the flux has to be held constant for a proper experiment and we have to sample enough photons to get a valid sample size so as to yield a statistically valid standard deviation.

For a flat field that makes sense. But the issue in the reality is that we have only a single photo and how do we define a measure of SNR, especially one coming from the shot noise? Classroom experiments and displaying power spectrum of flat fields, as many have done, does not answer that question, except reproducing well-known facts regarding white noise known in the signal processing for decades. At this stage we must have an awareness that if we are to tackle the reality of natural images, as in photography, then some of the basic models need to be developed further. It is possible that the situation may become too complicated, and some assumptions have to be put in. But, at the first stage there should be a realization that flat fields are not we are looking for.

A real scene could be broken down into regions and the standard deviation obtained by the process of integration.

Are you saying that you would quote me 5, 10, 20, ..., numbers, complete with area coordinates from which the respective SNRs in the seemingly uniform patches were derived,  regarding a simple question if I ask what is the measure noise in this picture that I took with my favorite camera?

Shot noise is the predominant source of noise for all but the darkest regions of the image, where read  predominates (ignoring thermal noise and PRNU), and shot noise does follow a Poisson distribution.

The operative word I used in my original message is the "usual" Poisson process, as done in flat fields. A natural image may still be described by a more complex Poisson process, with some very interesting properties.

DXO does give a full SNR plot and also a value for 18%, which is often taken to represent average scene reflectance. I really don't get your point.

Here is the point: What exactly is the meaning of standard deviation of shot noise being the square root of mean signal in digital imaging? As my example in the following links shows it is only applicable to group of images:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=51782.msg427055#msg427055

Not applicable to a single image, in general, which is usual photography - does one acquire 100 images of the same static scene just to get a better handle on shot noise? What is weakly applicable in the case of a single image is that the sqrt of a pixel electron/photon count gives an approximate handle on the standard deviation of noise, if the count is high enough. But this number is not the actual noise value on that pixel in a single picture, as sqrt is an average measure of noise if a large number of pictures had been acquired. Some interpretation of the validity of the sqrt of pixel count as being shot noise, which is almost always done without even the blink of an eye, is needed. Under what circumstances is that valid? For a single image that will basically boil down to transitioning from a temporal statistic to area statistic (i.e. spatial) in the neighborhood of a pixel. For example, if the signal variation in a pixel neighborhood is smooth enough, then what is the equivalence of pixel sqrt count to the area statistics. This issue is not as trivial as it is usually treated.

Sincerely,

Joofa
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up