Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any downside to using v6 Pro versus v5 Pro with v5 sessions?  (Read 4083 times)

laarree

I do retouching as the bulk of my work.  Recently, I received entire Capture One 5 sessions from a photographer (who was shooting with both a Phase One digital back and a Canon DSLR) as the source of images for some composites I needed to produce.  I'm not familiar with Capture One (am a long-time Photoshop and Lightroom user), and had to figure out how pick up adjustments from various images and apply them to others, and to export images for use in Photoshop using the Capture One 5 demo version.

The photographer had commented a while back that he uses v5 because the adjustments he makes with it are not compatible in some way with the newer v6, which puzzled me.  Is this true in any way? If I was to buy a license for v6 Pro and open a session captured with v5, will there be any problems I should be aware of?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Re: Is there any downside to using v6 Pro versus v5 Pro with v5 sessions?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

No problem I've had opening C1-5 sessions in C1-6 and keeping the 5 adjustments -- in fact they're both .col50 files.  There was a conversion you needed to run to open C1-4 sessions (.col45's) in C1-5, but 6 appears backwards compatible with 5 -- or at least all of your 5 edits remain in place, including advanced CE edits.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:41:55 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

laarree

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:53:04 am »

Thanks for your input, Jack. I experimented with the v6 demo today, opening up a v5 session, and wondered WTF the photographer was talking about. Everything worked fine, except for sluggish performance, which seemed to be the same as with v5 (on a recent model Mac Pro with lots of memory and an SSD boot/apps drive).

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:48 am »

Check under Window > Activity to see if C1 is still building the cache/proxies for the images in that folder. If so performance will be sluggish - go get a coffee. C1 does much more math/work up front than LR/Aperture which do more math/work when you make adjustments. The downside is longer imports and folder opens (the first time you view a particular folder of images). The upside is you can select (e.g.) 800 images, change the white balance, exposure, lens corrections, etc etc of the first and then sync it to the other 800 in literally a minute or two and ALL the proxies, thumbnails, and preview images will be updated in that time (Aperture/Lightroom will make you think it's done with the sync, but then you'll watch as each thumbnail updates in the neighborhood of one per second).

6 is fully backwards-compatible with 5 sessions. Even better 5 is fully forward-compatible with 6 sessions excepting for the tools that were introduced in 6 (e.g. local adjustments or raw-level perspective control).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

laarree

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:24:20 pm »

Doug, thanks for the explanation of the sluggishess. I'm very new to C1, so I'm just reality-checking stuff here. The photographers I know who use C1 are more adept with the capturing end of the workflow, and not so much knowledgeable about technical details which I apparently will have to deal with.

B_D

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:30:57 am »

Hmm, I'd avoid doing this (without creating a full backup first at the very least). I've found that reopening a session in 5 that has been opened in 6 resulted in files needing to have settings reapplied as the program "loses" the settings. I've got loads of errors in the log and images loosing there settings. Events log reads:  Couldn't read image settings  The image was saved with a newer version of Capture One. - New default image settings created. Previous renamed by appending .newer

Because I downloaded a trial of  C1 6 I can't even tell if the .cos files appended .newer have my original settings. Lucky it was nothing crucial.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:33:03 am by B_D »

laarree

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:09:27 am »

I'm not talking about reopening anything in v5 after working in 6. I was wondering about whether 6 opens 5 sessions correctly. If I receive a session from a photographer, that original is preserved. I'm considering buying a license for v6 Pro so I can export to Photoshop, not make adjustments in C1 6 and pass the whole thing back to someone who will reopen this modified session back again in v5. If I needed to get licenses for both v5 AND v6 for some reason, that would be annoying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up