Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replaced cartridge - catastrophe! (Canon Pro 9000 II)  (Read 1099 times)

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
Replaced cartridge - catastrophe! (Canon Pro 9000 II)
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:04:17 pm »

I have been very happy with the colour accuracy from my new printer.

This morning, the photo magenta ink ran out mid print, so I swapped in a new cartridge, but now it looks terrible. All colour prints look just like the final one which ran out of ink.

Looking at the actual cartridge itself there are a couple of white spots, which looks like the ink isn't fully soaking into the "sponge" where the ink exits the cartridge.

I have run a couple of tests from the maintenance utility:
Firstly running a nozzle check.
Then running a head alignment.
All seemed okay - the nozzle check did print a clean patch of PM. But the photo prints were horrible.

I am printing from Lightroom and kept all my settings the same (using profiles provided by the paper manufacturers), tried rebooting the printer and the Mac. It seems unlikely that the problem could be there though, as it went wrong in the middle of printing a batch, and after swapping cartridges suddenly looked terrible.

I have to replace a couple of other cartridges now too, so I think I will try a new PM at the same time.
Has anyone else ever had a dodgy cartridge? Could it be a bad lot of ink? Could something have been reset in the printer? I am confused and not a little alarmed!

Any advice from wiser and more experienced heads most welcome.

Aristoc

Re: Replaced cartridge - catastrophe! (Canon Pro 9000 II)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:40 am »

How is the new cartridge working? Is the problem resolved? If so, return the broken cart.

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
Re: Replaced cartridge - catastrophe! (Canon Pro 9000 II)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:29:03 pm »

Replaced the PM cartridge with a new one, and a couple of others at the same time.

All is now well again!

*phew*

Course, owing to the amazingly low price I managed to get the printer for (£167 brand new) I have now spent more on ink and paper than the printer itself. In only 2 months. But a lot less than I would have getting the prints done at a print studio.

Pages: [1]   Go Up