Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto 210 (old version), 180 giant, elinchrom 195  (Read 4165 times)

Jozef Zajaz

Profoto 210 (old version), 180 giant, elinchrom 195
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »

Hi!

I'm switching to profoto and was wondering if anyone could tell me the diffrence between these 3. Anyone tried them all? I personally use the 195 octa.

Jozef Zajaz

Re: Profoto 210 (old version), 180 giant, elinchrom 195
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:01:44 am »

Noone?

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:46:26 pm »

i have the older profoto 210. its like a very expensive beach umbrella, works well, but not a perfect "parabolic" shape. I havent seen the new profoto "giants" (except in pictures), but i was talking to a guy from profoto and hew was saying that the shape is a lot better defined, as good as a bron para. the newer para ones are a lot more expensive, almost twice the price. it would be worth finding out whether the giant 180 has got the improved shape before you buy.
i dont know anything about elinchrom except they use to have a cool way of folding up large octas.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

BJNY

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:18:02 pm »

One difference is the Elinchrom's diffuser is double layer.

If you don't want/need parabolic shape,
perhaps the PLM umbrellas are worth considering, especially for the cost savings.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:27:33 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »

One difference is the Elinchrom's diffuser is double layer.

If you don't want/need parabolic shape,
perhaps the PLM umbrellas are worth considering, especially for the cost savings.

Now Billy.

You know no self respecting New York City Photographer would be seen dead on an editorial set using a White Lighting Modifier.

Come on man, get with the party, call up Patrick and ask him  Briese or Paul C. Bluff.   He'll call Stevie M. and ask him if Paul C. Bluff is some kind of fashion statement and if Stevie doesn't know about they'll stick with the briese.

Now if the White Lightening people would paint them yellow and black they'd sell them by the boat load, but I don't think that's their style.

All kidding aside I think the reason 90% of the reason people use parabolics is because 90% of everything shot in NY is on some kind of white background and with all that bounce in those white rooms you  have a little less spill  which makes for a more direct looking light.

Not 90% unique but about a 10% difference.

But in regards to the Elinchrome.  I think the head mounts way too close to the umbrella and without diffusion it is the same thing as using a smaller fixture.  I always mounted a head on a C stand and pulled it back and forth for adjustments, but you had to be
careful because one assistant bumping the angle of the head could lose you a stop.

The profotos may take up more room than a small Nissan Truck, but at least the head is at a distance to the umbrellas so  the light is pretty.

IMO

BC

P.S.   Name and build quality aside that Paul Bluff stuff really does work well.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:12:05 pm by bcooter »

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:13:22 am »

Hi!

I'm switching to profoto and was wondering if anyone could tell me the diffrence between these 3. Anyone tried them all? I personally use the 195 octa.

Jozef,

the main difference will be how you use them. The old profoto 7foot (the beach umbrella) is quite close to the octa. Very easy to use and pop up, no parabolic shape and a rough but shiny silver coating. The new giant ones have a parabolic shape and provide more "focussed" light. No idea if you would need it. I personally don´t like the big umbrellas as main light. The huge ones are nice to use as fill light, kind of giant ring flash. Broncolor para and Briese focus are a class of its own. Their silver surface is more plain and smooth, providing a more direct light. But if you use a thick diffuser they are all about the same  ;)

Cheers, Ulf

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:50 am »

snip... The profotos may take up more room than a small Nissan Truck, but at least the head is at a distance to the umbrellas so  the light is pretty... snip

You could move them folded  ;D , but seriously: the 7foot is one of the smallest to carry and the most simple to set up big umbrella we own.

Cheers, Ulf
Pages: [1]   Go Up