Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLaFansTrip  (Read 1347 times)

Rob C

LuLaFansTrip
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:46:23 am »

I thought I'd place this here rather than over on the other thread about Tuscany, deserted villages and group travel ideas where the current notion first took root.

Also, I offer an alternative location suggestion. This by no means is intended to diminish, nor in any way affect the viability or otherwise, of a group of us joining up for a jaunt in Tuscany.

My alternative suggestion is based on web research that I did last year on the Canal du Midi and the opportunities for photography and a good experience both mental and gastronomic (some say they are one and the same) and so I pass on, here, two websites that more or less say all there is to say about the place and why one might wish to spend time there. They do, of course, provide links to much more.

http://www.beyond.fr/sites/canalmidi.html

http://www.creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/activities/canal-hotel-barges.php

My original idea had been to cover the stretch of canal between Toulouse and the Med in the east by booking myself into two different locations, each about a third of the way from either end of that section of it. I did really want to go by boat, but on my own it would be all work and very little fun, and going with somebody I hardly know would be too intimate in a small vessel; hence the hotel idea. The best thing I could think of was using the excellent Logis de France system, which consist of a large grouping of family-owned hotels. The two-chimney rated ones I used in the past were modest, comfortable and with really exquiste food.

The floating hotels listed in the above site are rather expensive (for me) but probably the best way of doing the thing short of with one's own familly. Also, if it's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing (again, for me), why stint on it - I think I'd pay and enjoy. Unless it pours. ;-)

What do folks think about this?

Rob C

fredjeang

Re: LuLaFansTrip
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:59:27 am »

Hi Rob,

The peniche (boat) option is really good and allows you to stop where you can't otherwise. They train you for a day and then you're on your own,very easy. Don't know the cost but I know it is not expensive because I have a friend who did it and he is not at all a wealphy guy. If you could find some Lu-La members to go with you that would be nice.
It's worth the trip.

If you could bring some female models, I'm coming! Otherwise I'd be there with the camera without knowing what to shoot. You take the stills, I film.
(actually I could see if I could convince some women for a trip on boat, not kidding)

We transform the peniche into a floating fashion studio and here we are on track. Back to the golden!

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:05:18 am by fredjeang »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:53:19 am »

I have a vacation in the US in October and possibly to Bali in June, but I might be able to fit a week in southern Europe or France - and would be very interested in going on a trip with like-minded people, especially since I'm still not convinced that actual workshops give me much ROI.

I've looked at river cruises on Danube before, and they also look nice. The ones you linked to, Rob, seem reasonable, although not cheap at around 3k EUR per week (I'm assuming full-board which does make it more palatable).

Would it make sense to collect a list of locations or trips and setup a poll so we could get as many people as possible? In case others agree that's a good idea, I'll add mine:

- Danube cruise in eastern Europe, from Budapest in Hungary to Bucharest in Romania.
- Sevilla-Cordoba-Granada in Andalucia (southern Spain). Former moorish sites avoiding the tourist hell of the coastal cities, from flamenco in Sevilla to the magnificent Alhambra in Granada. June-July or September, August is too hot and crowded

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24:50 am »

Hi Rob,

The peniche (boat) option is really good and allows you to stop where you can't otherwise. They train you for a day and then you're on your own,very easy. Don't know the cost but I know it is not expensive because I have a friend who did it and he is not at all a wealphy guy. If you could find some Lu-La members to go with you that would be nice.
It's worth the trip.

If you could bring some female models, I'm coming! Otherwise I'd be there with the camera without knowing what to shoot. You take the stills, I film.
(actually I could see if I could convince some women for a trip on boat, not kidding)

We transform the peniche into a floating fashion studio and here we are on track. Back to the golden!
Cheers.,

Yes, but do they expect to make money out of it? I am willing to act as unpaid chaperon (why do I pick unpopular, unnecessary jobs?) - probably the best rĂ´le anyone could find for me - but like you, the problem of 'what to shoot' has haunted me ever since I retired, as you know. What we need is for Cooter to take over a lux barge for a shoot and to hire us both as assistants... (I only half joke).

Regarding the time of year: I have travelled through southern France in September a few times, and though much warmer than later in the year, one has to bear in mind that it gets pretty cold there too. The Spanish bit just cross the border, the Costa Brave, is called that because of the storms that come in; the Mistral is no fantasy and it hits the Balearics too. Like right now. Sunny, but not worth washing the car because the salt will be covering it again by morning.

feppe: my wish would be to drive to wherever the vessel gets picked up so that I can load up with French goodies for the return trip home. To the hire of the barge costs I already have to add ferries and fuel etc. so far drives become even more expensive in my case.

Direct flights anywhere not directly served by the package companies are also difficult from the island - I don't think I can even get direct flights to Toulouse or Bordeaux from Palma and have to go to Barcelona or Madrid first.

But that's just my problem and others will face different logistics.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:52:09 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up