Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Mexico & GH2 Adventure  (Read 4029 times)

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
My Mexico & GH2 Adventure
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »

I was excited when MR announced he was heading to Mexico with only his GH2. I had the same plan - but in Ixtapa. Mine arrived just a few days before the departure. I read the manual on the plane.  My plan was to do a lot of street shooting, ala MR's recent work. Unfortunately the North American respiratory virus that is taking people down was delivered to me by other passengers on the plane, and I was only able to get out one day. And that was with a taxi driver, I couldn't walk too much.

Still, I was pretty happy with what I got in a short time and not being too familiar with the camera. These were all shot with the 14-140mm. The light weight and touristy look was really a treat (compared to lugging my 5D2 and big lenses).  I'll be going to San Miguel in October/November and am looking forward to trying it again.

Bob
 ht

Dick Roadnight

Re: My Mexico & GH2 Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:36:00 am »

I was excited when MR announced he was heading to Mexico with only his GH2. I had the same plan -
 These were all shot with the 14-140mm. The light weight and touristy look was really a treat (compared to lugging my 5D2 and big lenses). 
I am thinking about the GF2 and GH2, with the 14 -140 and the 20mm f1.7... how does the IQ compare to the 5D2?

I am looking for a "pro" camera I can use with pro studio flash systems and my Nikon lenses... can the camera be fired remotely?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:48:43 am »

I am thinking about the GF2 and GH2, with the 14 -140 and the 20mm f1.7... how does the IQ compare to the 5D2?

I am looking for a "pro" camera I can use with pro studio flash systems and my Nikon lenses... can the camera be fired remotely?

Dick, IMHO the GH2 doesn't really compare to the 5D2. I suppose it isn't a fair fight. The 5D2's full size (35mm) sensor vs the m4/3rds of the Panasonic. The many generations of Canon digital bodies. The GH2 sensor is noisy. Despite what some of the reviews say, I don't think iso 800 is very usable.

I think the real comparison is against point and shoots, and super zooms. Here the GH2 gives you true DSLR type control, ability to change lenses, etc.

At this time anyway, in order to get the fabulous portability of the GH2, you have to give up something (as compared to full size DSLR) and that would be IQ.  As to your last question, the GH2 does not seem like the right tool for that job.
Bob
 ht

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:28:59 pm »

Bob, You're right, but as I'm sure you realize, for the kind of pictures you were doing the GH2 is less obtrusive, and therefore less threatening than the 5D2. Even better wouild be a mirrorless, like the Olympus E-P2. Same good-enough IQ, less bulk. People think you're a tourist with a point-and-shoot.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:24 pm »

Bob, You're right, but as I'm sure you realize, for the kind of pictures you were doing the GH2 is less obtrusive, and therefore less threatening than the 5D2. Even better wouild be a mirrorless, like the Olympus E-P2. Same good-enough IQ, less bulk. People think you're a tourist with a point-and-shoot.

+1 for the Olympus E-P2. It's an outstanding street camera with in-body image stabilization. So whatever lens you put on it you got your stabilization. My only reservations regarding that camera are the rather middling kit lenses they make for it. I use mine with my old Nikkor AI lenses and a Voigtlander adapter. Much better glass, albeit manual focus. But not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Another camera you should look at is the Fujifilm X100. It has a built-in f2.0/35mm equivalent lens (which may be a dealbreaker for some folks), so you are stuck with one lens. The good news is the lens is amazing and has really good bokeh. The camera is similar concept to the Leica X1, but imo it's going to blow the Leica out of the water. It will be released on March 11, and most retailers have pre-sold their initial allotment. The high ISO samples I've seen from it have knocked my socks off. Even ISO 12800 is useable! Unbelievable in a compact camera.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:11:14 pm by popnfresh »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:06:51 pm »

Pop, Yes, Olympus's kit zooms leave something to be desired. But their 17mm prime isn't bad, nor is their 25mm prime. I put the 25 on en E-P1 and  a Leica 50mm auxiliary finder in the hot shoe. With zone focus it's a pretty good 50mm-like combination on the street, where absolute IQ isn't critical.

I'd love to see a full-frame mirrorless along with a compact 50mm lens, and I suspect we're going to see a few of those beasts before long. I loved my Leicas in film days, but the M9 appears to have such a limited ISO range and such low reliability that I wrote it off. The Fuji X100 would be fine if it had interchangeable lenses, but with a fixed 35mm equivalent.. I don't think so.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »

Clearly the X100 isn't for everyone, but I think within a certain niche of street photographer it's a hot ticket. I should have mine in about a month.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:12:43 pm by popnfresh »

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

The GH2 is mirrorless. That's why it is so small. The viewfinder is an EVF. It works really well.  This small DSLR type format works well for me, there is a nice grip. It's a bit easier to hold than the rangefinder style, albeit a bit larger.
Bob
 ht

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:32:55 pm »

Forgot to say, that yes looking like a tourist instead of a pro/mega-enthusiast is a real advantage in this setting.
Bob
 ht

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 04:36:35 pm »

I guess I'll be the first to comment on the photos you posted.  I really like them!  I like your eye for street composition.  Regardless of the camera you used, you have some great work here! 

For the record, I have an E-P2, and I'll echo the general sentiment...good body, so-so kit lens.  I'm torn between getting the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95, although I'm leaning toward the pancake.  It does beat carrying around my D700 with 24-70mm attached, although image quality does indeed suffer.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 05:58:35 pm »

I guess I'll be the first to comment on the photos you posted.  I really like them!  I like your eye for street composition.  Regardless of the camera you used, you have some great work here! 

Thank you so much, Jason. I was hoping someone might comment on the images themselves. Given that I have done this only a couple of times, I thought the results were pretty reasonable, and am encouraged to do more.  Most of my decent work is hard won, there are only a few photographic areas where I think I have some natural ability. If I had it with street photography, that would be thrilling!

Bob
 ht
Pages: [1]   Go Up