Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hang- glide Rob!  (Read 7456 times)

michswiss

Re: Hang- glide Rob!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:47 pm »

Aside from the whinging and politics, you guys are lucky.  I haven't been able to do any significant shooting, much less anything else for the last half year due to some damned illness.  It's hard to shoot street when just walking is a problem.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 03:24:07 am »

No mention of Ireland as yet in this rather gloomy thread and surely we are as worthy of note as any other basket case economy in Europe.

Don't panic! I hear that Sir Bob Geldof is planning a concert in Ethiopia to raise funds for the Irish - hang in there! ;)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 05:47:35 am »

Patricia

Yes, there is no doubt that the mind mirrors gloom outside the window. There is also no doubt that life is filled with opportunity should one seek it out. And there lies the root of many problems: initiative falls away with greyness. Summer presents an entirely different mental panorama - just being outside the four walls cheers one up no end.

Alone. Well no, I don't really think I feel that way; I do not even feel abandoned, which some have suggested I might, because things happened before she died that demonstrated that even at the end of her life she was more concerned with how I would fare on my own, than of herself. The one thing I never had to doubt was love. And that's probably the hardest bit to take: that someone could care so much and then be gone, physically if never in spirit and legacy of everything else that I now share with me, myself and I.

I look out of the french windows and see the signature of all the green finger magic she wove; I see there also the decay that I seem to be unable to delay or cancel out in any effective way: some empty pots where there would be seasonal flowers; terrace furniture for which she made the cushions; tablecloths for outside lie unused on the shelf, even those for indoors are unused and, horror of horrors, snacks on the sofa are become commonplace as are the crumbs and now a single olive oil stain from an errant piece of sardine-on-toast. I can hardly believe what I've just confessed: sar-effin'-dines! Out of a tin, when the real deal awaits in any fish shop.

Justin

I accept your expat position as pretty much a reflection of my own, with the difference that after a hopeless attempt to work within the local economy, I retreated to the previous status quo and did what was available from outside the country.

So, I justify my continued presence as being a total plus to the economy, in that everything I spend comes from outside and gets injected (too fast!) here. To compete with the local people is not a good idea – I would have objected to anyone else coming into my little corner of the Glasgow-that-was and trying to steal my clients as I expect the folks here must feel about the many bar owners from abroad, even though many of them fail to realise just what they have attempted to undertake and then vanish, leaving unpaid bills behind them.

But I can not agree about the rôle of government: I feel the less it does the better, and as far as ensuring work for the citizens, that is the job of the individual to organize for himself. Real, valid work comes from one source: the need for a product or service, and that can occupy the time of a single person or, should he/she need the input, provide employment for others, too. But the flaw that seems to have crept into the mind of many is that this ‘employment’ has some statutory right to exist. No, it only exists as long as somebody needs the employee. And that, basically, is it. Tough, but real life. It’s up to the individual to create work for himself or be so valued for his attributes that others beat a path to his doorway bearing offers of employment.

In the end, the fit and able useless have only themselves to blame for their predicament.

So what’s for government to do? Provide and ensure public safety, keep the nation protected from external (or internal) threat; provide the framework, the legal system within which people can live their lives in peace without fear of nightfall and unlit streets; look after the needs of the sick if they can’t manage for themselves, provide the means to raise public funds to ensure all of that and, perhaps most of all, allow and encourage the freedom to express views on any topic at all. And to do all of this with the minimum of public employees and the fewest governmental organisations possible.  Anything beyond that is probably fine-tuning or even intrusion. In other words, less is more.

Bikes

My son had a scrambles bike whilst he lived here for a short while, I rode it once or twice, having had a licence for many years, but didn’t really take to the vulnerability of being on it. It isn’t about the self, it’s about the other guy in the car or truck or bus: he doesn’t know you exist unless you have a Harley, when he knows you are around, even if you are actually on another street around the corner. In a post-apocalyptic situation, yes, if I could figure out how to get the gas station stuff to work.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 05:48:46 am »

Don't panic! I hear that Sir Bob Geldof is planning a concert in Ethiopia to raise funds for the Irish - hang in there! ;)

Now that post cheered me up!

Rob C

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 06:27:52 am »

Now that post cheered me up!

Rob C

My work here is done. :)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »

Aside from the whinging and politics, you guys are lucky.  I haven't been able to do any significant shooting, much less anything else for the last half year due to some damned illness.  It's hard to shoot street when just walking is a problem.

I didn't now you were hampered - your work looks so free.

I wish you a good recovery.

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 12:12:58 pm »

Yes, there is no doubt that the mind mirrors gloom outside the window. There is also no doubt that life is filled with opportunity should one seek it out. And there lies the root of many problems: initiative falls away with greyness. Summer presents an entirely different mental panorama - just being outside the four walls cheers one up no end.

Alone. Well no, I don't really think I feel that way; I do not even feel abandoned, which some have suggested I might, because things happened before she died that demonstrated that even at the end of her life she was more concerned with how I would fare on my own, than of herself. The one thing I never had to doubt was love. And that's probably the hardest bit to take: that someone could care so much and then be gone, physically if never in spirit and legacy of everything else that I now share with me, myself and I.

I look out of the french windows and see the signature of all the green finger magic she wove; I see there also the decay that I seem to be unable to delay or cancel out in any effective way: some empty pots where there would be seasonal flowers; terrace furniture for which she made the cushions; tablecloths for outside lie unused on the shelf, even those for indoors are unused and, horror of horrors, snacks on the sofa are become commonplace as are the crumbs and now a single olive oil stain from an errant piece of sardine-on-toast. I can hardly believe what I've just confessed: sar-effin'-dines! Out of a tin, when the real deal awaits in any fish shop.

Rob C

Rob..., those three paragraphs have the making of a delicious intimate memoir (which could easily become part of a series, and would do well supported by beautifully toned  B&W's of those flower pots, and sardine oil etc..., Ill bet you could come up with some real beauties from within and maybe outside in the cold and screaming Mistral...I don't know, I just feel the germination of a quite nice piece of writing/photography lurking with you there ...  (and personally, tinned sardines and mackeral from once floushing Port Clyde always travelled in my pack...instant health/stronger bones.....it does not shame me to say I miss these canneries and the amazing watermen ,wives and families they supported) I hope you find a sheltered spot (not through glass,) to get a bit of sun on skin/face/arms to recharge your batteries...we're almost over the hump now...hang in there!
A common woman~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 12:27:44 pm »

... there is no doubt that the mind mirrors gloom outside the window. There is also no doubt that life is filled with opportunity should one seek it out. And there lies the root of many problems: initiative falls away with greyness. Summer presents an entirely different mental panorama - just being outside the four walls cheers one up no end...

Ah, Rob, what you just so poetically described is known, sadly enough (pun intended), as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), also known as "winter depression" or "winter blues". The best remedy they say, especially for photographers, is to install full-spectrum, daylight-balanced strong lamps throughout the house. Think of it as a perfect white-balance compliment to window light and flash. ;)

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »

Patricia

Memoirs. I used to wish that my mother would sit right down and write her memoirs, but she never did: spent her time with Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury set on her mind and in her hands. She would enter a world of her own with never the time to put on paper anything about herself. And there was so much she could have written - in at least three languages. Another waste.

But that happens all the time, I guess, and we end up with the crap in the movies or on tv instad of the more interesting reality.

Slobodan

In the same vein: I'm sure your own life would be interesting reading. SAD is too true; hits several people I know, my bro-in-lo in particular. But, not even he can do what he'd like, and no money worries there, just other pressures.

Rob C

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up