Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900, wasted time and ink  (Read 16984 times)

Unique Images

• http://www.uniqueimages.com.au
Re: Epson 9900, wasted time and ink
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 09:05:10 am »

I forgot to mention, I do not change to PK anymore, just not worth the hassles.  I solely use the 9900 for canvas printing.

Unique Images

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 01:13:52 am »

Just following up on the success I have had in service mode.  I wish this information was passed on by Epson/Techs instead of multiple printer parts and several replacement units (9900).  Ink usage is down on the printer, and excessive cleaning is also down.  I just completed a 20K canvas job, and had few issues, cleaning several times a day but no five hour cleaning sessions like before.

This has given me the confidence to hold onto the printer until I find the right Canon to meet my needs, thank you for everyone's help.

chaddro

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »

Just following up on the success I have had in service mode.  I wish this information was passed on by Epson/Techs instead of multiple printer parts and several replacement units (9900).  Ink usage is down on the printer, and excessive cleaning is also down.  I just completed a 20K canvas job, and had few issues, cleaning several times a day but no five hour cleaning sessions like before.

This has given me the confidence to hold onto the printer until I find the right Canon to meet my needs, thank you for everyone's help.

Epson Techs don't want you in service mode, and I'd never tell them you were in there if you're still under warranty. They seem funny about this.

I'm curious about your "cleaning several time a day" .... Do you think part of your bad nozzle issues could be from the canvas you are using? I've seen posts about canvas seemingly cause more nozzle issues due to having more free fibers on the surface of the paper.
What brand of Canvas are you using?

Unique Images

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 06:13:48 pm »

I am outside of the city, so technician costs are huge just for travel.  I have spent two to three times as long cleaning as printing for three years plus.  So the service mode is a real help to me.

Giclee Media, bright white canvas among others.  I have had the same issue with all of the Epson materials that I print on also, I only use Epson 260gsm Lustre for all photographic work.

Garnick

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:35 pm »

Obviously this thread goes back a ways and I chimed in almost a year ago here with some issues I was experiencing.  As with one other post I am now trying to solve the MK black banding problem.  I cannot print any image with a solid black with MK on the 9900.  I've tried all sorts of combinations of settings, both in the driver and on the control panel with no success.  Last week I had my 6th or 7th(I'd have to refer to my log) service call within the first two years and getting very frustrated with the wasted time, ink, paper and money involved.  During the last service call the tech installed the 4th cap/cleaning station and the left ink bay(leaking yellow).  He then did numerous tests and alignments to try to get rid of the banding, which he said he had not seen before.  I spent most of the next day testing with a purely black image file and could NOT print without banding.  I spent the rest of the week printing quite successfully with PK.  Today was rather slow but did do some printing this morning.  Interruptions and then back to printing this afternoon, at which time the Lt Cyan was almost totally gone.  Ran several pairs cleanings and one power pairs cleaning, but to no avail.  Then I decided to look under the hood.  I opened the front cover and got a strong light in there to examine the ink lines.  To my horror I noticed an air bubble in the Lt Cyan line not far from the left ink bay.  Called the tech and he asked me to run another Power pairs clean to see if the bubble would move.  It did move about 14 " and I could then see the extent of the air.  The bubble was five and a half inches long.  Ran another clean and finally had the Lt Cyan back so I ran a couple of prints.  Tomorrow morning I'll try to get another print finished before the air bubble reaches the head.  Then more cleaning cycles to clear that.  My history with this printer is now dictating another call to Epson probably tomorrow and this will be the big one.  I am at least going to lobby for a second warranty extension and I want Epson to waive the cost.  I'll see how well that goes over.  Other wise I'm going to approach the possibility of a replacement printer.  Should be an interesting conversation I imagine.  I'll keep you posted.

Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Unique Images

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »

I have been very happy with Epson providing replacement printers and parts, but the travel cost and tech costs have killed me.  Not as much as the wasted time, and of course ink.  I believe the printers are just badly designed, and anyone with repeated issues should ask for a full refund and start out with a Canon.  Sure you won't be trouble free, but i imagine it would be hard to find any technology that could waste as much precious time as my Epson 9900.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up