Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?  (Read 1397 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:39:42 am »

I would like to buy a few natural density graduated filters. Lee or the Singh-Ray ones... I am not sure which size I should buy. I would like to use them with my Canon 17-40mm f/4 lens (filter size 77mm) or I can borrow my friends Nikon 14-24mm 2.8g lens.
Which filter size should I buy? The 4x6 is twice as much...
Thanks!

Paul Sumi

Re: Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:18:10 pm »

Which filter size should I buy? The 4x6 is twice as much...

I am currently using P-sized Singh-Ray GNDs with my Canon 17-40.  You can definitely use them in a filter holder down to 17mm with a crop FOV camera, although you probably can't stack filters (possible vignetting).  I haven't tested this set up at 17mm with a FF camera.

That said, the 4 x 6 filters are mostly used hand-held with 35mm format cameras, not in a filter holder.  The larger size makes them easier to hold and not get one's fingers in the picture.  The advantages of hand-held GND filters are speed and convenience.  The downside is that they are more prone to scratching.

I personally intend to replace my P filters with 4 x 6 as they get too scratched to use. But as you note, it's an expensive proposition.

If the cost makes you hesitate and you have Lightroom or Photoshop CS5, you might try its Graduated Neutral Density filter to see if that works for you.

Paul

Lakeridge

Re: Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:58:03 pm »

I was in the same boat, which filter set? Chose Lee 4x6 as those were the only ones I could find (and they're good ones). Can't find a filter holder so will hand hold like Paul suggested. An option with the 4x6 is that you can move the hard/soft edge up or down depending on where you need the edge. With round or squares moving up or down would be limited if not impossible.

A camera shop person told me that Cokin is in chapter 11 or bankrupt and is reorganizing and Lee had a fire in their factory. The only ones available apparently are the expensive Sing-Rays unless, like I did, found a local large camera store that had some in stock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up